Plus Opinion on Changes...

Comments

• Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,743
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Check the community page now. First batch of changes went in.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Thank you, Ted =D> That\'s all we needed to hear, that you are listening to us and making changes based on our feedback. The Community Homepage is already looking better with the recent changes - we\'re thrilled to see our entire family again instead of just 2 cats. Keep up the good work ;c;
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Glad to know our opinions matter, and it's good to see all of us on the Community Homepage. Can't wait for more changes!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Judy EastridgeJudy Eastridge ChicagoMember Posts: 1,845
    edited 27 May, 2010
    It took some practice learning where all the stuff is located, but after that....we like the new Catster look. Pages are much easier to read (Meowmy\'s eyes are older than dirt) and the pages load faster and it was much easier to give some Rosies today. Best of all...I look just as bee-you-ti-full as before! MOL!! ~a~~a~
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Thank you Ted! We appreciate you listening to us. We checked out the changes and so far, they look good. Nice to see all of our pictures there! =;
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Still don\'t like it! We want our names at the top of the page like they were before-not meowmy\'s name. We want the center of our homepage restored to the way it was before, with the prezzies by our names, the daily diary picks, cat of the cat/week and our friends updates with a click-able link back like they were. The group list there now is totally unusable, looks like a seek and find puzzle-tacky!The fact that you are on facebook and twitter means diddly to me, put that in a corner somewhere.
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Ted, I appreciate what you've addressed in your update and here. I and many others would like to see you address the Nutro as advertiser issue as well. And so far we like the tweaks to the new site - keep going! As I've said before, I think it can be done to make users more happy. (cookies - open community site by default for users)
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2010
    It is nice for those families that don't have very many cats that you added the photos, it does nothing for families of my size. The few photos you put up are not even the family members active most. I am really discouraged that when given the opportunity to redesign we were put on a second page and our pals updates even further back in a pop-up. Your priorities have been made very plain to all of us. I am hoping for some reversals of some of the damages done, but even if more changes are made, many of us will never feel the same way about Catster again. You have hurt many feelings.
  • Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Thanks for listening and responding Ted - it's a start. Chai & the SF Gals
  • Jody ButlerJody Butler CarrolltonMember Posts: 482
    edited 27 May, 2010
    I'm late in replying and it is good to see that HQ is aware of the unpopularity of the changes. All our pics still aren't on the community page. We're a large cat family and I don't like that some of our family don't rate pictures. When I post in the group where I'm the admin, the posters' pics no longer appear with their posts. That's part of the fun - seeing new members and how friends have changed their profile pic. I, too, feel that Community is no longer Catster's focus. If it were, then it would be the first page a visitor sees. The proof's in the pudding, as my grandmother used to say. Colors, etc, aren't that important to me. It's the feelings of community and support during the difficult times we all go through personally and as cat lovers that I value. Seeing these things relegated to a link we have to click and a user unfriendly set-up spoils, at least for me, the fun and sense of belonging that I found here. I'll give it time, of course, but right now, I don't see much use in being a Plus member...I can't even see my kitties prezzies right when I pull up the Catster site. I doubt I'll be using nearly as many zealies now...sigh...why can't folks leave well enough alone?
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 27 May, 2010
    Ted :-h How is that run on the aspirin going? I see where you are coming from. There is us who are here often and there is the occasional visitor. However, this split was achieved rather well with the Old Home Page and set up. It needed some brushing up, but it didn\'t need destroyed. Logged out gave you the Catster Home Page and logged in gave you your Personal Catster Page and member areas to access. I am a member of many sites that use this technique and it works very well, and it worked well here too. They don\'t make us members go to an entire different area. It\'s like we are now the red haired stepchild nobody wants. ( my human is a redhead so I\'m allowed to meow that ;) ) Something that you put in your post Ted makes me very sad. Quote \"I\'m sorry you feel the community is less important\" Ted. We Catster Members ARE The Community :((
  • SissyLukeCooterSissyLukeCooter St.Henri MontrealMember Posts: 2,195 ✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2010
    I am going to try to be nice, but the changes are furry upsetting and we are not happy! We visit almost everyday and were shocked, so we feel especially bad fur a fur who only stops by every week or month... Catster started as a community why are you furgetting that? I am furry happy that each cat in our furmily now has a photo on our community page! But the muted pink is still ugly! And the white everywhere... what were you thinking? I miss seeing our rosettes...we dont get then often like many others but we still loved seeing them on our homepage... We loved the old Catster logo and font, we are sad it was changed. We are sad about so many changes....
  • Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Hey, hey, I am the Nikolai And I cannot tell a lie No, I am just here to sing this ditty About the lack of catster community Catster says, "Welcome Amy" But she ain't part of the feline family Where is the cat's meow Has it taken it's final bow And isn't it a pitty That we don't go directly to the community Hey, hey, I'm the Nikolai And I cannot tell a lie No, I am just here to sing this ditty About the lack of catster community And now, a note from my sponsor, Evil Step Momma Amy: My sister was one of the original members of dogster, and when cats became part of my life, she pestered me to join catster. But I never did. And then Sheba began pulling her hair out. For weeks we were visiting the vet every week, putting flea powder on the carpet, trying different foods. We were desperate. I thought I would finally take my sister's suggestion and check out catster. I knew that some cat out there had experiences similar to Sheba. On the old catster, the forum tab was immediately visible from the homepage. When I created Sheba's profile, I did so because I wanted to post on the forums. I wanted to speak to other current cat owners who had similar experiences. And I was able to. I truly believe that the forums is one of the most important facets of catster, and I do not like that it is hidden under the community tab. If I were to come onto catster now as a newbie, I wouldn't see the community, I wouldn't see the forums. I would just see another informational site on cats. No more useful than any other animal site like medvet. That is very unfortunate. For those of us who have come to find a community in catster, it is disappointing to log-in and not be taken directly to the community homepage. It seems pretty clear to me that if we have made the effort to create profiles for our cats and to log-in, then we are interested in the community. I could see what catster had to offer on breeds, kittens, health care, and food without logging-in. I am logging-in to see what is happening in the community. That said, I have seen some improvement over the last day. The community page is a bit cleaner and more useful than a day ago.
  • Kerstin KaufmannKerstin Kaufmann Member Posts: 9,254
    edited 28 May, 2010
    oh, great. today i found a new "improvement". i incidentally read in a thread that one of my friends posted her opinion about the changes in her diary. :-k shouldn't i have seen she wrote something? it's one of my favorite diaries... :-k can anyone PLEASE tell me what is the "more" and "better" in community features when the purr board is showing only the last 10 changes (in cats not actions) - and not like it was before all changes of the past 2 days??? i've searched and found no way to change that limitation??? it's awful enough to not see thumbnails or entry titles anymore (that is a question of design and i could learn to live with it). but cutting me off my friends if i am not controlling my purr board hourly is - sorry, another word: - too much "improvement". i do not need to be protected against information overflow. the less when this new design is supposed to be "informational"...
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Thank you Ted for making some of the changes. I hope that you realize that people are so upset because the Catster Community is very important to us. No, many people don\'t like change and you can argue about whether that is \"good\" or \"bad\", whether people are flexible or stuck in a rut. But, when you take something that is important to people, not because it is mandatory, but because it is enjoyable and a way to spend their free time, and make it less user friendly and less welcoming, you can\'t expect anything other than the type of response that you have gotten. It might have been a good idea to make a statement ahead of time that along with the new look of Catster there would come some unexpected problems. That you knew that these problems might upset some people, and that you intend to fix them. That way people would have been forewarned and not so shocked and upset. Thank you again for trying to iron out the bugs. Purrs, Shade
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Thank you Ted for listening and trying to fix things. However until you realize that the Community IS catster and until you are able to convince us that we are not secondary to visitors to this place... I remain unhappy.
  • edited 28 May, 2010
    Here's my 2 meows on the changes on the community page. We have a large family of dogs and cats, still not everyfur has their picture showing. Under My Groups, the Zoe dog is an admin in two groups that Aren't Even Listed. She still has to click around to get to the groups. And the Purr Board includes dogs. Vice versa, the bark board has kitty cats listed on it. Our Meowmy spends Lots of time on Catster and Dogster and has spent tons of time fixing up our pages and helping the Zoe dog with the admin stuff. She doesn't want to leave but she is seriously thinking of not paying for our Plus account. :(
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 28 May, 2010
    It's just awful. I'm sure that everyone here has already voiced the complaints I have spcificially, but it's just impossible to navigate. And it always takes ten minutes to figure out how to get back to the page you started on. I'm not a computer wiz, but I do know my way around the INternet, and I have to say that this is just the worst site I've ever been to. I hope they fix things soon.
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Purr-sonally? It makes me sick. :(( I've been on Catster for 6 years in August, and I suddenly have no desire to be here any more. It may as well be one of those about.com websites. It looks tacky, and the white is ugly. I miss the cute catster logo, and what happened to the Catster Green? The homepage takes me back to the green one - woot! - but nothing shows up in the boxes - no pawmail, no friends, etc. And seriously, carpet? When I see carpet, I barf on it or scratch it... and Human would have a coronary if I did either of those things onn the monitor... I haven't gone that deep into Catster yet, and I'm a bit afraid to go to my page. I will not be renewing my Plus this June. If HQ doesn't make some serious changes, I will not be coming back. I hate to throw away 6 years of friends and fun, but I am seriously thinking about it. :(( Sad Purrs & Pounces, ~Chey~ PS - I'd be really curious to see how many cats get added daily from here on out...
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Must say though, I kinda like my page - the blue funky background trumps the ugly carpet. :))!
