I need to go on a diet!

Topaz TopazTopaz Topaz Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
edited 12 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I went to the vet yesterday for my annual appointment and the vet said I was overweight and need to lose a few pounds. I weigh 13.12lbs. I don't remember the vet saying what I should weigh but just said I had to lose weight. My people don't know how to help me even though they read the info on feline obesity from a link on this site. They are confused about what food to feed me. I currently eat 1/2 cup of Pro Plan Selects Salmon and rice and 1 can of pro plan selects in various flavors every day. Is there a better brand of food I should be eating? My mommy likes the pro plan because she says it doesn't have any by-products and has less grains/carbs. I started eating pro plan about two months ago. Before that, I was eating Meow Mix indoor 1 cup a day and a special food that helped with urinary tract disorders. My mommy says that I gained weight when I started the special food for urinary tract disorders. Please help us! I want to make sure I'm fed enough so I'm not cranky but I want to lose weight to keep me healthy! I get at least 20 minutes of exercise with my mommy a day and lots of running around with my brothers and sister.

Comments

• Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 11 March, 2010
    Canned food only on a limited feeding schedule (instead of free fed) would be the best for an overweight cat. There is a formula for calculating calories needed per day, I will have to see if I can find it. But ideally most cats do not need more than 150-200 calories per day. This site Cat Nutrition Article on Obesity has a lot of great information as well as pictures of a cat who was severely obese and is now at a normal weight.
  • Topaz TopazTopaz Topaz Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited 11 March, 2010
    I used to be free fed but when I went on the special food for my pee that stopped. I'm fed four times a day. 1.5 oz at 530am, 1.5 oz at 730am and then 1.5 oz at 6pm and 1.5 oz at 830pm. Mom told me today that she was not letting me have the dry food anymore.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 11 March, 2010
    Not sure if Pro Plan has grains in it or not but grains are attributed to obesity in cats, so you might want to switch to a grain free canned food if you can. Something like Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Solid Gold Indigo Moon (not sure if that comes in canned) Innova EVO etc. Although I'm told that the 'cheapest' canned food is better than the Best dry food. We know how the free feeding transition goes, it took us a while to quit 'begging/screaming' for food but now we are good eaters and enjoy our canned food.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 12 March, 2010
    The site catinfo.org is a very informative site for Obesity, and urinary problems. =; Some good canned foods are: Wellness grain free Evo 95% line of canned foods Evo cat and kitten Felidae grain free Weruva,( not fish flavours) Merrricks before grain. Im sure there is more, but those are the ones off the top of my head. No more dry food or prescription food, there is just to many species inappropriate ingredients in those foods, like powdered cellulose (sawdust), Grains, Salt,(makes cat drink) so unnatural. The list goes on.
    edited 12 March, 2010
    P.S.... You should be getting about 250 calories a day at that weight, but to loose, around about 206 calories a day, you want to do this very slowly. The site catinfo.org will explain all of this. :)
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Thank you! My mommy read catinfo.org and found it to be very very helpful! Daddy doesn't agree with some of the things he read but he is fairly new to cat ownership and mommy will some how find a way to convince him. I am starting day two of my all wet diet of pro plan selects. Mommy said I am eating slower and I was the last to finish at all meals when I'm usually the first. Once I lose the weight, will I still have to eat the same amount to maintain it? Or can it be increased a little bit?
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Not sure why Daddy would not agree with it, as cats are obligate carnivores:)) You would give the same amount, you would not increase the food. Take weight of cat times that by 13.6, and add 70 this will give you the amount of calories to feed in a day to your cat.
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Daddy is new to cat ownership. But hopefully with further research, he will understand the needs of a cat. According to the formulation you provided, I am allowed to eat 256 calories a day! Mommy was thinking about giving me about 150-180 seeing how that's the calories in two cans of my kitty food. This is great news and hopefully I won't be underfed anymore!! I was eating about 350 calories a day before my diet started. Is this enough of a cut in calories to promote weight loss? Mommy has also increased my exercise. I get to play with her all by myself for 10 minutes three times a day!
    edited 12 March, 2010
    At the catinfo.org site click on the left side of page (obesity in cats) scroll down to the part "How much to feed" I think that 150-180 is a bit to less to feed. Are you 13.2 lbs or 14 lbs I forget?:r
    edited 12 March, 2010
    I will check that site out later on today to get a better idea of how much i should be eating! I weigh 13.12lbs.
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Ok I just reread your post, you are 13.12 lbs. So at that weight you would be eating 250 calories a day, though you should aim for 12 lb weight for now, so 233 calories a day and see how that goes. One has to be very carefull when dieting as a liver disease called Hepatic Lipidosis can occur.
    edited 12 March, 2010
    I think that's one of the scary things is trying to figure out how much to feed without it being too little or too much. I wish there was a scale available at the house to use. I will most likely take Baron to the vet next week or the week after to have him weighed to see if he's losing weight too quickly or not at all. Its hard trying to figure out how many calories are in the cat food he eats considering I've seen different numbers! Cat food is so tricky!!! This is Baron's mommy speaking!