Drinking fountains

Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
edited 6 May, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Do you guys that have the water fountain things for your cats feel that they really like them and seem to drink even more out of them. All my cats seem to drink really well. But I saw a fountain for a pretty good price and thought that it might be a nice thing to get for them and if it makes them drink even more well hey a major bonus then!

Comments

• Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 29 March, 2010
    I bought the Drinkwell Platinum a while back when I was still feeding dry food. When I made the switch to canned food only, I noticed the cats were not drinking from it anymore~ so I put it away. Mine are not the types to \"play\" in water, so it was not worth keeping it running. I think every cat is different though~ so it\'s hard to know how much your cat will enjoy it unless you try one :D
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 29 March, 2010
    We have 2 of the fountains one upstairs and one downstairs, 1 my sister gave us for christmas last year, the other one we got from a friend after her cat had to be put to sleep. My cats LOVE them. I think they drink more water as it keeps their water 'fresher' by recirculating it. DeeJay likes to drink it right where it comes out (so the fountain part)
  • KIM WAREHIMEKIM WAREHIME WESTMINSTERMember Posts: 70
    edited 30 March, 2010
    We have three running at all times and a fourth one to rotate out when cleaning. My cats LOVE their fountains. In fact if I tried to take them away I would have a revolt. they get worked up just when I turn them off to clean them. I do think they drink more water too. we also have stationary water bowls too. BTW there are 18 of us so we need lots of water bowls. Zeeke\'s Meowmy=;
  • DAVID DONLANDAVID DONLAN Member Posts: 28
    edited 2 April, 2010
    Hi, can you guys tell me which fountain I should demand from my human? Drinkwell Platinum http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2WB-RE-Platinum-Pet-Fountain/dp/B000L3XYZ4/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel or regular? http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-360-Pet-Fountain-Original/dp/B001NIZAH6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1270236167&sr=8-11 Hammacher Ceramic Fountain http://www.hammacher.com/Product/77737?promo=search Which is easiest to care for? My humans get real busy sometimes. :?
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 2 April, 2010
    I am interested in the opinions on this too! I love to drink from the bathroom sink when it is trickling, so Mom thinks I would like a fountain.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 2 April, 2010
    We have the Hammacher Schlemmer Ceramic Pet Fountain and we LOVE it =; Mom says it is much easier to clean than our old Petmate Fresh Flow Fountain...you can even put it in the dishwasher =;
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 3 April, 2010
    We agree with Luke. =; Mommy has bought quite a few of the Drinkwell fountains in the past and really likes the Hammacher.com ceramic fountain the best. We actually have 4 of them. This fountain is very nice looking, is easy to put together and take apart to clean (even the motor) and we put it in the dishwasher. Ceramic fountains get so much cleaner than the plastic ones. If anyone is interested, Mommy found a place to buy the filters for this fountain for a little cheaper: www.debnroo.com - Raindrop Fountain Filters. Exact same as the filters on Hammacher, a little cheaper in cost and a little less in shipping and faster shipping.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 4 April, 2010
    That Hammacher.com ceramic fountain sounds interesting. I have a Petmate \"Deluxe Fresh Flow\" and it stopped working...I found out that it happens often with them :( Wish I knew that before I bought it. But my African Gray tore a part off it and I put it away. Miss Puff here was going through a faze of not wanting to drink out of the \"dogs\" dish... mol at the time. Now she drinks out of the tub or toilet bowl. eewwwwww or the nasty water coming from the a/c drip tube. She had stopped drinking out of the fountain before it stopped working. So good luck and please keep us all informed.
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 5 April, 2010
    We keep it simple, we got a $12 "water jug" style waterer, you know, the kind where you place the jug or bottle upside down in a bowl/base and it releases water as it's consumed, or as it evaporates. We like it because it's dishwasher safe, doesn't have any moving parts, and very inexpensive.
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Drs. Foster and Sons have a web only sale for 3 weeks, and their fountains are on sale along with other kitty stuff. They have a ceramic one that is $10 off. Here is a link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/cat-supplies/pr/c/3261
  • KitnKatKitnKat ClevelandMember Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited 8 April, 2010
    We've had our Drinkwell fountain up and running for the last 7 years. The kitties love watching it and prefer drinking out of it instead of the standing bowls. Since we've had it running, Merlyn doesn't ask us (or demand, more like) to flow the water out of the tap for her as much. We also like the fact that you can order replacement parts for it. It's nice that you can get just the pump when it quits instead of replacing the entire unit. Get a fountain, you kitties will love you for it.