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,743
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Some changes/fixes just went live: * Homepage autologin bug is fixed * IE7 users now always see the whole Community tab at all times * IE7 users see whole community page * Some obscured links have been made obvious again * We put a small but sincere "Here kitty, kitty." on the Community Homepage * Cat of Day on Commuity Tab is same as Community Page Many many more fixes/updates to come: * Making carpet more fun (and yes, we'll be changing background image often) * Making text on white pages easier to read * Better fonts for FF PC and IE PC. * And about another 25. too many to write Also I want people that customize their pet pages and groups to know that we worked very closely with Pawsome Pages people to make sure that most of the original embed and tweaks still work exactly the same. If you go to any furiends page with custom headers and fonts you'll still see them Also all the custom buttons we're updated to work on the new site and it will also change you top bar and footer area to that color. Just go to custom buttons in your pets admin account links to set your own! Ted @ HQ Oh yeah? Is everypaw loving the free BBQ Picnic! It's our little long weekend thanks to everyone for being such great members!
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Thanks, Ted, we knew you were a good guy! We appreciate you listening and responding to our concerns and requests. You\'ll never make everyone here happy, so don\'t even try. We\'re a very passionate Community and care so much about Catster, we just want to keep the Community accessible to everyone, including new furs who visit the site for the first time. It is the heart of Catster and we want to keep it that way. The free BBQ Picnic is purrtastic - thanks and have a great weekend yourself! ;c;
  • Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Hi Ted! Thank you for updating us, it means a lot to us that you guys are listening & taking our ideas into consideration. The community home page is looking better all the time. I'm so glad we can now see our friends & corrals recent activity. And I see we now have a few cute greetings back. And the free rosies is a nice surprise! We know you guys work very hard to keep us safe from those trolls & trust me it is VERY much appreciated. I also am liking how we can now see the rosies for each cat on the side instead of having to go to each page. I don't know if the NUTRO problem has been addressed yet, but I really hope you guys think about what having their name associated with Catster & Dogster can do to harm more animals than they already have. I know we all appreciate your dedication to us & all the time & work you put in. I hope you all have a relaxing Memorial Day weekend!
  • Dee FreyDee Frey Member Posts: 363
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Is there a reason why we need to have white pages?? We don't know if anyone likes that at all!! Also, for your info we are having intermittent problems with the community tab not working at all, and this was on firefox. thanks!
  • Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Hi Ted, Great changes. I'm delighted to see the recent rosettes for each kitty listed on my Community Home Page and also the Recent Diary & Corral activity. My one hot button (pardon the phrase) is that it can still be hard to get back to the Community Home page from some pages since the Community button doesn't display. So I have to go back to the site Homepage, then click Community, then click Community Homepage. You really need a button that takes us right back to the Community Homepage and it needs to be on every page in the site - just like on the old site where we could click Catster and be back to the homepage. I'm glad to see Here kitty, kitty back too. You know we really miss the old Catster logo - would you consider changing it to Catster Community with the old Catster logo - I think you would make a lot of us happy if you did that. Happy Holiday to you and all of the crew and thanks for the free bar-b-q and the great San Francisco weather - you gave us that too - right?? Purrs, Chai & the SF Gals
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 May, 2010
    I\'m so happy to see changes based on our suggestions. Thank you so much, HQ! I do agree that the logo at the bottom is very unattractive - such a scary looking kitty in that letter a. We loved the logo that we had - this plain white one at the top has got to be improved! I had an observance the past two days regarding the Diary of the Day and the five diaries listed in Diary Central. In the past, the Diary of the Day has always been the top one on the list of five. For the past two days, the cat that is Diary of the Day does not show up on the list of five at Diary Central. In fact, yesterday\'s cat at the top of the list of five is today\'s Diary of the Day. Looks like the Diary Gal needs to be made aware of this problem.

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• edited 28 May, 2010
    =D> Thank you Ted and Caster HQ, you listened to us and that is very much appreciated. We are sorry to have been a little harsh, but we were in shock and didn't like it. Slowly we are seeing a better change. Keep up the good work. Sorry we have you guys at Catster HQ working over time. It will be worth it when it's completed. Thank you for the Bar-B-Que! Happy Memorial Day Ted and to Catster HQ. Meow meow meow Purrs purrs purrs Riley and Skippy =D> =D> =D>
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 28 May, 2010
    Hi Ted and HQ, Would you please consider adding a box or something to the new homepage that welcomes potential new members to the community? Perhaps it could say something like, "Explore and Join the Catster Community Now!" with a clickable link. The orange community button currently on the homepage is very easy to miss (the page is pretty busy and the orange looks more like an ad than a part of Catster), especially if a person is a new visitor. I understand Catster is interested in drawing numbers of visitors and hoping that all the cat information on the homepage will be a big draw, but I truly believe that the heart and soul of Catster, the Catster Community, is what keeps people coming back to Catster. Something visible on the homepage that lets new visitors know that they can be a part of the amazing Catster Community would make a big difference in how I view the homepage. Thanks for listening.
  • LilyLily BranfordMember Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 May, 2010
    But most of my page is gone! Help! I don\'t know what to do--it\'s horrible! My photos, my diary, my gifts--all gone!!!!:-O :-O :-O :-O Help! Help!
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 28 May, 2010
    I also like the changes. It feels like things are heading in the right direction. I have a question and maybe some others here can answer. I have quite a few cats corralled. If I want to go see one of their pages, is there an easier way? This question didn't just come up with the latest changes, but it's on my feline mind.