Any idea what kind of kitten our little Katie is??

Elizabeth TurnerElizabeth Turner OakvilleMember Posts: 5
edited 31 March, 2010 in Kitten Corner
I'm sure she is just a DLH but with her dilute calico coloring and blue eyes, I wonder what she may be mixed with... Any ideas??? I've posted pictures if you click her icon :) Thanks for any ideas :)

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 March, 2010
    We don\'t have an answer, but just wanted to say Katie is a beautiful kitten. :D Kitty kisses to Katie for finding her forever home. :c9 Kitty hugs to you for adopting her. |:|
  • Julie SongJulie Song Member Posts: 140
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Awwww! so cute. It's hard to tell, Katie being so small. Since she is only one month, her eyes may change color in the next few weeks. Kittens are born with blue eyes and the true color comes later. She probably is a domestic long hair as you said. I know Ragamuffins kind of look like that, but they grow to be very large cats 12-16 lbs I think. I'm not too familiar with long haired breeds, and definately don't know what they should look like as kittens. But she is so cute! Good luck!
  • Elizabeth TurnerElizabeth Turner OakvilleMember Posts: 5
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Thanks :) She is actually two months, her dob was Feb 1, not sure why it says 1 month in her profile, no matter what she is, we love her and she is already a spoiled and opinionated little one :)
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Katie, if you have any specific heritage, it won't probably fully show until you're past the kitten stage. Mom says she 2 for 2 with having non-descript kitties revealing some of their heritage as adults. I have some meezer in me, but this is something that has become a lot easier to tell after I turned 1 (mommy got me at 6 months), as my body took its current shape (I'm a long and lean kitty with a big behind :r), and I have undisputedly remained a big chatter (in mom's experience, oriental breeds never outgrow their kittenish chattiness). Gracie, the gray brat who lives with me, is probably part Maine Coon. When she was a fuzz ball weighing less than 2 lbs (and not much older than you, she came to live with us at 9 weeks) her coat just looked poofy and scraggly, but at around six months she started growing the MC's trademark ear muffs (i.e., she has a ton of fuzz peeking out of her ears), and her kitten chattiness was replaced with a tendency to trill and chirp (another MC trait). So tell your mommy she might have to wait out a few months. Also, there's nothing wrong with being a DLH. We're a DSH and a DMH respectively, but mom says we are the most handsome cats ever, and that's all that counts. ;)
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 30 March, 2010
    Oooh, I love dilute calicos! To me, it looks like her eyes aren't blue, but that transition color that comes after baby blue and before the true color kicks in--sort of a muddy green. It seems to me that kittens don't get their true eye color until two months or more, and sometimes the eye color changes afterwards. Chibi originally developed striking amber eyes, in contrast to Leila's gold/green ones, but then after six months or so, her eyes became the same color as Leila's. Currier, on the other hand, really does have deep amber eyes. In the Maine Coon world, whatever the shade of gold/green gold/amber the eyes are, it's called "gold." Anyway, regarding your little cutie--white cats (including moggies, Turkish Angoras, Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest Cats, etc.) can have blue eyes, but I've never seen a bi- or tricolor cat with blue eyes. Siamese and Ragdolls are characterized by blue eyes, as you know. Katie looks pretty fluffy to me--she may grow up to be have longish fur. Right now, my four month old Maine Coons are fluffballs, but it takes up to two years for them to become truly shaggy (although it depends on the individual cat). No, Katie isn't a Maine Coon. Your question intrigues me. Since Katie has so much white in her coat, and the white factor is genetically linked with blue eyes, maybe it's possible. I'll check it out on the Internet and ask some breeder friends for their opinion.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 30 March, 2010
    One reason I enjoy answering questions on Catster is that it gives me the opportunity to look things up, and I learn things I never knew before. Yes, apparently it's possible for a cat of any color to have blue eyes, but rare. However, a cat like Katie who is mostly white has a greater chance of having blue eyes than would a tabby (I've never seen a blue-eyed tabby, but apparently they exist). Cat color genetics is a very complex topic (not the least because fur and eye color are often linked). Here's a site that has some examples of blue-eyed cats who are not pure white: http://www.messybeast.com/whitecat.htm I don't know enough about cat color genetics to be able to tell you how this happens, but it does. Whether it points to some distant Siamese ancestry or that of another blue-eyed breed, or is just a genetic rarity, I don't know enough to say. However, upon looking at Katies photos again, to me it still seems that her eye color is in the process of transition. Let us know what eye color she ends up with at age 6 months or so!
  • Elizabeth TurnerElizabeth Turner OakvilleMember Posts: 5
    edited 30 March, 2010
    Thanks so much for all of the information!!!! The combinations really are facsinating, whatever she is, she is greatly loved :) I'm going to look at the websites and will update when/if her eyes change... Thanks again for all the input!!
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 30 March, 2010
    easy way to tell if true blue eyed cats eyes reflect red in flash pictures blue eyes is a lack of pigment. siamese and other cats hold this gene. but also, non-white/siamses can have blue eyes. but most likely the have parents who hold copies of the blue eyes genes. there is also sub-genes that control things like how, when and were, and how much a gene is expressed. If a non-siamses or blue eye decendent has them, they have genes that mutated, but its most likly the same gene and is very very rare.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 30 March, 2010
    If her eyes remain blue, my bet one parent was mostly white or bicolor, with blue eyes (or was carrying the gene) and one was a dilute tabby of some sort. or any mix of that. Somewhere in her family she has siamses mostlikly, but probibly more likely a great grandparent. if they dont, she may not be. but really, it could be anything.
  • Sarah MelcherSarah Melcher Member Posts: 13,217
    edited 31 March, 2010
    Hi Katie sure is adorable. A couple of things that caught my attention are that she already has great ear-floof (the long hair coming out of her ears) and very long whiskers. Those can be signs of a basic long-haired kitty but are tell-tale signs of Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest kitties. I couldn't tell if she has toe floof (shocks of hair between her toes, esp. the hind feet) but that will be interesting to watch, if it grows. If she grows toe-floof, I hope you don't have hardwood floors MOL!! As other furs indicated, your 6-month mark will tell you a lot. Pmail me when she turns 6 months please =;=;=;