Fat Kitten?

Michelle FielderMichelle Fielder Member Posts: 1
edited 7 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Bucky was eating solid food and then half a can of wet food in the morning and night for the last 10 weeks, and has been fine with that, but now that doesn't seem to be enough. He wants an entire can of food in the morning and at night, and eats the other cat's foods too. He is 17 weeks, so is this him going through a growth spurt, or is he getting fat? The can says to feed him as much as he wants, but is that too much for him?

Comments

• Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 5 March, 2010
    Bucky is still young enough to be fed as much as he wants to eat. I noticed that when my cat\'s were kittens that they definately went through periods were they were always hungry and other times when they were less so. He is almost definately getting ready for a growth spurt, so feed away! Purrs, Shade
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 6 March, 2010
    I agree with Shade. When we first got Sootball, at 3 weeks old. He was eating can after can of Max Kitten food. So I brought home some Max Kitten dry and that helped a lot. Now he is a shinny and healthy young cat . Now what you feed is totally up to you of course. Good Luck and please keep us informed. Peace
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 6 March, 2010
    Kittens do need alot of calories in a day, though I will ask what kind of food are you feeding? Some foods are higher in protein than others, so the higher the protein the less it needs to eat, and more satisfied your kitten will be.
  • jo brannenjo brannen on my couchMember Posts: 34
    edited 6 March, 2010
    in my opinion it might be a good idea to start mixing a half cup of dry food with a half cup of wet food morning and evening. then after a couple of weeks set out a bowl about the size of a 3 pound butter bowl(you know, country crock, etc) and leave it out full of food . that way when ever your kitten is hungry they can help themselves. If you have to fill the bowl more than twice a week then your kitty has an overeating problem an the food intake would have to be monitored....But my kitty does well with the bowl being filled once a week.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 6 March, 2010
    Cocoa, I hope that by mixing, you don't mean the actual food. Dry food should not be moistened, by wet food or otherwise, as adding moisture can cause bacteria to grow on it, and it could make your kitten sick. I agree with Shade. Both my cats were fed on demand as kittens, and with the highest protein food possible. Food with a higher protein content is pricier, yes, but you find that your kitty will be more easily satisfied with the food, and not keep begging for more. Up until six months, most vets recommend that kittens need to be free fed if necessary. Afterward, you can start getting your kitten used to specific measured meals, but do remember that a kitten's meal requirements are always higher than an adult. They use a lot of those extra calories up because they're (a) more active and (b) going through several growth spurts. I'm not sure if we are typical cats around here (we're both on the big side, not as in fat, but as in long), but we had growth spurts at 3 months, 4 months, 6-7 months, and again at 10 months. After we turned 1, we stopped growing long, but we filled out so that we became less gangly. Your kitten will be just fine. You don't really have to worry about excessive weight gain unless they're 9-10 months and visibly fat. That hardly ever happens, btw.
  • jo brannenjo brannen on my couchMember Posts: 34
    edited 6 March, 2010
    i guess I should have been more specific...when i said leave out a big bowl of food, I didnt mean of the mixed.....i meant of only dry cat food...this is what i have done with each of my cats and it works well...sorry for the confusion...tehe, whoops!
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 7 March, 2010
    It's Stella. Are you sure that you are not feeding any unwelcome guests within Bucky, like worms? Make sure that he is clear of them, by taking a sample of his poo to get tested. But otherwise you should feed him the best food possible as much as he wants. You never worry about kittens being fat unless they have the kind of big belly on them that means they have worms. They go through so many growth spurts that you just need to feed them and wait until they grow up and see how big they turn out to be. Kittens are not like puppies, who can be anywhere from tiny to great Danes, but there is some variance there.