Plus Opinion on Changes...

Comments

• Jeanette CereskeJeanette Cereske San FranciscoMember Posts: 16,444
    edited 28 May, 2010
    MOL Athena - your page is gone! I hope HQ can help you get it back! Purrs Chai
  • Alex MillsAlex Mills LeedsMember Posts: 12
    edited 29 May, 2010
    To put it bluntly HQ, you have monumentally ruined a fantastic site. I would be over the moon if you bring back the OLD CATSTER right now and we can put this whole sorry saga behind us. I have emailed to tell you this, as I hope others will too. The new home page is horrible and devoid of everything I loved, which seems to have been stuck on the community bar out of site. Yet all the options you have hidden seem to be the ones we use the most. If I want advice about my cats, I'll ask my vet. I come here for fun. I hate the community button which is too big and clashes spectacularly with the rest of the nav bar and the new default colours are hideous. As are the new backgrounds, particularly the vile dirty-carpet one behind this message. Please please restore the old site we knew and loved.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I thought the carpet was a scratching post. Quite apt for us cats I thought.:-# But what do I know. I like the changes but I did find it really hard to go to the cats blog. I loved just popping over to see whats new. I still need to find it:-/ P.S thanks for the free gifts I loooove that ~a~
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Hi Ted, thanks so much for listening to us. We really appreciate it. Oh, please the white has to go. It is like looking at snow with the sun shining on it. Thanks so much for the free rosies and Happy Birthday to you! Smooches Milo
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    When I said I like the changes, I meant the tweaks to the changes, not the original changes. It's getting confusing to meow. The white is too bright. This site is about reading and writing and it's hard on the eyes if you are at it for any length of time. It still needs to be fixed. And I'm still tellin' you that you can save a WHOLE lot of grief if you can figure out a way to have members see the community page when they log in or go to catster.com instead of the outsiders' page. We have no use for the outsiders' page and it takes 2 clicks to get where we want to go. Then half the time it asks us to log in even though we're already logged in. Still waiting to hear what you're going to do about Nutro too. Think of it this way. You don't want obscenities on here for a 7-year-old user. Ok, so this hypothetical user, lets call him Danny gets a cat. His parents know nothing about cats so they pick the food on the vet page, Nutro. Nutro has one of it's many recalls and the cat dies from bad food. How much worse is that than obscenities??? Danny's parents find out that Nutro is hated by serious cat lovers. Your credibility is in the toilet with Danny and his parents at that point. Don't sleep with dogs - you'll get up with fleas.
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Athena: If you can get to your account, maybe try removing the falling goldfish. I think that is where I would start in trying to figure out why everything on your page disappeared! It might not have anything to do with the problem, but you could at least give it a try! Good luck!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Dee FreyDee Frey Member Posts: 363
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Mewwwy Mew!!!! We thought it is worth repeating that for some reason the community pull down does not work all the time. In fact, it doesn't work a large percentage of the time. We have to click on another page and hope it will work once we get another page reloaded. It has happened on multiple computers now for us. This is very frustrating because it makes it more difficult to navigate.
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaMember Posts: 1,016
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Hi everyone, Thanks for all your posts, positive and not. We are still working hard, fixing what we can quickly fix (some things you have already seen) and processing the bigger picture things. We are sorry this has been so frustrating for everyone, but stay with us, we will work it out. Some stuff takes a little longer to work out. Hope you are having a great holiday weekend. John @ HQ
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Thank you very much for being responsive to the Communties\' suggestions!
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Hi John :-h It means a lot to us that you guys are listening and working so hard to make changes for us - thanks and try and get some rest this weekend! Happy Birthday to Top Cat Ted! ;P
  • LilyLily BranfordMember Posts: 23,419 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I have the same problem as Aryeh with the "Community" button. When I go to Catster, sometimes I have a message from my browser that there is an error on the page. This always portends a non-working "Community" button. Of course this is minor compared to the fact that my page is still mostly gone! Not only don't I have Catster Plus anymore, despite having recently renewed my membership, it seems that I now have Catster Minus. . . . *flips tail sadly* Removing the goldfish didn't seem to help--neither did putting them back.
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I just wrote a diary entry on how stinkin' MAD we are. Meowmmy said I should probably watch my language, but I told her that it doesn't matter because no one will be able to actually FIND it to read it anyway! :r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r Aside from the obvious problems, Mewom said that half the time the Community button doesn't even work, and she has to refresh the page. By the time it re-loads, she forgets what she was going to do in the first place. Hisses, Coop
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I\'m lost. The site is difficult to navigate now. It\'s hard to figure out how to go to get to where I want to be and am having to use the search feature at the top right-hand side of the screen. That\'s how I got here and how I get to Diary Central. That\'s not the way it should be. There should be a button for all the key spots on Catster on the homepage as soon as you arrive on the site. I want to be greeted by my name, not my human\'s name. And what\'s up with Vanessa\'s photo appearing before mine on the community homepage? :-/
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Some of the recent changes and \"tweaking\" have helped, but... - As several Catsters have mentioned, all the white is too bright and hard on the eyes. - The new white Catster logo at the top of the page is too plain and boring. - I personally still find the new design to be too busy, more difficult to navigate, and also agree a first time or casual visitor to Catster may not even find the Community and all the features Catster has to offer as some features are so buried. Just my personal opinions. Glad Catster HQ is listening and I look forward to Catster making more tweaks and improvements based on our reactions.
