Intruder?

Darunia GoronDarunia Goron Member Posts: 295
edited 13 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
hi guys i was wondering do cats even ferals mark a territory in yards that has a dog scent all over it Its getting to be quite a bother cuz my dog is chasing them out of the yard into the street and yet they are leaving presents and spraying around my yard Also they are using my veggie/fruit garden as a neighborhood toilet How do i deter them away from my yard? I was thinking about sending zippy out to scare them off but shes too small and plus our street is a little hectic at times I like cats and all but im not enjoying their perfume in my yard and the snacks they are leaving for my dog

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 3 April, 2010
    First, putting Zippy out to scare them is a really bad idea--cats don't work that way. Zippy would probably end up in a panic if she isn't used to going out, and could easily end up missing or dead, while your unwanted guests would still be hanging around. I've got the same problem, and have unfortunately come to the conclusion that it's going to be on me to trap them and go have them neutered which will at least make the spray less stinky; I have no idea how to actually keep them out of the yard unless you left the dog out all the time, which would just make other problems. If anyone does have ideas, I'd love to hear them. I have purchased a trap already, but had rather not catch the cats and turn them back loose in the neighborhood, honestly. And although they are the minority, there are a couple of pet cats around here that dig in my plants and pee on my house that need to go too; one is so bold that he pees right on my front step, which drives my cats nuts if I track it.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 3 April, 2010
    I wish I knew the trick to getting cats to stay out of the flower beds! There is at least one cat in the neighborhood who thinks my flower bed is the cat\'s meow when it comes to a litter box. So when I\'m out there gardening I find all his \"presents\" he left along the foundation of the house. YUCK! :-# I mean, I know they have to go somewhere and they\'re not trying to be annoying, but it\'s just gross, right? I\'m with BooBoo - anybody have tricks for getting cats to leave yards alone without hurting them? Do they leave beds alone if you have the bark chips on top? Right now mine is just dirt and of course, just fabulous for digging. :-O
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 3 April, 2010
    Well, we don't live in a house, but mom has heard in the past that some plants are more inviting to wildlife than others. It might be the same for feral kitties. What she has heard is that some cats, domestic or otherwise, really dislike the scent of lavender, so if your climate permits it, you might want to look into growing some in your garden (bonus: you can dry some of the flowers and put it in sachets that can go in drawers, or even use the dried flowers to make lavender cookies ;)).
  • Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
    edited 3 April, 2010
    We are interested in answers too!! There is at least one neighbor cat (belongs to the English teacher across the street) who comes into MY yard and TAUNTS me!! He is even so bold as to launch himself at the screen while I am sitting in the window.:-O He is SOOOO aggravating! Plus, he does spray all over the front door and the back deck. In the summer it is really hot there and mom and dad say is STINKS something awful! :(( Dad has threatened to run over him with the car - but I don\'t think he would really do that! However, mom and dad did suggest to the teacher that he get his cat neutered. They even offered to pay for it. Unfortunately, the neutering didn\'t help keep him out of MY yard! :? Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 4 April, 2010
    Wow.. I put that question in Google and found this site; http://www.squidoo.com/catrepellent when watching Rescue Ink, I saw the water sprinklers used. I have also seen them used to keep deer out of a yard. And we all know how much cats dislike water.. mol Please keep us all informed as to what you decide to do.
  • jo brannenjo brannen on my couchMember Posts: 34
    edited 4 April, 2010
    my grandparents used to put mothballs in the yard to keep the dogs away...mayb crumbling a couple around the border of yard and or garden would help....u never kno and i dont think they hurt the environment either...they are made from camphor i think.....just put around the outside of garden and yard...just dont leave them whole the cats will be tempted to play with them and itll get in their mouths
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 5 April, 2010
    noooooo, please dont put mothballs in the yard. they could be life-threating for an animal who eats them.
  • Darunia GoronDarunia Goron Member Posts: 295
    edited 6 April, 2010
    bump* Just really curious
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Cayanee pepper spray. I have no experience with it, so don't know if it really works or not. Was talking to one of my co-workers the other day, telling her I had to replace the screens. My cats see the other cats outside. She told me to use cayanee pepper spray on the screens, said she uses it to keep the cats out of her garden. I have also read that vinegar works, here is a link on it. http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/60/eight-smart-uses-for-vinegar.html Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 8 April, 2010
    I have heard about usung the pepper spray too. Also supposed to work on garden plants for squirrels. There is also a granule that you can sprinkle on the ground to keep cats/bunnies/deer away. I have NOT looked into it yet to see if it is harmful, but I am as we have the same problem with a few cats that like to visit with Tigger and leave their "calling card" I saw a spray at Petco I thought of getting to try also.
    edited 9 April, 2010
    I agree about NOT using the mothballs! Very bad idea! Tigger, what spray are you referring too? I would like to check it out, I can ask at the store , next time I am doing my demo for Nutro. Petco does sell a product called Phooey, and I know it works very well. It may be a type of Cayenne pepper spray or something. It does not have a bad smell but if you get it on your hands and then in your mouth, you will need a new tongue!!!! mol It stopped my dog Zak, from eating a sofa when he was a pup. http://www.petco.com/product/6433/Fooey-Ultr-Bitter-Training-Aid.aspx Apparently some animals actually like the stuff! I tell people to put rubber gloves or plastic bags on there hands and shut there mouths. mol.. it is that bad but not harmful at all. I was reading what was in there and no peppers. There is a link from Petco above.
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 9 April, 2010
    First of all, any cat owner in their right mind would not let their babies step 1 paw out the door. Do you know whether those cats have homes? One thing you can try is putting up an electric fence. Another thing is, cats hate water, so you could get a sprinkler system that goes off everytime they come in your yard. I think for sure by then they'll be gone. If worst comes to worst, get cat traps.
    edited 10 April, 2010
    If a cat touches an electric fence, it could cause a lot of damage! I have one in my backyard to keep Zak in. A cat got hurt on it :( it was not mine and Zak almost killed it....::o
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Yeah, honestly, if it's a choice about spending $$ on an electric fence vs. motion activated sprinklers, I'd go for the latter. Think about it: it also saves you from having to water your garden, with those cats doing your watering for you. Win-win! :))!
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Yuck Boris, would you enjoy planting flowers and a neighborhood kid came and peed in it? Or even worse a skunk?
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 13 April, 2010
    I think putting an electric fence up, particularly in a residential area, will just cause more problems. I imagine people want to deter the cats, not barbeque them. As Gracie said, lavender can be an effective deterrent. Sprinkling orange peels in the garden can work, as can planting 'citrusy' plants such as lemon thyme. Is it possible for you to put the small gardening stones in the areas they are using as a litter tray? You can also buy motion triggered cans of compressed air (I think they are called Sssssscat Cat). If you've got a water pistol, they are pretty effective. Some cats only need to be squirted a couple of times to deter them, so it would be cheaper than a sprinkler system. Cayenne pepper is supposed to be effective, but it can be dangerous when animals walk in it and get it in their eyes. It might end up hurting your dog and any native animals in the area. Mothballs can be toxic.
    edited 13 April, 2010
    :))!:))!:))! Nina, you misunderstand: I meant that if you install motion detecting sprinklers, once the cats come onto your yard the sprinklers would automatically go off, which both waters the lawn AND scares said cats off. No more having to water the garden with a hose, and no more peeing cats. Win-win. ;)