Asking for a friend: Decent and affordable dry food?

Kaila HobKaila Hob Virginia BeachMember Posts: 443
edited 20 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I have a friend who has a lot of cats. She\'s not even much of a cat lover, though. They\'re just strays that hang around, and eventually become inside cats. So while she wants the best for them, she\'s not really willing to spend a lot of money on them. I won\'t complain, though. They\'re all better off than they were before. Their current food is Meow Mix, dry. It\'s pretty gross. I suggested Taste of the Wild, but it\'s \"too expensive\". Is there any decent dry food that isn\'t so-called expensive? Whiskas Purrfectly is the best I can find, but I wouldn\'t feed it to my own cat. Chicken, chicken by-product meal, ground whole corn, ground whole wheat, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of Vitamin E), natural flavors, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, added color, FD&C colors (yellow #5, yellow #6, red #40, blue #2), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate [source of B1], riboflavin supplement [source of B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [source of B6], biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex [source of vitamin K activity], folic acid, vitamin D supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate)

Comments

• Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 19 March, 2010
    I think Kirkland Signature (Costco) is a pretty decent and affordable. It's about $15 for 25#. I hear it's formula is similar to Diamond's so maybe diamond if there isn't a costco around.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 20 March, 2010
    This is kind of a question within a suggestion. I have not looked at the package, but how is Cat Chow? I know Purina has been around forever, and once upon a time, we fed our pups dog chow. I just wonder what their cat food is like - maybe it would work.