A little too thin . . .

Mandii EmMandii Em Member Posts: 41
edited 30 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
My cat is a little too thin! She's a wonderful Persian, and she goes to the vet every few months or so. My vet has mentioned that she's on the very small size, for her breed and her body type. He has said that she needs to gain weight. However, he has yet to offer any suggestions. Do you have any ideas? Complicating the issue is that she has IBS. I know, right?!? She eats Science Diet, Sensitive Stomach. And, she seems to have a second sense about whether something will make her sick or not. She won't eat chicken, tuna, or fish. She turns up her nose at wet food. When she is tempted by treats, she usually has diarrhea later. She seems okay with greenies. Any ideas? The solution needs to be easy on the stomach, but high calorie. It would be great if it would work with her regular food, as she seems to like it already!

Comments

• Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 27 March, 2010
    I would recommend trying something grain free such as Blue Wilderness, Innova EVO, Wellness Core,Solid Gold Indigo Moon as they are high calorie and most oftentimes when you have a sensitive stomach you are allergic to something in the food you are eating, and since Science Diet is very GRAIN heavy which a lot of cats can be allergic to CORN, I would suggest trying something else. I am a very 'slender' cat and mom was feeding Kirkland Signature, she switched me to Wellness Core and I have to eat less of it, but I am bulking out to a 'normal/healthier' weight for me. I eat a little less than 1/2 a cup of food a day and weigh about 6#
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 27 March, 2010
    I would strongly suggest you read this site: Feline Health Problems and Their Ties to diet
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 28 March, 2010
    Have you tried California Natural? It's supposed to be good for cats with sensitive stomachs and has very few ingredients. They make a dry and wet. http://www.naturapet.com/brands/california-natural.asp
  • Mandii EmMandii Em Member Posts: 41
    edited 30 March, 2010
    I read the entire website articles about cat nutrition and various cat illnesses related to nutrition. I also read and looked up the California Natural Diet and then read up some more on tips I could use to switch her over. I think that we'll try that! It seems like the canned food might be better, but that there are a lot of options. I will try something new next time I have to buy food so that I can't transition her slowly. Thank you for your help! I'll keep you posted.