Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

EVO making my cats sick?

A BergA Berg MadisonMember Posts: 1
edited 17 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Hi all, I\'m new and was hoping to pick your brain. I\'ve done a search about the subject, but I still have some questions. Here\'s the situation: I have two cats, Remi and Mephistopheles, who have been on Science Diet Light all of their adult lives. I recently read up on cat nutrition (as I was reading about human nutrition) and discovered that it was very important to change their food. I went to our local cats-only store (Madkatz!) and bought 1 month\'s worth of Innova EVO. I had just enough Science Diet left to do one week of transition. During the transition, they seemed so healthy! I was amazed. Their coats got softer, Mephisto stopped wheezing so much, *gross part* their poops didn\'t smell as bad. I was excited. Now, they\'ve been eating exclusively the EVO dry kibble. Mephisto pukes up his food almost every other day. Most of it is undigested, so I\'m guessing that\'s because he\'s eating too quickly. Now there are four feeding times a day of 1/8 c. His puking remains, still mostly undigested. Remi\'s stool has gotten nearly unbearable. They\'re very soft, sometimes almost liquid. I feel so bad for the poor girl! They both have water at all times, and I\'ve noticed they\'ve started drinking more water after eating the EVO. I\'m wondering if any of you smarty smarts out there have some answers for us! Should we switch to a different grain-free brand or will this go away as their digestive tracts get more used to the EVO? Thanks!

Comments

• Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 16 March, 2010
    Sounds like Stella. Stella can not eat food like this. EVO, GO! all the high protein low carb foods that you want to feed your cat she can not have. Think maybe its to rich for her. She can not even eat Wellness. She gets diareah, vomits and she lost lots of weight as she then refused to eat as the food was hurting her tummy. So far the only kibble she can eat that is grain free is NOW! grain free. With this she can also eat some canned food. When we fed her GO! grain free she couldnt even eat any canned because everything upset her tummy at that point. Almost as soon as she started eating NOW she was all better. I am going to soon try Orijen adult as its kind of a middle ground. Its not as high in protein as EVO or GO but its more then NOW so I am hoping because it has less carbs then NOW.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 16 March, 2010
    MMMmmm we have been on EVo dry for a long time and never had a problem.. how long was the transition period? A good person to ask about food is Bumpurr or Harvey.. they are both very knowledgeable. http://www.catster.com/cats/868340 Thats Bumpurrs page, send him a message and he should be able to give you advice.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 16 March, 2010
    It could be because you switched to quickly, or it could be an ingredient in the food. Though because you are throwing it up right away and the kibble is still almost in its form, maybe they are eating too quickly. Try raising the dish, and also you can put a golf ball in the bowl to slow them down. Now I will say that the Science diet has inappropriate ingredients in it, and the Evo is higher in protein, so it does take some time for them to get used to it, which is normal. Cats are obligate carnivores, and the higher the protein the better. Have you read the site called catinfo.org A wet diet is better if you can do that. Let us know how it goes.
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 17 March, 2010
    Wellness CORE might work, I hear it's not as rich and still grain-free. I will be switching to this when I am a little older :D
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 17 March, 2010
    We use Evo dry and Weruva Wet -- a little of dry in the AM and a can of wet in the PM