Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Plus Opinion on Changes...

scatha guardianscatha guardian southMember Posts: 158
edited 6 August, 2010 in Plus Friendly
Hey my Plus friends...if you have gotten over your shock, for good or bad, please put in your two treats about what you think of the new changes. (This is what I posted in another thread) Sorry Catster team, but you have really dumpped the dirty kitty litter all over the place! That \"Community\" bar is a royal pain in the butt. Half of the time the ad covers the right side of it up when you are on your own page and you have to refresh the page to see the darn thing! ! ! Why did you mess with the Search button??? It made it easy to find other cat pages and ANY info we wanted because there was categories to pick from to HELP you in your SEARCH. There are many other things I could go on about, but the main thing is that when I joined, I thought Catster was all about showing off the cats that were on here and the people who loved them...the stories behind the love. It was beautiful (and still is) to go from page to page and look at the pictures of these wonderful cats, the time that their loving mommies and daddies have put into their pages. Now that is shoved to the right side of the page, like a afterthought. The main part of the bar looks like a search engine you would find any place else on the internet. I am very disappointed in all of this. I have put in a lot of time and effort to show off my furbabies. I have also made many great friends, so at the moment, I am not going anywhere, but Catster HQ centainly did NOT think about how this would affect the people on here...unless they intend to do away with our pages one day also? Hook and Mommy Cassandra

Comments

• Kerstin KaufmannKerstin Kaufmann Member Posts: 9,254
    edited 26 May, 2010
    hi hook, i agree... the best is the background! everything else is - to cut it short - not \"really\" successful in my opinion. everything is TOO BIG and confusing. and btw: why aren\'t the groups one is admin of in the list of groups one is member of (like it was before)? i found them in the \"normal\" groups\' list but not on my community page. what\'s that good for? oh, and why is my person welcomed now and not me anymore? it was the special charme of catster that cats were the protagonists - is that past tense now??? are we only illustrations or avatars? that was not why we\'ve joined...
  • scatha guardianscatha guardian southMember Posts: 158
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Hello, ancient goddess Ishtar! Yes, Mommy did notice about them changing the name thing...I was very hurt. It was also very easy to click on all of our pictures and go to our pages, now it is getting harder to find THAT. Mommy is afraid many people are going to stop coming on here now, or even take there pages down. This is all very sad... Hook
    edited 26 May, 2010
    :?
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    We have to be honest....we don't like it :(( This community has been a big part of our lives for almost 5 years and we were very happy the way things were. I won't even start to list our dislikes....it's endless. Sorry HQ :(

Bruce The Boss

edited 26 May, 2010
    Hey Bruce (The Boss)...nice to know and sorry to say, that you would have many things to complain about to HQ. I really believe that they thought it would go over better than this. They should have taken a survey of the major stuff they were going to do first, to get an idea of what we thought BEFORE changing it all. If they want to be a search engine for cat info, do so. But if the WANT to be a social site for people who love their furbabies to meet and become friends with beautiful pages for all to see, do that FIRST. That is what mommy loves here...
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Yes Hook, a survey would have been good. Mum can't believe how upset she feels by all this. We knew there were going to be changes, but we never imagined it would be to this extent :( You are right Hook, we think people are going to be leaving. Mum was just reading the 'Catster' page on Facebook and there are lots of very unhappy 'Kitty Human Moms'.

