Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My cat is scared of a family member!

Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
edited 9 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I have no idea why but suddenly my cat Blaze started to be scared of a family member. When I bring Blaze near him, Blaze acts afraid and struggles out of my arms to run away, and he won't go near him on his own. I don't know what to do! We can't figure out why he is afraid except possibly my family member may have stepped on Blaze by mistake or something like that (he has problems with his eyesight so doesn't always see the cats underfoot.) None of the other cats are scared.

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Perhaps the family member inadvertantly scared or as you said stepped on Blaze. I would not force the issue, let Blaze get comfortable with this person again. Sometimes it takes a little while if they are traumatized. Good luck
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Perhaps the family member inadvertantly scared or as you said stepped on Blaze. I would not force the issue, let Blaze get comfortable with this person again. Sometimes it takes a little while if they are traumatized. Good luck
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    edited 9 April, 2010
    Has this family member had any changes in his/her life recently? Like getting a new pet, romantic partner, job, diet, wardrobe? (I don't know anything about said member so I'm just listing ideas. No offense intended.) Cats tend to be quick to forgive about accidental tail stepping. So I think he could be a change in scent that makes cat scared. I think the best thing to do is to have the family member do nothing. Just act normally. Don't try to pet your cat or be friends or do anything. It will help your cat see he/she is not a threat and is "safe". (This is why cats go to people who are scared of or allergic to cats. They avoid cats so cats see them as a guest who won't try and grab them or touch them.) Then later have your family try to play with your cat with a fishing pole toy. Actual petting should happen on your cat's terms only, don't try to force the issue.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 9 April, 2010
    He doesn't try to pet Blaze or get him to come over or anything. He doesn't usually try to get the cats attention or pick them up or anything, he leaves them alone unless they come to him and ask to be petted such as when Blaze's sister Harlequin comes to sit on his lap (she likes to sleep there!) Nothing much has changed, but it's possible there is something about his appearance that Blaze just suddenly noticed and got scared of... A while ago Blaze started acting scared of a specific part of the room and I could not figure out why. I tried to take him there to figure out what it was that scared him, and he was looking at part of the rug and then running away. The only thing there was a dime on the rug. It was really weird! I picked up the dime and after a while he stopped acting scared of that area (I don't know if the dime was the cause, but it seems like it). Maybe this is the same type of thing.