Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Does anyone feed their cat armadillo meat?

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 2 June, 2010 in Who's Feeling Silly
Does anyone feed their cat armadiilo meat?

Comments

• Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 1 June, 2010
    I never have but I don't think I would either. I don't know if it is considered a "safe" meat.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 1 June, 2010
    well, it seems more likely to be part of their natural food chain than cow or sheep or (for crying out loud) elk. i KNOW they eat small possums. but then there's the armor-plating.:-k to be serious for a sec, i know that armadillos can carry some pretty weird diseases-i think they're a leprosy vector, unless i dreamed that or something. so i wouldn't feed it raw...but it would be a pretty cheap protein source. just walk along the highway with a garbage bag.
  • edited 1 June, 2010
    Armadillos used to be something only considered as a Texas animal. My dad and I drove up to Illinios. Saw dead ones all the way up to MO, only reason they couldn't make it into IL was because of the Mississippi river. My dad said he was going to bring a few across the bridge so they could keep going. I don't feed raw, but if I did, I don't know if that would be at the top of my list to feed in raw form. Cooked, I might trust that a bit more. But that wasn't what you were asking was it. ;)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Actually, there ARE armadillos East of the Mississippi now; they are now North of Atlanta and heading further North--I don't know if the lack of good dirt for burrowing will make them go around the Appalachian mountains, though. I have never heard of anyone eating one; I have no idea if a cat would eat it.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Indeed, there are plenty of armadillo recipes on the Internet. Raw, no. Armadillo meat balls and such. I wonder where people get their armadillos. I assume it's roadkill. People don't go out hunting for armadillos, as far as I know, but I'm from upstate New York. (Armadillos marching northwards...EEK!!). As for getting leprosy from armadillos, leprosy is actually not very contagious, and I don't think it can be transmitted through the oral route. But hey, I'm not a vet.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 1 June, 2010
    This is Delyte. We have a few armadillos in southern Illinois. They can walk across the bridges, including a few railroad bridges that are mostly deserted. Plus they have been seen swimming in the Mississippi, and at low water in the summer they could probably make it. The major obstacle is still the winter weather. Even with the warming, we have had too much cold weather for them to prosper this far north. They were getting to be common in SE Missouri, in the bootheel, but they have been having some bad ice storms in the winter and they say there are fewer armadillos. I don't think I would want to eat most of those animals that they say are natural parts of our diet! Whenever we get a mouse, we never eat it. Although I dissected one once ... We have possums and raccoons who come up on the porch, which is kind of scary, and I encountered some when I was lost in the woods. Plus our person thinks that armadillos are very cute, and almost got one from a pet store once! The cuteness factor is very big in determining what our people get for us to eat!
    edited 1 June, 2010
    That's for sure! When I posted about Japanese eating horse meat (mind you, this was a staple in the diets of cats and dogs in "Western" countries in the days before dry food), everyone said "YUCK!" Same thing for the whale hunting controversey surrounding Japan. Japanese people do NOT eat much whale meat, and whale hunting is basically limited to the area pinpointed on that recent documentary. A much bigger problem is bluefin tuna, which is the most common raw fish eaten in Japan, and which is being fished to the point of extinction. But people sympathize with horses and whales more than they do with tuna. Oh, I want a Mr. Yuk emoticon...and a poopie emoticon...
  • edited 1 June, 2010
    My dad will be depressed then. :))! My dad lives in Chester, IL near Carbondale and Chester's bridge is halfway closed. We were thinking that if they tried now would be the time for them to make it across the bridge. Was wondering if they would. And as for swimming in the Mississippi, I hope they were strong swimmers. It's kinda easy to swim in near the shore, but once you get to the middle all I can say is "may the force be with you":))!
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 1 June, 2010
    This is Delyte. Well, people will ALWAYS sympathize with a mammal rather than another order. Tuna are beautiful fishes, but somehow people cannot connect with them on an emotional level. It's probably the eyes. The thing with whales is that they might be more intelligent than humans. And a lot of horse lovers consider them to be intellectually near human level and they have a lot of communication with them, since they work together. It probably would seem silly for cats to be fed huge things that they could not possibly kill on their own, and spurn little things that they can catch! We'll compromise and say that we would like to eat crayfish! They live out by the streams here, and we hear they taste like shrimp. A long time ago, before any of us cats, our person caught a bunch of crayfish and they were going to eat them. They kept them in a dishpan on the kitchen table, and the cats she had then were SO interested in them. But before they got cleaned out enough to eat, the people felt sorry for them and put them outside. Frankly, I mostly prefer people food, the more highly processed the better. Dairy is my fav--ice cream, sour cream, butter, yum yum yum. Cats used to hang out around dairies and get leftover milk, but we were supposed to be killing and eating the mice who ate the cows' food. But when do cats ever do what they are supposed to do?! ;)
