Acceptable Dry for Urine Issues

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 12 April, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Is there a dry food that is acceptable for urinary issues? Only 1 of my kitties will be eating it as she can't/won't eat canned food due to balance issues from Cerebral Hypoplasia (basically pecks at her food like a hyper chicken). Mom knows that canned food is absolute best but we've tried all types (chunks, slivers, normal wet etc) and Mini Dee has such a hard time with it, she will starve rather than eat. So we need the 'best' possible food for Urinary Issues.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Unfortunately there is no appropriate dry food for Urinary issues. Have you tried Baby food with no onion or garlic in it? Or sprinkling Parmesan cheese on the food, or even some Tuna juice (skipjack only) This may help entice her to eat. Sorry I do not understand why wet food would be hard for her to eat compared to dry? Could you raise the dish making it easier? http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html I wish I had a better answer for you.:((
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 12 March, 2010
    Shadow; Mini Dee has Cerebral Hypoplasia, is missing the connection for her motor skills in her brain. When she eats she pecks/bobs her head up and down/shakes so when she trys to eat canned food a lot of times it gets in her face up her nose etc which really upsets her. She doesn't have the 'normal' motor skills that normal cats have, the best way to describe it is she walks/acts like she's hammered most of the time. We did try giving her some canned food last night, mommy really watered it down and she did like about 10 licks of it, which is a start....so mommy will continue to work with her on that, hopefully we can get her switched over eventually as well. But in the past she will sometimes lick it a couple times then walks away. She already doesn't eat enough for her size and is a little underweight at the moment so that's another thing we battle.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 13 March, 2010
    Would it be easier for her to eat something more gravy like and less pate like? Maybe like Merrick. It is gravy with actual chinks of meat in it. Might that be easier?? Weruva is another one I know that is a gravy style.
  • Grace WangGrace Wang Member Posts: 5
    edited 11 April, 2010
    I agree with the others that wet food is best. While you work out a solution, maybe you can try Wysong's Uretic (I don't have any experience with this food, but it seems to have better ingredients that the vet prescribed diets) and a water fountain for your cat?
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April, 2010
    My cats were on the Purina c/d dry food but I would not recommend it. Dry food is just not good for cats. I was told to add water to it but how much can you add. I have gone to wet food here.... Bamcat
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 12 April, 2010
    My cats are on Purina One Urinary Tract Health dry but they get mostly wet food. My vet says she has had great success with cats being free of Urinary problems when put on this food. It does not have the greatest ingredients but sometimes we have to do what we have to do. Best of luck.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 12 April, 2010
    guys, she is asking about dry, not wet. i think she knows wet is the best. having said that, i dont know if there is a proven "diet" for urine issues. I would steer clear from any vet perscribed diets, because they add much acid to the diet, which can cause calcium stones. I would feed her any high quality dry that has mostly meat. cats have a high protein intake, even when "sick". If possible, i would try to get lots of fresh water in her. sorry for your troubles. |:|