I Thought The Curtains Were Nice, Unlike You Do.

Cassidy LouvinCassidy Louvin Member Posts: 4
edited 4 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Alright, I have two cats. The kitten, Levi, seems to think my curtains are a fun, new toy for him. He attacks them terribly and holes are all through them. It\'s terrible, but, I have to have the curtains. I live on a busy road and it\'s in my bedroom, so privacy is needed. Luna could care less if they had catnip on them, but Levi is out for the kill. Help?

Comments

• Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 1 June, 2010
    A two-month old kitten (as well as even a 2-year-old kitten) is going to climb! It's what kittens do; it's how they evolved to avoid danger - climb,climb, climb! Curtains are unsuitable, of course; the obvious answer is to get him something appropriate to climb on: a cat tree is the answer. You can teach him (without much trouble, I'll bet) to climb on it instead of the curtains, especially if you put the tree in front of the window. Cats like to look out upon their world. WalMart probably has some, and a variety can be found on ebay. Make you and your kitty happy - get a cat tree!
  • Cassidy LouvinCassidy Louvin Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 June, 2010
    That's my problem, I have one. Actually, I have three. His mom realizes that's right, but he just seems like he wants those curtains a little more.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 1 June, 2010
    An apparently OT post: is your kitty free fed with dry food? My kittens go nutso if there's not food at 5:00 am, and last week I had a ten pound red tabby clinging to the curtains next to my bed. Good way to wake up. And cat breeders will tell you to resign yourself to the fact that curtains and cats don't mix. Collateral damage. And yes, kitties do get less hyperactive as they age. Good luck and purrs.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 2 June, 2010
    I gave up on curtains, I have mini blinds with the cords shortened as Maizy likes to chew on them. Even with those, Tigger has managed to break a few slats to get into the picture window. But at least you can get privacy with them and no kitty climbing! I have the thicker "fake wood" ones in my bedroom, and he cannot break those. Just a thought
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 3 June, 2010
    It's Fluff. The youngest of us is almost two, and we weigh more than 13 pounds, and we still try to climb the curtains occasionally! We also get hysterical and pull the whole thing down on the floor when we see our sworn enemy, the otherwise cute little grey cat from down the street. However, our next door neighbors, who have a cat who is older than we are, recently had their entire mini-blind ripped to pieces, on the bedroom window that faces the road. So blinds are no assurance that cats will leave them alone. And you have to be very careful with the ones that are hung on cords and have cords dangling to adjust them. Cats and small children can get caught in them and hang themselves. They will not let us put foil or cardboard over our windows here as the landlord says it makes the place look trashy. Those fold up cloth blinds have chords but they look pretty tough. Not for windows where you have plants, though, as they are very opaque. Apparently beautiful flowing curtains and cats do not mix! ;)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 3 June, 2010
    We have blinds, but Meowma ties a knot in the cord every 3 inches or so to keep kitty heads out of them; she also shortens the cords enough that we can't really reach them anyway.
  • Kori LugarKori Lugar LubbockMember Posts: 104
    edited 4 June, 2010
    I have the same problem with my 3 month old kitten!:-k