Plus Opinion on Changes...

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Don't treat us like children. Nutro ads on Dogster is just as criminal, as many dogs died from their poison as cats. We know you were under intense pressure from Nutro because of diary entries about their recalls, namely mine since my page gets a lot of hits every day. Don't use a lot of words to say little. Come out and say that you made a deal with NUTRO knowing full well their poor history of food safety. Stand up and say it. (these guys sound a lot like BP executives!) totally disgusted HL
  • Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
    edited 2 June, 2010
    We are sickened and disgusted and are now looking for another site to move to. And it will not be Facebook. If we have to resort to regular emails to stay in touch with our friends so be it - at least we can share photos and stories and not feel we are part of something that is being sponsored by a despicable amoral company. They even have a group page on here - that is horrible and we didn't even know about that until today. SHAME ON YOU, CATSTER/DOGSTER!!! And you are based in San Francisco too - a city that prides itself on social awareness, activism and not being part of corporate greed - what a joke!
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    The major pet food brands feed most of our cats and dogs, and the responsibility for providing affordable, nutritious and quality food firmly rests on their shoulders. But it is our duty as pet owners to hold them accountable to their actions today. And that is why we don\'t want Nutro on Catster/Dogster! We are holding them accountable and SAYING NO! We decided to do business with Nutro - and its Natural Choice Brand - because it was the first time a large company had openly solicited feedback from its customers on a community site like ours. So why didn\'t you get feedback from the community BEFORE you took their money? My promise to you is to always think about the community first. If this statment is to hold any credence, then you know what to do! No to Nutro!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

edited 2 June, 2010
    Just curious about how Dr. Barcus feels having Nutro plastered all over the vet blog?

The Cats in the Clover

edited 2 June, 2010
    Part of John at HQ\'s response over at the Dogster forum: . . . .But, yes, this is a business - no one has ever denied that. We employ people with families to support. Our server costs, employee health insurance and payroll are very expensive. We believe that it is the American way to be able to provide for your family by starting and growing a business from nothing at all. So yes, many of our decisions are business-minded just like I am sure happens at the companies that employ our members - maybe even yours. It is also true that not all decisions are business. Making decisions both on what is good for the business but ALSO what is good for your people/community/customers/neighborhood/industry/planet is super important in this world and super important to us. And my response: We realize that it takes a lot of money to run a site like Catster and Dogster. If your decisions are based on the company and based on what is good for the community, can you not find another company to do business with besides Nutro? I mean, come on, how many cat/dog products are out there? A gazillion! Find a good product (like Wellness), and court them! Surely you have a marketing guy that can sell Catster/Dogster like nobody\'s business! When you lie down with dogs, you get fleas! Your office must be swarming with them!

The Cats in the Clover

• Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Steve as someone with both a dog on Dogster & cats on Catster I am curious how this feedback was solicited from the dogs on Dogster & I know I was never aware of it. Thank you in advance to your quick response to this question.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Interesting that this Nutro "poll" was not put on Catster. HL
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Steve, Either you didn't read the forum on Nutro that Dogster has or you're lying. There are several pro Nutro comments out there from people that work for Nutro! It's overwhelmingly anti-Nutro. And I suspect if you did a poll, they loaded the responses somehow. Read the forum. For dog's sake google Nutro! It's not hard to discover what's been going on with that company. Secondly, I did a LOT of research when the melamine issue happened. I learned that cats are generally more sensitive to food issues than dogs are. So you cannot treat dogster and catster as interchangeable. We're not going anywhere. We will be here telling new members to Google Nutro to counter the ads you're running. So this is not going to die down and it's not going to go away. I run a business too. But I don't sell my soul to do it. If you're a true business cat, you know that ethics can make or break a business. Mama is an MBA. Some businesses do put money over ethics and some get away with it. Most have unending hassles. Ask BP. Ask the national banks. Don't be like them.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Mr. Lollycat~ it was on the main Dogster page not that long ago. The dogs on Dogster rallied to let it be known that they don't like Nutro. I can't imagine why it was not put on Catster :?
  • Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
    edited 2 June, 2010
    OMC! Catster thinks Nutro is a GOOD company. Click on the "advertise" button on the bottom right hand corner on any catster page. This is what it says: Advertising on Catster! Dogster and Catster are fun sites with a serious mission to celebrate fluffy love. Dogster is serving over 15 million pages a month on average and Catster is serving over 7 million pages a month. We offer good advertising opportunities for good companies. If you are interested please take a moment to tell us about your product or service and we'll get back to you with more information. Meow! Based on the above, we can infer that catster thinks Nutro is a GOOD company because Nutro is allowed to advertise on catster.
  • Mels CatsMels Cats UpstateMember Posts: 176
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Just another cat family here, saying that NO we don't want to talk to Nutro and get more lies and PR spin. They are still having complaints about pets getting sick from their food. All they are doing is trying to do damage control and gloss things over. Why would we want to participate in that? Believe me, we know first hand that all the major pet foods have issues. But I honestly can't find one that has been responsible for more deaths and illnesses than Nutro.
  • Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Many Dogsters say they've contacted Nutro only to get a lot of doublespeak and no real sympathy or action. Why in the world would anyone want to talk to a company like that? Just walk away.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Thanks for the link to The Cat\'s Meow blog regarding Nutro, Wendy. Catster has buried The Cat\'s Meow blog so deep it\'s pathetic! Why don\'t you bury Nutro instead, HQ, and give us back our blog in a prominent place where we can find it! It\'s not fair that we had to wait YEARS to get a blog. We have a good one now, and you gotta be a detective to find it! It needs to be on the Community Homepage ASAP! Thank you for getting all our pets to show on the Community homepage - Rocky appreciates it. Now, I just wish I wasn\'t told to log in everyday when I\'m already logged in! Coming to Catster is more work than fun, and this is the first time in 4 years I\'ve felt this way! :(

