Not covering up

Rachel TapyRachel Tapy IndianapolisMember Posts: 3
edited 27 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
One cat of multiple cat household has never learned to cover up her messes in the litter box. There are multiple boxes. She scratches, but is usually scratching in the air or the wall or something else...just not in the litter to cover things up. Any ideas?

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 27 April, 2010
    Unfortunately, you can't train a cat to cover it up! I've noticed that some kitties will only dig in the litter if it's extra clean, but others ( :r !!!! ) juat won't do it. Neither of us here do; of course MINE don't smell too bad...but when Ringo goes, Meowma can smell it all over the house and goes running to cover it up and spray air freshener--I think that's pretty funny.
  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    edited 27 April, 2010
    When Henry goes to the bathroom he never covers, in all the 14 years I\'ve had him. He\'ll scratch the sides and a little in the litter, but never cover. I\'ve tried several litters and it\'s never made a difference. And whew, are his poopies stinky! Funny thing is his brother Louie will go in after him and cover it up. The vet says it\'s just one of his quirks, and nothing is wrong, he just never quite got the hang of it as a baby, so he\'s never done it. He just does his business and leaves, like he\'s too lazy to spend the effort, when someone will take care of it and there\'s always another box. I just have to be diligent about cleaning the box when it happens, or get used to coming home and knowing who used the box recently. :))