Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

very upset

Cindy BlossCindy Bloss Member Posts: 13
edited 11 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I\'m not even sure where to start. Buster is very upset. Everything scares him and he is now acting out because of it. When we got a second cat four years ago he was mad for about a year and would cry all the time. He eventually got over it and they are fine together. Well then we added Brimley our Eskie puppy to the mix about six months ago. Buster is scared and angry all the time. He will go and poop in my sons room even if the litter is clean. Buster will wait until my son forgets his door open and run right in and poop in the corner. He had always had issues with angry pooping. (if he doesn\'t like the litter, a noise that scares him, you don\'t put out the milk at night) that kind of stuff. I don\'t know what to do. we are frustrated with him but I don\'t want to give him up. Any ideas on what to do. P.S. Brimley doesn\'t chase him just our other cat Louie. Louie starts it most often.

Comments

• Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 5 April, 2010
    It sounds like Buster is stressed. Does he have a quiet area to retreat to, maybe with a cat tree? I don\'t think he is doing this out of anger to get back at you~ but he is telling you something. Here are a couple of websites that may help you: Cornell Site Catinfo.org
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 5 April, 2010
    I agree with Tasha. Eskimos are very energetic breeds, and your kitty can tell. It's immaterial that Brimley doesn't give chase. Given Buster's behavior with your other cat (didn't want to have anything to do with him until he was a year older), I'm guessing it's the dog's level of energy that puts him off the most. I think that just watching Brimley play scares Buster. He needs an area of the house he can call his own that he can retreat to for "safety". I think that's what the pooping is about. If your son's room stays closed most of the time, Buster might see it as a safer area, and he is marking it with his poo to make it official, so to speak. It's almost like a "keep out" sign in the animal world. Do you have a baby gate? Something tall enough so that the dog can't jump it, yet with wide enough slats so the cats can go through it? I would use that in combination with a tall and comfortable surface (a sturdy cat tree) to make him a new "safe" room, one from which Buster can spy on the dog, but he can be assured that the dog won't bother him, and one to which he can retreat to when he feels unsafe. That should go far in the way of pacifying him.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 5 April, 2010
    cats get very upset at changes of energy. after all, dogs are a bigger then them and could kill them if they wanted. sounds like poor kitty is stressed and afraid. i would set aside a room for him to be put away for some time of the day. so he may escape the puppy.
  • Cindy BlossCindy Bloss Member Posts: 13
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Buster had the upstairs just for the cats. The only time Brimley is allowed up there is when he is in his crate. So he would hide in the linen closet or my closet or under the bed. As he continued to do his pooping we shut him out of the kids bedrooms. My husband is feed up and wants him gone but I can't. I gave him a home and I am not going to kick him out. We have had Brimley since Sept. and Buster still isn't dealing with him. He also will do it if we don't leave him his milk every day. Tiny amount in a bowl so that he doesn't throw up. He used to throw up all the time. I put him in the basement for the moment because that was the only solution but I am not happy and neither is Buster
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Best of luck to you, when Matty joined the family several years ago, Selby did passive-aggressive things like that, then my girlfriend at the time and myself combined households, and our combined 4 cats were faced with living with each other, it was tough. For us, all it took was time for them to all cool off, probably a few months, maybe we were just lucky? I mean, there were still confrontations, but overall, they all mellowed out eventually. Best of luck Buster and family :)
  • Karin TomasovichKarin Tomasovich PhoenixvilleMember Posts: 101
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Mommy SWEARS by the Feliway for cats (and get the Feliway for dogs TOO!) she has found two cats in about two months time and fostered and lost two of her own and the Diffuser/Spray worked like a charm! What she does is use the diffuser in the main room and uses the spray in other areas - Go to comfortzone.com sign up and they will send you coupons (stuff can be expensive!) BUT IT WORKS Monkey (the one who REALLY needs it!)
    edited 5 April, 2010
    How long do you need to use the diffuser?
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April, 2010
    I use a baby gate for my two cats. I got the idea from my daughter. Alex is too big to go under or jump over. Natasha can go under without a problem. Her food, litter, and water are on the other side. She loves her privacy. Alex is slowly learning over the last year to go her some space. I have about four inches from the group so Natasha can crawl under. It works well. My daughter gave her cat more room because her dog is so large. Good luck......never a boring day....around pets....Bamcat
    edited 5 April, 2010
    we tried baby gates and that was working for awhile but he still is doing his pooping in the boys bedroom
    edited 6 April, 2010
    Actually, while I don't doubt it occurred to you to take him to the vet, I'm just going to come out and ask, for throughness' sake: have you gotten a vet's advice on this problem? It might be that he has intestinal issues that flare up under stress, or it may be that he might need something stronger than feliway to help calm him. Either way, consulting a vet can be very useful.
    edited 6 April, 2010
    I did bring him to the vet. Both vet's said it was anger pooping.. That suggestion was to keep them separated as much as possible. Buster has always had odd behavior so they just pass it off as that.
  • Debi DuffDebi Duff PeterboroughMember Posts: 3,029
    edited 6 April, 2010
