feeding cheap foods?

Tina DaviesTina Davies Member Posts: 5
edited 27 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
this is actually about my neighbor's cats (naud is one of them). she has had these cats since they were kittens and they are now about 18-19 years old. i don't know a ton about cats, but i've heard that they should have a high quality diet and that milk for adult cats is bad. however, these cats have been eating cat chow and drinking milk since they were kittens. their health is starting to fail, but they are also old. how bad is it really that the cats are eating like this?

Comments

• Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 25 March, 2010
    Every cat/dog is different just like every human being is different. I have heard of dogs living 23 years eating nothing but Dog Chow....however that being said, they will have better health, and quality of life if they eat a better food. That food is full of dyes, preservatives, grains/fillers and doesn't have enough meat in it for optimal health. My dad has a 19 year old cat that has kidney failure that is absolutely thriving on Fancy Feast and Friskies...however you can tell he's not getting the 'best' nutrition in how scruffy and unkempt his coat looks all the time. The majority of cats are Lactose Intolerant but some cats can handle milk just fine with no issues, again every cat is different.
  • Tina DaviesTina Davies Member Posts: 5
    edited 25 March, 2010
    i guess that where i am we must have superpets. these cats are both 18-19 years old and eating cat chow & drinking milk every day. my childhood dog was an outside farm dog, lab/golden cross that lived to be 16 eating ol'roy every day. my dog that passed a couple years ago ate kibbles & bits for 8 years living with us (who knows what before but he was severely abused so probably not a good food) and the vet thinks he was about 20 years old & was completely healthy until 3 days before he died. it seems like everyone around here has pets that either live only a couple years, or live to be really old. there doesn't seem to be an in-between for our region (or at least the pets i know about).
  • Jessica BlackJessica Black Member Posts: 460
    edited 26 March, 2010
    I like to think of it like how we humans eat. Not everyone eats healthy. Heck, I know people that don't eat veggies or fruits at all, the most important part of our diet!!! Now, for cats, meat is the most important part and all of these cheap foods have mostly corn and grains and hardly any meat. It's pretty much the same thing. Genetics also play a part. I have a friend that is a health nut and yet she gets sick several times a year. Just like some overweight people with a really bad sweet tooth somehow manage to not get diabetes. Or a smoker who lives to be 100 and never gets lung cancer. But with all of the risks, it's just not worth chancing it. A cat is most happy and active and healthy eating a high protein, very low carb diet. And when it comes to pet food, you get what you pay for.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 27 March, 2010
    Bam Bam very well put! Mommy saw a lesson on feeding 'cheap' foods today....her friends pekingese (dog) had to have emergency surgery to remove Bladder Stones...I've heard this is a common problem with dogs eating Beneful. She will now be eating a MUCH better diet, the owner is anxious to see if the better diet helps prevent future bladder issues (which I know it will).