Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My cats don\\\'t answer to their names

Member Posts: 7
edited 20 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
My cats are over a year now, and I have never been able to get them to respond to their names. My husband thinks that it\'s because I called them all the other cutesy names, so their confused. Is it to late to train them to respond to their names, and if not, what\'s the best way of training them?

Comments

• Eric BenoitEric Benoit Member Posts: 11
    edited 9 April, 2010
    I don't think it's too late. the best way to go about it would be to say their names whenever speaking to them. My cats answer to their real names as well as their nicknames so I'm not sure confusion is the issue, you just may not use their names enough yet. Don't forget, also, that cats are very individualistic and sometimes stubborn creatures, just because they don't answer to their names doesn't mean they don't know them...they may very well know their names and just not want to answer.
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 9 April, 2010
    Coop didn't respond to his name for about six months. I think with some cats it just takes time. And you really do have to keep repeating yourself. "Coopurr, this..." and "Coopurr, that..." But now he knows his name -- and all of his nick names! Goodluck! :) Coop's Mom
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 9 April, 2010
    it does take a while. Now when I call Tigger he will usually give a little mow and trot to me. Maizy has this cute questioning chirp she makes like saying "what?" However, they have both been known to completely ignore me too! I constantly used their names when I spoke to them, or at feeding. So don't give up!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Heh heh heh, Leila responds to EVERYONE'S name. I don't know whether that makes her stupid or smart. :))
  • Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
    edited 11 April, 2010
    I knew my name since I was REALLY little, but that's because I love my mommy so much all she really has to do is speak and I come running (er...limping) to her side. When she calls my name in a high-pitched and super sweet voice though I purr uncontrollably. I've noticed mommy's parent's cats respond to their names when called in such a way. Perhaps using a different tone?
  • Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
    edited 11 April, 2010
    I also would like to point out that even though cats can be "trained", we are most certainly not dogs and have a lot of self respect. Seeing as how we usually own our people (not the other way around!) we often don't like to feel like we are being told what to do. My feline "sister" Chloe will make an appearance when she is summoned. When it seems someone is demanding her presence she will actually attack them when she arrives. My mommy has scars, even though Chloe is her's too! All of the humans are quite terrified of her though and we all let her go about her business. She's about a fourth my size and is meaner than a pride of rabid lions. Although, I believe it is important for cats to know their names in case of emergencies. We've had a couple of tsunami warnings, and during evacuation Chloe and I were the only cats who came when mom called.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 12 April, 2010
    I agree, we all need an emergency evacuation plan, and your cats health papers should be put in a plastic bag, that seals, and kept with other important papers, that you know where they are, and can grab them in an emergency. Mine know their names, and come when called, but one way to get them all to come at once, is the squeaky sound, the carrier door makes, when you open it, as they are fed in their carriers. It was the kittens first show, they were prob 7 months old, and did not yet know their names. We were 5 hrs from home, and their first hotel. Got to the hotel, unloaded them, watched them, they explored, did not seem afraid, had only been there 30 min, when it happened............ The fire alarm went off, scared me, and scared the kittens, who were now running around the room, with terror on their little faces. OK, think I said to myself, gotta get them loaded and out of here, no way to even catch them, ah duh, what do they come running to. Opened the carrier door, it made that squeaky sound, they both ran in. Thank G their training, over road their fear. They also travel with collors with their name and vets # on them, just in case. If you can't teach them their names, at least come up with something, that they will come running to, just in case. Shake the food bag, can opener, treaties, foodies, some word or some sound, they will always come running to. Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMMember Posts: 2,957
    edited 12 April, 2010
    You might think about giving them some reason to come, for instance, if they do come have some sort of goodie that would be worth coming for. Another thing is to always call if you want to feed them or if you set up an interactive play session. --des
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 13 April, 2010
    idk how i got my cats to come when called. but an altertive to get them to come is to shake a treat bag or another sound they consider food and when they come say there name in a plesent tone and give them a treat. Tiny comes to : teenie burr burr!!! Angel comes to: new new! Sassy comes to: sis! lol so somehow they learned to associate those names with them. When i have to put the gang away, i ususally just shake a treat bag and toss a handfull into the bedroom and shut the door. They know by comming, they get snacks. the only time i give snacks is to come when called, or when i clip nails. this way they really want those snacks. i have to say, its worth it to both train them to come when called and to go into there cat crate. recently due to personal reasons i had to round up all my cats and put them in crates quickly. I got them all into there crates very quick with no fuss (well, some meows of protest lol)
  •  Member Posts: 7
    edited 19 April, 2010
    It\'s funny, but the only way I respond is when mommy shakes my can of treats. We come running from wherever we are. Mommy has some of the concerns with instances of emergency, not being able to find us to get out of the house. I am really not sure what my name is, and sometimes, I don\'t respond to anyone\'s voice, because I just want to nap...oh well.
  • Constance EdwardsConstance Edwards JacksonvilleMember Posts: 10
    edited 20 April, 2010
    I'm not so sure it's what you say but how you say it. Inflection in voice tone of voice etc.