Bruce The Boss

• Tina FurlotteTina Furlotte TorontoMember Posts: 1,273
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Mommy dont like the changes ethier, she has not been on alot and was shocked when she went on today and couldnt find her way around, she said its not as fun as before. Love Angel
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Great idea, Hook! Normally we love change. Obviously the assumption is that change is for the better. This time it a great big mess. Love the sisal wallpaper and the dog wearing the hat on homepage. But absolutely NOTHING ELSE! Speaking of home page~it is clear that now catster is now catering to cat people in general and not the existing community. So what is the point of having catster plus? We are not important anymore! :? About the Community drop down menu~it does work with Firefox but not IE (hidden half the time) What is up with all the white? Giving mom a headache! I could go on and on. But what is the point? Does anybody care? :? Smooches Milo
  • MouseMouse Near Camborne,Member Posts: 43,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    HATE IT. The Cornish crew. :(
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Does \"New Coke\" mean anything to you? I\'ve posted my opinion in my diary, in other forum posts, and on Ted\'s announcement post. Why did they not pick a focus group of long-time members? I think there will be many cats leaving if we don\'t hear something soon. Catster has definitely lost the appeal to many over the past year, and this is not going to help the situation. I completely dislike the layout of the Community Homepage. The COTD, COTW, and DOTD should be front and center - not some stupid links to Catster\'s Facebook and Twitter account. All the Moms are abandoning Catster for Facebook, so they should hide that link if you ask me! Please respond, HQ! I think you\'ve read enough about what we dislike!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Kath UsherKath Usher Hertfordshire, UKMember Posts: 1,378
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Horrendous ::o , I think we should start a "Protest" forum. Every fur who doesn't like the new layout, should post there. Then someone to ring HQ with the outcome, to what I've read no one likes it. Any fur with me? =;
  • Clare YatesClare Yates KentMember Posts: 322 ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    I don't like it, it took my mum ages to find the paw mail why change it when it was perfectly fine before? :?
  • Grace BollierGrace Bollier BryanMember Posts: 1,185
    edited 26 May, 2010
    A plague of 10000000 fleas is more fun than this new look..
  • Sandi GuzmanSandi Guzman WestfieldMember Posts: 3,252
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Totally hate this new catster set up! Im not going to be on here as much anymore, but atleast my momcat will save money on not buying zealies anymore. Catster needs to go back to how is was.....
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    I agree with all of you and like you Milo, I seriously doubt Catster cares as long as it does not hit them in their wallet. This used to be a safe friendly site where children could come unsupervised without fear of them seeing graphic photos of animal abuse and articles that would give them nightmares. But as all the trash mags will tell you sensationalism sells, Catster has made a sad move towards this. And the recent changes, pushing us to a second page and listing our family members in almost unreadable text on the edge of the page, not putting our prezzies by our names, having to go to a pop-up to get to the things we use most and this ugly cheap looking white background, I dislike all of it. Catster used to be about us, but more and more it is not. Grinching all of us on our voting earned zealies until a week-after Christmas so they could make extra sales, yeah I am like so many who is spending more and more time elsewhere. I won\'t leave because my friends are here, but I won\'t be spending as much on zealies from now on until they start putting some of that money towards good use. My family already request a click to The Animal Rescue Site blinkee on our pages in lieu of gifts on special occasions, wish more would do the same. I would rather feed homeless animals than corporate pigs.
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Thanks everybody...please tell more of your Plus members to come here and express their feelings about all of these. Our mommies and daddies paid good money into this company, they should at least listen to us. And what about buying Zealies??? Not anymore... Hook
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Okay just so everyone does not misunderstand my last post-when we found Catster we were thrilled, everything was so nice here. Cozy like that favorite sweater, but lately that sweater is unraveling into a big pile of useless rags, just like every other site on the net- crap. We are more sad than angry.:((
    edited 26 May, 2010
    We're sad too, Norman, because we know what the caring side of Catster looks like. By pushing us to "page 2" and treating its members like ugly stepsisters, it makes us feel that Catster doesn't care about its community any more. Zealie purchasing just ended in our family too.