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Oh my goodness, I just realized that this thread\'s title reads \"armadiilo\" meat. I touch type at the speed of light. My computer at work has not been savaged by cats, but my home computer lost the \"a\" and \"s\" keys due to the antics of Harvard and Lowell. Whether they ate the keys or not, I don\'t know, and just gave up the idea of investigating every stool sample to see if they did. After all, you can get your keyboard fixed. I can still type on my home computer, but at a very slow pace. To write English, you really need quick access to \"a,\" \"s,\" and \"e.\" When I can\'t touch type, my finger positioning gets screwed up. Hence more mispellings. Hence my becoming hypergraphic when at work and writing on a computer that has all its keys. Whether I have all my marbles is another question, BUT I do know how to spell \"armadillo.\" And I\'m still getting creeped out by the image of armadillos swimming up the Mississippi and eventually starting to invade upstate New York. Upstate New York (home of \"The Twilight Zone\"\'s Rod Serling)is a creepy place to begin with. We have deer coming down from the mountains and, if you\'re not lucky that day, colliding with your car and causing fatal crashes. We also have rabid possums, raccoons, and bats. Nasty. All we need now is armored armadillos invading across state lines and passing leprosy onto the Humans living there. If this sounds paranoid, so be it. My hometown is on record as being the area in the U.S. with the least amount of available sunshine. Which means cloudy 99% of the time. People are deranged out there. Heh heh. I now live in Tokyo, which has better weather. But I rather miss my hometown.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Yes, dearest moderators, we've gone seriously OT here. Please don't kill this thread. We're enjoying it. Transfer it to the "Silly" Forum if you like. We need to have an armadillo thread as a companion to the elk thread. Please! :-h
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Harvey! :))! Your wish is my command.:h: We've never tried armadillo in this house, though who knows about what we'll try next?? Beastie has allergies and we've been eating food with protein from "novel" sources. Most recently, it's been venison. The mom's thinking, what can we try if this doesn't work? Buffalo? Kangaroo? Alligator??? Or, maybe...armadillo! :))
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Oh, thanks, Ben. I\'m just in a silly armadillo mode, and I\'m sure all of us will get over it soon enough...but we\'re having fun for the time being! And thanks for being so timely in responding! My kind of cat! =;
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Regarding raw foods...can\'t do it in Japan, can\'t get venison or elk or organ meats. For some reason, it IS possible to get kangaroo, although I\'ve never done so. Japan and Australia have a curious tie. But no armadillo in the supermarkets. Natch. No elk or venison. No beef lung. Japanese kitties are deprived. But I am happy that this very, very silly thread has been saved. Long live (? Or die?) that magnificent creature, the armadillo. :h:
    edited 1 June, 2010
    And thank you for correcting the spelling of \"armadillo.\" I\'m a still trying to figure out whether Harvard and Lowell swallowed the \"a\" and \"s\" keys...And we really don\'t want to, uh, \"go\" there... :h:
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Well, SOME humans did eat armadillo meat (at one time). My late uncle George, who grew up in Texas during the Great Depression 1929-1940, said armdillo did appear ont he table, served with sweet potatoes. In fact, many people called them "Hoover Hogs" (J.Edgar Hoover was President during the first part of the Depression). When I asked him how it tasted he said he really did not remember.....but he said when you are hungry, anything tastes good. And as for the armadillo/leporsy connection - there was a hospital in Carville, LA (upriver from New Orleans), strictly for people with leporsy. It closed for that purpose about 15-20 years ago, but a few patients sitll live there. Anyway, I remember reading that somehow armadillos were studied in the hope of finding a treatment for leporsy (I think this was the 1920's-1930's) By the 1940's the introduction of sulfond drugs helped to treat the disease. The only other hospital of this type was in Hawaii, on the island of Molakai. Also closed, but long time patients still live there. I looked it up on the Intenet and it is a beautiful area, and tours are available. And I have a question.....if you could get hold of a live armadillo, how would you "send it to the Rainbow Bridge" and then dress it? I use the word "dress" here in its usage by hunters, as how game meat is prepared for consumption. (by humans)
    edited 1 June, 2010
    ...Or, to be more specific, who swallowed which key, and, unless I have my rubber gloves on, I really don\'t want to deal with this problem....Think about that. Did Harvard swallow the \"a\" key? Did Lowell swallow the \"s\" key? Or have these keys been relocated to another area of my apartment, as has happened with my (expletitive deleted) Dyson vacuum cleaner (extremely heavy, but they--yes, YOU HARVARD and LOWELL--managed to carry to another room). Oh, I love them. Anyway. ::o
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Val: I am waiting for them to turn on the vaccum cleaner and clean your apartment. THAT would be funny.... The New Orleans Kitties
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Har...cheaper than a maid... :))