  • Timmy_TomcatTimmy_Tomcat Plymouth Meeting 19462Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Not good. I am relatively a new member and would not have become a plus member if the site was as it is now when I first joined. I really do not know what the intention was, but... You should have had a beta and had a select group to test this. It never fails to amaze me how people never pay attention to that old saying \"If it ain\'t broke! Don\'t fir it!\" :-/
  • Mietzi_KatzeMietzi_Katze IowaMember Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I like the home page. Except I and my friends are not on there. Only when I click on Community can I get to my stuff. I clicked on my Mom's name that is up there in the left corner, and that also takes you to the "your account" page. That might be a faster way for me to get to my page (the cat's page). It used to be I could just click on the word Mietzi or Timo and there it was. I want that back. So we have the new carpet on the outside but then when you get to the group or forum threats you have the same ugly green in the middle. It looks like it's half done. I'm not a purrticular fan of Iams green and orange but I know they gotta have sponsors or they can't do this at all. Overall: very hard to find stuff, takes some getting used to. But a good start to a change. Forgot something: how do I even know if I got a new pawmail? There is no indicator on the homepage anymore. Also I can't see what my friends are up to. It's all hidden somewhere else. Don't like that. Members should be able to click one button and then have all their info (like friend request, pawmail) and their friend's status (like wrote new diary entry, posted new pic..) in one place the way it was before, just prettier.
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,743
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Hi Athena, I just fixed your page back to almost it's complete glory. The problem was one of the extra bio fields. The HTML was crazy jumbled. I have no idea how it worked before actually. So all I did was unset it to appear and Athena's page and all the other embeds work on it. So sorry we couldn't catch that in advance, we understand how much work everyone puts into their pages, but we're more than happy to help fix them. Just email ted @ catster.com :-h If anyone else wants to fix a non-displaying pet page on their own what I do is unset all fun stuff bio fields and add them back one by one (reloading the pet's page each time) to see which one is causing the problem. Many many meows Ted @ HQ
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Same problem as Coop!! Our community button does not work half the time!!!! And there is no other way to get around!!! :-O:-O:-O:-O:-O
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,743
    edited 29 May, 2010
    So sorry about the community button. Really. Very sorry. Here's how to work around. Try to not click the community button until the page has had time to load. Really sorry about that. If it wasn't a long weekend it would be fixed by now. Another option is to bookmark www.catster.com/community and click that bookmark. Meows!
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Ted, How about sorry I am misleading cats/dogs on Nutro and will pull their ads?
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    I've noticed that the captions, including names of cats and diary titles, that go with photos don't appear closest to the photo they're supposed to describe. Are other cats seeing this too? It would be great to have this fixed.
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 30 May, 2010
    We dont log in all that often, life is kinda busy... but all we thought when we came back was how uterly ugly everything is. Our mama being a webmaster herself...shes hopeful that once the "bugs" are worked out things will be better. ...but Misty still says its ugly..and Annabelle thinks its disorganized.
  • scatha guardianscatha guardian southMember Posts: 158
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Well, it is nice to know that HQ is hearing what we have to say in this forum. You MUST understand that we reacted this way when we thought that our community of friends and cats were being pushed aside. Our furbabies mean so much to us, we surround ourselves with them, day in and day out. May times they are the only ones that help US get through tough times. Our pages that honor them are our expression to the world of our love and devotion to these wonderful creatures. When our babies get sick, it is the friends we make here, the people on the forums and in the groups that help us to get by, to hold on, that here is HOPE. And for others, when their furbabies travel on to the Rainbow Bridge, it is ALSO these people that help them survive! It is not this teal-colored bar that you see when you log into Catster, it is that Community that many NEW people may never know about, because of the way it is designed now. I do hope things continue to change for the better, and more people join Catster. Just don\'t forget that it is the CATS, their pages, and the people who love them, that really make Catster! Purrs, Hook (and Tabitha, Tipper, and Zena)
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Ted or John or whoever responded about the Community button. It is not a problem with the page not being loaded before trying to click on that button. Whenever you land on a page that is missing most of the big teal area in the footer, then the Community button at the top does not work -- or maybe it's vice versa. I don't know which is the cause and which is the effect, but they seem to go together. I tried reloading a page like that several times -- without touching anything on the page while it was loading -- and it never loaded a functioning Community button nor a complete footer. It's happening to me more frequently than it was at first. I use Safari.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 30 May, 2010
    We are having the same problem that Scooter has described and are using IE. It seems to be happening more frequently.
  • Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 30 May, 2010
    I\'m so glad to see HQ responding to more of our concerns, yet one that been asked about by several members is being completely blown over. Why is NUTRO an ad on these sites! Ted, you have given us lots of answers for other things & you guys are all working hard on hammering out things that will help us adjust to the changes better. But why are you so silent about promoting NUTRO on these sites? It\'s a very real question & concern, as NUTRO was one of the foods that KILLED cats & dogs and has been on the recall list more than once. We don\'t want to see any of our precious friends leave the site over this, so why not just get rid of all the NUTRO ads? Surely there are better ads you can have up that don\'t have the reputation of killing cats & dogs...
  • Kath UsherKath Usher Hertfordshire, UKMember Posts: 1,378
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Ted, please can you remove the box at the bottom of our pages please. If you could, that would be fantastic. Thanks again for listening to us. ;)
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Yeah we're having the same problem with the community button not working on some pages. As well as the community page not sticking when we try to bookmark it to open in a tab in Firefox. The only place I can tell you for sure the button didn't work was when I was reading diaries. Then it's a pain to try to get back to the community page.
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    OK cats, let's hear it for the new layout! Ready?? ***HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS****
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Not sure if this is due to the changes but it just started happening this week: When I receive Friend Requests from other Catsters and I accept the request, my acceptance notifications come to my email (with my message) instead of to the friend who made the request.