I dont know what do anymore

edited 7 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
My cat milo always eats floor off and eats stuff from the garbage. I have tried pretty much every thing spraying him with a spray bottle and coins in can to firmly saying no but it didnt work. I have tried putting the garbage in cabinet, and throwing away wrappers and leftover food. But this doesnt seem deter him from it, seems like he dosent learn. I dont know what do anymore.

Comments

• BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 June, 2010
    From what you said was Milo likes to eat off the floor..right?.....Some cats don't like their whiskers to touch the side of the bowl so a flatter bowl or dish will do. Natasha would eat from the garbage when she first got here. She was someone's cat who got lost as a kitten who had to fend for herself. She had a litter which died since she was so young and underweight, about three and half pounds. I felt bad when she would go for the garbage. She would try to knock it over. I placed it on the back porch so she couldn't get to it. Since I had another cat, she would eat side by side with him. I placed tasty food in her dish. Use tuna water to get her to go to her bowl. Patience is the name of the game. Eventually she found that there was more food in her dish. That was over fifteen years ago. She doesn't go near the garbage. The only time that she will eat off the floor is when she gets a special treat like chicken and doesn't want it touch the other food. She will take out of her dish and place it on the floor to eat. I sometimes place it in another dish. She is very particular about her food. I hope that this has been helpful.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 7 June, 2010
    First, Milo is still a baby, which means he should get fed more than a grown kitty. Anyway, you absolutely HAVE to keep the lid on the garbage secured so he can't open it, and you cannot leave food or dirty dishes out unattended, period, until he's older and not hungry 98% of the time. The food is a big enough reward that it's wortth it to get sprayed with water IF he gets caught; if he manages to get away with opening garbage or eat the disallowed things even now and then it is very, very strong reinforcement, As for eating off the floor, I don't quite get what you are talking about. If he's eating all his food, why does it matter where it is? You could get a place mat for him that can easily be picked up and washed, alternately try a bigger dish, as mentioned above.
  • Timmy_TomcatTimmy_Tomcat Plymouth Meeting 19462Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 June, 2010
    This home has had several very industrious cats over the years. Recently I was doing the knight time prey reconnaissance. Pop does not know much about me but in the months I was incognito around here I would knock over the trash can and explore the contents in the wee hours. Pop kept all the wrappers and things that smell good in a bag under the sink and put the trash can in the closet for a week. He then put it out empty. I soon lost interest. Now that I am comfortable here |^| I explore less. I will still steal a bag of treats left out overnight so pop keeps them in a jar with a lid. Wish I had thumbs.:^: I also get very upset if there is not a nighttime snack out. Pop knows I am a bit hefty so this is changing, darn, soon, darn again.:(
  • edited 7 June, 2010
    Milo does get enough food to eat and he does have a big food bowl. He eats leftover food off of plates, tries to in packages if they have been opened to eat from there. He also eats food crumbs if they have dropped on the floor. And leftover food in the garbage. I never meant his food from his bowl.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 7 June, 2010
    Have you tired hissing at him loudly and sharply? Chaucer too is a \"criminal\" and when I\'m not home he apparently gets away with murder with my DH and kids. Finally last week he was doing something that I REALLy didn\'t want him to, so I hissed and, boy, what a reaction! He took off and hid from me for about 30 minutes. Then everything was fine between us and he didn\'t go back to doing what I didn\'t want him too. The hissing worked again a couple of days later for a different, unwanted behavior. I\'ve also taught him the command \"down\" which usually works when he gets on the dining room table, but not always. Purrs, Chaucer
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 7 June, 2010
    Also, you just have to keep opened food put away and clean up spills and counters quickly. It\'s unfortunate, but that\'s what you have to do to reduce the temptation until he looses interest in these things someday. It\'s kind of like keeping candy on a low table and telling a 4 year old to leave it alone and then leaving the 4 year old with the candy. Probably not going to get 100% compliance.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 7 June, 2010
    I did not mean to imply that he wasn't getting enough cat food, just that, like teenage kids, he is always hungry. And since he's not grown, he will continue to 'experiment" with foods until he is a good bit older. By the time he's, oh 14 like me he (just kidding) will have definite tastes and won't want just anything that has the slightest chance of being food. You just can't leave unattended food, period, or he will eat it. I'm still not sure why eating crumbs off the floor is a problem, although I never do that-cat food only, here (All right, I admit to a love of the butter wrapper, but Meowma makes sure to tie them up in a plastic bag ever since I had a couple of beautiful silver poopies!)! Ringo is a crumb catcher, though.