The Cats in the Clover

• jennifer bucherjennifer bucher springfieldMember Posts: 2,021
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Just don't know why they had to mess up a good thing! We will not be renewing in October when our membership is up...we can't find anything and our codes are a mess AGAIN!!!! This is just not worth the stress and the headaches! Momcat says...if it isn't broke....DON'T FIX IT!!!!! :((
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Personally, I don't mind the changes after getting used to them for a day or so. The only things I don't like are: the change to the search bar as Hook mentioned, the carpet effect background (but I can live with that)and yes I agree that Cat of The Day/Week and DiaryOTD should be on the main homepage. There also seems to be an awful lot of adverts between messages on the group message lists, but I'm not really sure if there are more than before, or it just appears there are more than before. Other than that, I can't find too much to get my knickers in a twist about.
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 26 May, 2010
    I really think the cat of the day, week and dairy of the day need to be on the home page , along with our kitty faces and our gifties once we log in...Its like I don\'t exist!! Boo Hiss! And why does it greet my mommy, not me and my siblings? Mama says it feels like work trolling around the site now, not fun... We do like the carpet back ground, too bad we can\'t change the color to purrsonalize it though. The forums seem bigger to write in and the teal is ok... orange not so much...maybe even just a different shade would help Oh and that community drop down, it keeps getting blocked by ads!!!!!!!!!!!! :((:-/:-O:((
  • Karen ParsonsKaren Parsons GriffithMember Posts: 821
    edited 26 May, 2010
    The COTD and DDP and DOTD were how I made new friends....I will explore more this weekend....or maybe I will wake up and realize this was all a bad dream.....:((
  • Patricia ParkerPatricia Parker ClevelandMember Posts: 1,093
    edited 26 May, 2010
    I just found the \"new look\" today. Holy cats! Our pages are messed up and we can\'t find our friends as easily as we could before. The wrath of Bastet upon HQ. :-O
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    I'm very concerned that it's all about the dollar, i.e., NUTRO is a paying advertiser on the site. You can find ads on Dr Barchas Vet Blog no less. Truly, we do our best to stay informed and then are sabotaged by NUTRO being an advertiser. Makes me sick. A site that wants to be THE destination should have a vetting process for food advertisers.
  • PipoMinko_MJF_DaltonPipoMinko_MJF_Dalton Battle CreekMember Posts: 372 ✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2010
    When I 1st came to the catster/dogster sites several months ago, I loved it. So much that I bought a plus membership. Both sites were very user friendly and a great display of our pets was always there. It was quick to see what was new and what needed immediate attention, such as saying thank you for gifts, answering mails, and seeing who of our furends might be in the place of honor for that day or week or month. While they\'re still there, they have to be sifted out of all the enormous amount of cat litter, or on dogster in the dooley pail!:? Another thing that seems quite strange is that while I have 6 kitties on catster, only 2 of them ever say anything...because they are alive. They were the 1st cats I profiled...so why on earth are 2 of my angel cats showing up, and the last 2 that I put up...:-k Some told me that perhaps the facebook people were trying to take over the site...and of course their agenda is not pets. It is about the almighty dollar, and serving their own purposes. I also feel my anonymity is not being served, since now I am greeted when I log on...Duh! was it not my cats/dog whom I wished to be the social ones!?:? While I don\'t plan on abandoning my cat/dog furends anytime soon, it would seem that many are being scared off by all these unfriendly changes. Everyone loved things the way they were, more or less...why completely change that which is not broken!?:-/ You should have asked the most active members what their opinions and desires were before you made these radical changes. Sorry HQ, you are in the dog house and cat litter box, until you put things right. Soon you will be losing many of your paying members who will just leave in disgruntled disgust! Or they won\'t pay to be plus members anymore if this is the service we are getting.:( So! Now I have spoken my mind on behalf of my pets, their friends and all the other unhappy members, plus or not! Pipo, Minko, and Freckles
  • Kristi PewKristi Pew OceansideMember Posts: 469
    edited 26 May, 2010
    We don't like how the sense of community is gone from the site. I don't want to see information when I come here. I want to see who the COTD, COTW and DDP are at a glance. I want to see what my friends are up to, whose rosies are whose, stuff like that. But what we REALLY don't like are the ads everywhere, even on our pages. Mama thought that with a plus membership, at least our private pages would be free from advertisements. Not any more apparently. It certainly makes mama think twice about renewing our membership at the end of the summer. Be careful Catster. Don't turn your backs on your long time members just for a little extra ad revenue. :-k
    edited 26 May, 2010
    The Pharoah Loki is rappin\' some stuff We\'re all upset and we\'ve had e-nuff The Catster logo is boring and plain It feels like we\'re all on a runaway train! The Cat\'s Meow is buried in litter Please move that link for Facebook and Twitter! I\'d rather see Cat of the Day and Week Front and center -- just a small tweak! The font is so small it takes a magnifying glass Nutro is advertising? that is just crass! Come on Top Cat let\'s hear from you We\'re all wonderin\' what you\'re gonna do Do us cats really matter at this website? If we do, you\'d better make it all right! I\'m done with this rap and that ugly cat head Off to my cloud until we hear from Ted!

The Cats in the Clover

edited 26 May, 2010
    There\'s a dog as a frog at the bottom of our site Nutro is advertisin\' Somethin\' ain\'t right! An ugly white cat invaded our logo Somethin\' tells me that is a no-go! I\'m still Newman and I\'m still cute Keep the cat in Catster or we\'ll give you the boot!

The Cats in the Clover

• shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 26 May, 2010
    Cannot agree more. I miss seeing my kitties when I log in and seeing the COTD and COTW and diary activity right away. I don't want to search. We do seem unimportant now and I hate that Nutro is advertising. I do like the sisal background, though. But that is it. Oh dear!
  • Susan BoydSusan Boyd Big Sky CountryMember Posts: 125
    edited 26 May, 2010
    We aren't fans of the "new" site. Mama says the glaring white looks unfinished and hurts her eyes, and she wonders why the white on our personal pages covers up almost all our pretty backgrounds but the text for our bios doesn't fill up the space. There are so many ads all over the place it makes mama tired. :(