The Cats in the Clover

• Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 2 June, 2010
    I have the community page set as my home page, every time I open it, I get the same message that I need to log in. So I have to click the home button on my browser & ta-da I'm already logged in. Trying to get my recent activity link to open takes forever & I'm on a cable connection. Half the time it takes so long I have to click the link again before it will work. No other non-catster pages I go to have any problem opening, so it is solely a catster thing. I do appreciate all the changes you have made by listening to us & am looking forward to even more! I still miss the old Catster logo & something really needs to be done about all this white. It is glaring & gives me a headache & I have fairly good eyes (with my glasses anyway.) A lot of my friends can't play on here because it hurts their eyes too much. I too hate to see the Cat's Meow blog hidden so far away it takes an excavation to find it. Though I'm finding a lot of the links we had at a click are now that way as well. As for the NUTRO, I am very, very saddened by your explanation. I would like to have a simple yes or no. Is NUTRO going to stay on the sites? Yes or No? This is certainly decide how I proceed with my Plus membership as well as buying zealies, which I have put on hold until we hear back. It's either about the bottom line or it's about the members that made this site what it is. You can always find better advertisers than one that kills the very animals you claim to care about. Waiting for an answer...
  • edited 2 June, 2010
    My Dogsis, Babee, asked the Dogsters what was up, and almost all of the responses so far were "We don't know, WE didn't give any positive feedback!" To quote one response: Holy cow... I can't remember a single person talking in favor of Nutro when that survey took place, except the Nutro reps, and they talk in the same circles as the company. Is this actually as backhanded as it sounds? Nutro posts a survey asking for open opinions Nutro counts all responses Nutro sends a generic rebuttal and contact information to all negative responses Nutro talks everyone who bothers to call in circles until they give up in frustration Nutro counts every person who stopped calling or didn't bother to call as a now satisfied customer and tells Dogster we love them I mean... That's just insane. But I definitely don't remember many positive reviews or satisfactory follow ups... I think there's a step missing... "Nutro pads the responses with their own pets" Also, there's another part of Steven's letter that makes me growl... Quote: ...we have been really cautious about how to deal with all the major pet food brands as all of them have records that in some way have not held up to the higher litmus test we demand What I want to know is, just exactly how many recalls per year are allowed by this "higher litmus test"? I think it's important that the rest of Catsterland is a part of this discussion, so I've followed up in this thread. Please weigh in there as well.
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Samoa, we are with you on that one. We have been members for 5 years this coming August and the past week or so have felt like a real chore. Some evenings we have suddenly realised we are not even logged on, and thats a first, we are ALWAYS logged on :? It's all just been too frustrating and upsetting :(

