Cats favorite food?

Melinda McCallMelinda McCall Member Posts: 310
edited 1 April, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everyone :) Looking to see what your cats seem to like best when it comes to dry food. I'm having a bit of trouble with my two cats.. one ( persephone) is not a picky eater at all and gobbles down anything, the other sniffs it and if she doesnt LOVE it will only eat a bite or two and walk away.. usually the other cat tries to get the food ( we've tried seperate meals) I feed them both innova, but have recently switched to wellness core ( high protein low carb is good for cat weight loss) and of course persephone LOVES it but Isis not so much and wont eat it quicker. Oddly, Isis seems to like to eat the dogs orijen ( I dont feed it to her , she sneaks bites) so I'm thinking of switching to Orijen ( will have to get it shipped, or when I visit family.. we dont have it anywhere local - closest is about 60 miles away) . What i'm curious to know is out of what I have locally ( natures variety instinct, innova evo/ Innova, wellness core and blue buffalo wilderness which one picky cats tend to like more? Every bag is about $20 and I cant seem to find any samples, so I'd hate to get a back and her not like it.. I will certainly try to buy Orijen when I'm down visiting family.. but in the meantime..

Comments

• Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 17 March, 2010
    Well as far as dry food goes, we are fans of Orijen (new discovery and it\'s oh-so-good :) ), Taste of the Wild, and Halo (not as good, I know). We used to do Wellness but Isabelle kept throwing up on it, and she wouldn\'t eat Wellness Core. It\'s too bad you can\'t find sample bags - can you ask your store if they\'ll order you one (not sure if they can do that)? :-k
  • Tain RoseTain Rose Member Posts: 978
    edited 17 March, 2010
    My kitties just started on California Naturals, and they love it! It's not the best, but they were on meow mix and having to convince parents is hard. But the place I went had Tons of samples! Kiwi inhaled a Felidae sample pack and puke it up 2 minutes later. :)) After she sees that paying $5 extra isn't that bad, I'm going to see if I can get them on TOTW.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 17 March, 2010
    My cats new fav is Orijen! But they seemed to really like and do well on NOW! grain free.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 17 March, 2010
    My favorite is either Wellness Core or Blue Buffalo Wilderness. My siblings all have favorite in canned food...they prefer canned over dry. Most places will take the food back for a refund if the cat won't eat it.
  • andrea cannonandrea cannon Oxford,MississippiMember Posts: 29
    edited 18 March, 2010
    i LOVE friskies feline favorites with the little carnation milk pieces in it! i also like fancy feast when Ginji is eating it. mommy is trying to get us on something healthy but affordable.
  • Melinda McCallMelinda McCall Member Posts: 310
    edited 19 March, 2010
    thanks for the responses :)
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 20 March, 2010
    We switched the kitties to Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and they love it, even Miss Finicky Pants, Maizy ate it right away. I have noticed that their fur looks so much glossier, and they just look even healthier. She has played more & had more energy (hmm is that a good thing?mol) than they ever did on Halo. They also seem to eat less of it. I also give them a bit of Pro Plan chicken wet at night. I know stores like Petco will take a bag back if you save the reciept and don't use a huge amount of it.
  • Alisha MaccouxAlisha Maccoux Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 April, 2010
    I agree with Maizy! If Wellness core doesn't work, try Blue Buffalo. Enigma loved that stuff so much that when we were on a trip with him, he found a way to unzip my purse so that he could tear into the bag 3 times! I also found with previous cats who had issues with vomiting a lot that Natural Balance helped, especially the limited diet brands. I had a overweight female cat that couldn't eat wellness because it was too rich and threw it up right away, so I put her on Natural Balance and she not only stopped throwing up, but she lost weight. It really depends on your cat |^|
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 1 April, 2010
    I think that if you email the companies they'd send you a sample. When I was still feeding commercial food mine all loved Blue Wilderness dry. Nature's Variety Instinct dry wasn't a huge hit.