    edited 9 April, 2010
    That reminds me, the pumps are nothing more then a fish tank submersible pump. I suppose I could get one or contact Petmate about a replacement. Tks for reminding me... =D> Good idea Matty, but my dogs would tip that over in a min.
    edited 9 April, 2010
    Miss Puff - I have bought replacement pumps for small table top fountains at Menards for reasonable. That is another place to check,
    edited 10 April, 2010
    Thank You Maizy! Will check into that :)
  • Melissa SchmoldtMelissa Schmoldt Member Posts: 142
    edited 11 April, 2010
    I had a fountain a while ago and it was a success. They like to drink/play in the dog's big water bowl, lol.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Cool thanks for all the responses!:) I think I want to get one and give it a try now.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 12 April, 2010
    we have a petmate fountain we looooooovveeeee. the only drawback is mommy has to take it apart and clean with a toothbrush to get debris outta there or else it cloggs every week or so. otherwise, we love it.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 16 April, 2010
    Our Petmate got gunked up really quickly but I LOVE our Drinkwell Platinum. It works great and doesn't need to be cleaned nearly as often.
  • Holly RichardsonHolly Richardson St.JosephMember Posts: 149
    edited 19 April, 2010
    I loved our Petmate, but the plastic gave me feline acne, so mom bought us this one. I adore it and it is MUCH quieter! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21484
    edited 20 April, 2010
    THat was my other question, was how loud they are. Our water bowl is in the living room, right next to Mom & The Dad's room, and we wondered if they sound like Niagra Falls!
    edited 20 April, 2010
    Rhett the link does not work - wondered which one you got?
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 21 April, 2010
    We have a Petmate that was given to us from a friend who purchased the Drinkwell 360 - at first we were kind of skeptical to use it.. extra electrical appliance, cleaning it, filters etc - but after keeping it in the car for months mom dug it out. First I dont think we filled it properly and it buzzed for a bit then it went away.. We have been using it for a month now and let me tell ya.. WE LOVE IT, make sure you fill it according to the directions and that you have the correct amt of water. We do use bottled water in it, just to make sure its tasty. (we have hard water at home) and that could wreak havoc on the parts of the drinking fountain. So we love it and its quiet.. I say buy one NOW.. We even drink way lots more water than before.
  • Cassandra NoneCassandra None Member Posts: 406
    edited 22 April, 2010
    I use a PetMate and love it as well. It's not loud, it's not annoying and my cats use it on a frequent basis. Plus I love the filter idea. If you see my filters you would know why but that's another story. If it was loud (been there, done that) they would try to snarf water from the dogs' bowl.
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 22 April, 2010
    Are there any fountain ones that don't need replacement filters? My cat is short haired and we have soft water, so I don't need one since I already don't use one with just a bowl.. I really want a fountain tho because she only likes to drink from the tub! lol
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 22 April, 2010
    All four of my indoor cats are shorthaired, but hair still gets into the fountain. I have the original Drinkwell; this one has been in constant use since sometime in early 2001, because I bought it when Merlin was diagnosed with CRF. It's the only one in the house. It's quiet; in fact, I enjoy the sound of the softly running water! But Mordred still insists on having the bathroom faucets turned on whenever I go into a bathroom. If you're looking for a "cheapy" without a filter, you could try a tabletop fountain - sold in the home-decorating sections of places like Target. You might find one that would suit you. Regarding the "buzzing" - that happens *only* when the water is first put in, until it gets into the entire system. The thing will - excuse me - fart if the water level falls too low. Add water, and the problem is solved!
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 April, 2010
    what does everyone think about the catIT fountain? http://www.hagen.com/usa/cats/addinfo/catit_fountain.html
  • Holly RichardsonHolly Richardson St.JosephMember Posts: 149
    edited 28 April, 2010
    Sorry I did not realize my link did not work. I have the Bridgeport Onyx Waterer. It is a good size. It is used by my feline sister Stella and I as well as two beagles.
  • Karen ParsonsKaren Parsons GriffithMember Posts: 821
    edited 28 April, 2010
    Maus, we had that but the AC adapter got REALLY hot and made Mommy nervous....
    edited 28 April, 2010
    Rhett, your link works....just when you copy and paste links, there's a space sometimes that shows up on the search bar and you just need to remove the space, and it works...
    edited 28 April, 2010
    Anyway, we like the stainless 360....but haven't seen it in person...anyone have that one? We like Rhett's choice too, how often do you refill it?