    I agree with the others, that Buster is reacting to stress. I never got used to the dog that lives here and so mom-lady has a gate up downstairs fur when I wanna bask in the sun room and; there's a door that can be closed to the upstairs. I have food, water, litter an something soft to lie on upstairs. If I need letting out, in the sunshine, I'm often let out a door, away from Mollie but it somewhat helps that Mollie is learning to leave me when momma tells her. I'm very timid...always have been. I'm often afuraid. It's just how I am. My brother, the troll, reacts to stress in a different way than me. He get's ornery and likes to attack. An he's prone to UTI's. We get a natural calming solution that is put into our water. And anytime someone is passing by me...mainly mom-lady...she stops and gives me some affection; letting me know everything is ok. It feels sooooo good. Anything you can do to help Buster feel more safe and secure is a help. Oh...not to say this about your husband. It just brought back an old memory. Just over 10 years ago, mom-ladies then-husband wanted her to leave me behind when they moved back to Ontario. She'd have none of it. Guess which one of us is not around anymore ;)
    edited 6 April, 2010
    I'd get a second opinion if I were you. I don't mean to imply it's not stress related, it totally is, but your vet(s) attitude that "oh, it's stress pooping" without running any tests to make sure it's not something else would bother me. Also, if this has been an ongoing problem for years, it boggles the mind that no one vet has suggested putting your kitty on prozac for a while to see if it helps. My cousin cat Callie did stress peeing upon having to live with an aggressive dog for a whole year (the dog no longer lives with Callie now, because the dog's mom now has her own home), and she was put on prozac for a few months. It didn't eliminate all the peeing, but it lessened it a lot. She still will pee when she's really upset at her mom, but she does calm down a lot faster than she used to, even though she's no longer on prozac. So the few months she was on prozac did help somewhat.
    edited 6 April, 2010
    I understand my hubby's frustration with him. I don't like that he sneaks in the boys bedroom and poops either. I called the vet again today and they also suggested the plug in. So off I go to buy on.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 6 April, 2010
    One more thing--if he always poops in the corner of the boys bedroom, try putting a litter box there, especially if it's always the same spot. When we were getting the new floor, Ringo kept peeing right next to the front door (it doesn't help that there's a feral kitty that Ps on the front porch, either.) A box right there solved the problem, and Ringo eventually has gone back to the other box. At least Buster isn't going right where people enter the house... either way, if you only have one litter box, it's no good for a fussy kitty. With me being old, and Ringo weird, we have, count 'em, four litter boxes, in a 1000 sq ft house with only one level. One in each bedroom, and one hidden behind a table in the living room (need I say they get scooped 2x a day!) You might not have to go to that extreme, but I think adding a box or moving one if you already have more than one would help.
  • Allison Tuthill GaulAllison Tuthill Gaul Virginia Beach, VAMember Posts: 168
    edited 6 April, 2010
    Mommy got a new piece of furniture and thus moved some stuff around in the den. She also put one of the boxes in the bedroom. I got mad and started peeing around where the furniture got moved and in the bedroom. She got me checked out. She got felliway. She moved the box back. She used Nature's Miracle on the spots. she covered areas I like peeing in with tin foil. Nothing worked. She got me Prozac yesterday. A two month supply was $4 at the Kroger pharmacy. If you don't have Kroger, Walmart also has the cheap prescription prices. It was either that or rehome, b/c I am working hard at destroying the house. Mommy and Daddy don't want me to go, b/c I'm the little boy. And Kali would be devastated to lose her boyfriend.
    edited 7 April, 2010
    well my mommy found me a new spot in the house that I feel safe. With a new fun plug in thing that I can rub on. I also have a gate and a tv to hide behind when the dog comes a barking. Mom brought in all my toys and my tent so I hope I feel safe enough not to go poop under a desk in the den. Only time will tell. Mom and dad don't like the baby gate at the door because Louie(my brother) keeps knocking it over onto the new floor. They just had put in last week... Oh man is he in trouble if it gets scratched. If this doesn't work mom said they are going to put me on these pills to make me happy. I don't like pills so I'm going to try really hard not to do my pooping when I'm stressed.
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 7 April, 2010
    That\'s wonderful, Buster!!! We\'ll keep purring for you and your family! ~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~~a~
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 7 April, 2010
    We have our paws crossed that this helps Buster :^: Please keep us posted ;)
  • Valerie McMullenValerie McMullen PhoenixMember Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Sounds like you've received a lot of great advice from everyfur. I hope Buster's new area works out. If you have a hardwood floor that you recently put in, consider putting a small area rug with a rubber backing by the doorway so if the gate falls it won't scratch the new floor. Does the den have a window to the outside? If so maybe a birdfeeder outside so Buster can watch the birds. I have some by windows at my house and it becomes a great distraction. Also, the idea about putting a litter box in the corner where he pees is a good idea. Make sure your dog gets plenty of outdoor exercise and walks. When he comes inside he'll nap more and the house will be quite for some time even if it's just a bit. Hope everything works out. We have our paws crossed.
  • Karin TomasovichKarin Tomasovich PhoenixvilleMember Posts: 101
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Sorry mommy didnt get to write you back but she uses the diffuser all the time it plugs in and lasts for a month. She know when it gets low cause I start picking on the other kitties a little more than usual but since I am 1/2 feral I will need it a while longer before she doesnt need it anymore Good Luck! Monkey=;
    edited 11 April, 2010
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I just walked up to my clean litter box then looked right at my mommy and went poop in the corner.... I guess I'm in big trouble... Mommy looks very upset.