Bruce The Boss

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 2 June, 2010
    We're another cat family that does not want to see Nutro ads on Catster. Also agree all the white is too bright and hard on the eyes.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Thank you Tasha! So that would be like the main page that if it were put on today on either Dogster or Catster nofurr would EVER see it because we've been told to bookmark the community page? :?:?
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Has an cat read the "About Us" introduction? About Dogster, Inc Dogster, Inc is the creator of award-winning sites Dogster.com, Catster.com, Snuzzy.com, The Vet Blog and more. Our flagship sites, Dogster and Catster, are the most helpful online sources for all things dog and cat related because we offer knowledgeable and trustworthy expert points-of-view as well as a vast wealth of opinions, advice and wisdom from our large community dog and cat owners. Dogster Media is fresh way to look at digital media in the pet space. Not all pet content is created equally and we offer complete transparency in where your brand is being seen, by whom, how often and next to what content. Our carefully selected publisher group represents the best in social media, humor, photo sharing, coupon delivery, image searching, pet adoption, information, mobile, video and retargeting. We have partnered with over 300 major brands and develop custom campaigns around any budget. Dogster Media directly reaches more then 7 million monthly pet owners, with 3 million pet profiles, 4 million edited video views, 200 million ad views and over 1 million people organized on Facebook, Twitter, Digg and StumbleUpon. Dogster, Inc was founded in 2004 and is located in San Francisco.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Yes Mr. Lollycat! The old main Catster/Dogster page that used to have everything we ever wanted before everything got changed an stuck under the orange community button...
    edited 2 June, 2010
    T C, The end to what you quoted could well be "founded in 2004, Catster/Dogster's demise took place in 2010"
    edited 2 June, 2010
    *hugs her dear furriend HL* Let's hope they come around & that doesn't end up being the case.
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 2 June, 2010
    *props sign up higher!* No to Nutro! No to Nutro! (psssst..... we'd be happy to help make kitties pictures like mine, if it helps Catster change their minds!) ;)
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Everyone is welcome to copy my main photo too.
  • edited 2 June, 2010
    I've also re-titled my diary "No to Nutro"
    edited 2 June, 2010
    I hash a question fur HQ, yesh! If these wash human children who had died from eating a poisonous food, would you shtill be doing business with them? Does it matter less shomehow bc the deaths were animal deaths? It'sh just shomething we were thinking about - and we think if it had been humans dying that the company would be out of business now shmaybe? That human death might be taken more seriously and that ish not right, we dun thinks!! My brother and I would LOVE one of those pictures with us holding NO TO NUTRO signs - those are rockin' Chayenne. Does I think HQ cares about ush at thish point - no I don't - I finks they cares about $$$$$ from Animal Killing Nutro and that ish the bottom line. Their words ish hollow and we sees right through them.
    edited 2 June, 2010
    The dogs are barking about how this here http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/675449 And they say they sent those questionaires back about Nutro saying they would never use it. I smells a rat.....
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Samoa I agree with you about the Cats Meow Blog. :^: It should be on the front page. It\'s interesting, it\'s informative, and it\'ll disappear if it\'s too hard to find. We need to keep it. Not only is it good, it\'s good for Catster as many non Catster / cat people read it and then it draws them to Catster. It\'s a promotional thing you don\'t want to miss out on.:( Please think about it. I haven\'t looked at it in days as I still need to locate it. I\'m sure it\'s there I just haven\'t had the time to look. There\'s a fun competition on it too, but I\'m still yet to find the details. If it was on the front page it would have been a click away.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    I love Wanda's cartoon, the cartoonists can have a field day with this one. I too was thinking of drawing a few. One where all the cats run to the computer for Catster time, and then stop in their tracks wondering where Catster is. The other was one of the Cats starting to write an eulogy for Catster and another one saying it's not over yet, we just need to adjust. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time I'm struggling to be on Catster because for me it is taking forever for the pages (the little gift box messages) to load. I received lots of gifts but it took the human 2 hours just to read one of our pages it was that slow and she daren’t try to respond to them as that would have taken forever. I'm sorry but the wait is hard.
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Thank you Raza. I think it gets the point across. We have all been banging our heads against the wall for so long trying to get through to Catster just how important Nutro removal from here is and we are being ignored/brushed off. We are fighting this so hard to honor those who lost their lives to this poison food and are being made to feel as if their lives were not important to Catster, It is so frustrating. Myself and many others will NOT be buying any zealies until this is resolved. Money (or lack of) seems to be the only language Catster understands right now.