Allergy Concern (Russian Blue)

elizabeth vidoselizabeth vidos Member Posts: 2
edited 8 June, 2010 in Choosing the Right Cat
i just moved in with my boyfriend who sadly has cat allergies :/ he's not so bad that he cant even be around a cat for a minute before breaking out and getting watery eyes but after a little while it starts getting to him. i was considering getting a russian blue cat but i was wondering if anybody had some real feedback or testimonial about living with allergies and a russian blue.

Comments

• Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 20 May, 2010
    I've had two Russian Blues. They're actually not hyper-allergenic, although I have had friends who are allergic to cats tell me that it wasn't quite as bad with my cats. But it's not a full-proof, allergen-free cat as some may think. Really, your best bet would be a hairless cat. That all being said, though...Russian Blues really are wonderful cats. So smart and so affectionate. They're easy to train...and they'll train you right back! :)) But in all...just wonderful kitties... Good luck! Purrs, Coop and Coop's Mom
  • elizabeth vidoselizabeth vidos Member Posts: 2
    edited 20 May, 2010
    i have a bad feeling you're suggesting that my boyfriend would prob be uncomfortable generally speaking huh? :(( i just wanted to know from anyone who has allergies just how tolerable or untolerable it was.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 20 May, 2010
    Hey Coop! :-h I don't think even hairless cats are non-allergenic because the allergen is in their saliva. BUT I have heard that people that are allergic to cats find their allergies go away after living with a cat for a bit. And he can always take Claritin or something while waiting for that to happen!
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 20 May, 2010
    Hi, guys!!! Good point, BK!!! I hadn\'t even thought about the saliva. But getting back...I hopoe I didn\'t discourage you! An allergy med might actually work. Like I said, the people I know who have allergies have said that my cats were easier on the allergies. So that just might work -- in conjuction with building up a tolerance. My grandmother was actually allergic to cats, but she loved them. And she always had one. And she was actually fine with the cat we had when I was growing up. (My mom and I lived with my grandmother.) She built up a tolerance. (That cat was a domestic long hair, too, I should say!) And it was actually to the point where she didn\'t even take allergy meds. And again...Russian Blues are really sweet cats. They\'re really shy with company, but they\'reextremely affectionate with their immediate family and with people they know. Both of mine have followed me around endlessly, offer lots of head-butts and kisses and they love to play. And they\'re super-smart. Felix played Fetch, and Coop just learned! Both of mine were actually shelter babies, so you can find them at the shelter. I got Felix from a friend who adopted him from a shelter. And Coop came from the shelter last year after Felix passed. And honestly, they\'ve been the most rewarding little boys ever. Good luck, and if you want to paw-mail me, please do! I love talking about Blues. Hugs & purrs, Coop & Coop\'s Mom
  • Ashley StokesbaryAshley Stokesbary Ames, IAMember Posts: 12
    edited 20 May, 2010
    My friend is allergic to dogs and cats and owns one of each. She does not take expensive meds, get shots, etc. She just takes over-the-counter medicine. From what she told me, it was horribly uncomfortable for a while at first, but she got more used to it the more she was around animals (she was around my cats and dog before she got her own, so she adjusted to them first). She still gets irritated skin if she is scratched, gets hair in her eyes, etc., but she can still be around her pets and love on them and 3/4 of the time forgets her allergy medication. I know it's not the same with everyone and I've not discovered any allergies of my own to know what it's like, but hopefully my friend's experience can encourage you!
  • Tanja EdenTanja Eden SacramentoMember Posts: 137
    edited 21 May, 2010
    As another poster said here it's not hair but saliva. I have 2 persian cats and I bathe them often and they hardly ever groom themselves- I do it for them:)). My friends who are allergic to cats can pet my cats as long as they want and be around them without even thinking of any allergic reactions. I bath my cats in kitchen sink using sprayer and I have special Metro blowdryer that dries their coats really fast (but doesn't dry out their hair). Show baths are another story but just regular baths are easy and do not take much time or efforts. And my persians have tons of coat!
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 23 May, 2010
    I have bad allergies and have 3 kitties and 1 dog. I take a prescription allergy medication, sleep with a humidifier, wash my hands frequently, and vacuum frequently. I also had allergy shots for 3 years and that helped. Some days are worse than others; if I\'m having a bad allergic reaction, I usually jump in the shower and that definitely helps! All that being said, some days it is pretty bad. But I love animals and would never consider living without them. If your boyfriend is willing to take a lot of precautions, it could work. But you definitely don\'t want to adopt a kitty and then end up having to re-home. Oh, one thing my allergy doctor recommends is keeping a room in the house (usually the bedroom) completely animal free so there is a kind of allergy-safe room. But to be honest, I don\'t follow that advice :D
  • Melissa DickersonMelissa Dickerson Elyria, OHMember Posts: 14
    edited 23 May, 2010
    Have your boyfriend try taking Benadryl. My sister's husband is allergic to cats, but if he takes a Benadryl, he can interact with Loverboy and even let him on his lap. Also, make sure your furry baby doesn't lay on or near your boyfriend's pillow.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Russian Blues, afaik, are not hypoallergenic. And to find a Russian Blue you'd need to go to a breeder - coming from someone who's worked at a shelter for 11 1/2 years, you're not going to find a Russian in a shelter. Cats in shelters that are gray or bluegray, are DSH's - common "moggy" cats.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Sable, not to argue but you CAN find Russian Blues in shelters. We had a hoarder situation here in NY recently where a woman started out with 2 Russian Blues and ended up with 37! :-O We fostered one of the Blues and he was absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately he wanted mom all to himself and refused to get along with me and Teddy. I understand that's one breed trait which you should take into consideration - they bond very strongly with their humans and often prefer to be an only cat. Of course, every cat is different and this one may have wanted to be alone because he came from a house of 37!!!
  • Anna DuchAnna Duch Member Posts: 170
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Anna speaking here: I'm a bit allergic to cats -- less than I was a few years ago when my college friends smuggled an abandoned kitten into our apartment building. I used to get a rash on my hands whenever I picked the kitten up, and I'd have sinus issues for the day. I was in an on/off relationship guy a few years later who owned a cat. I got stuffy but it wasn't too bad. I now own two cats -- Memphis has some Siamese/Oriental heritage, Tenny is weird Bengal-y/Tabby/Tortoiseshell amalgam. I don't have any allergy symptoms around them unless (as the case is currently) one is sleeping on my face. I vacuum twice a week to get rid of the kitty hair and use a wet Swifter in the kitchen and bathroom. Tenny is spending the night in my room while she has her stitches from her surgery. She has made my head her cuddle spot, so I'm stuffy with postnasal drip. I might have caught a cold at work this past week too - we had some sniffly patients. But this is the worse I've been since September when I got Memphis as a 6-week old fuzzball. EDIT: I'm not on any medication other than hot tea and showers! If I have a few symptoms, I'll talk a glass of Alka Seltzer and some headache medicine. Other than that, no regimen needed.
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMMember Posts: 2,957
    edited 8 June, 2010
    Russian Blues do produce less of the allergen Fel d 1. There is not quite as much info as there is on Siberians. --des