Help! Kittens not getting along!

Kori LugarKori Lugar LubbockMember Posts: 104
edited 15 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Today I took in a rescue kitten thinking that him and Solo would get along perfectly since Solo grew up around other cats and is still a kitten himself. Well, they keep hissing at eachother and the new kitten is really scared. Is there anything I can do or will it just take time?

Comments

• Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 10 June, 2010
    This is Delyte. That's not the way to introduce a new kitten to an established cat. For one thing, you should keep the kitten separated in a small space, like a bedroom, for several days, until the kitten is used to being there with you. Of course it is terrified right now, that's a lot of changes. You should also transfer some toys or blankets between rooms, so the two cats can get used to the smell of each other. Then you should open the door and have them meet for a while, making sure that the kitten has a place to go where he feels safe and is away from the older cat. Right now they are both frightened, Solo feels there is an intruder in his home and the kitten has been taken from the shelter and put into a strange environment with a strange cat. If you are not careful, you might end up with fights and someone getting hurt. Can you put the kitten into your bedroom or bathroom alone, with a bed and food, water, his own pan, toys, etc. and let him calm down for a while? I am sure that there is a lot of information about introducing a new kitten on this site. Good luck with this, and it will take some time before you can tell whether this is going to work or not.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 11 June, 2010
    I just want to add that time is your friend here. We foster and we don't follow conventional wisdom about separating the kitties (although we think it's great advice). We've had fosters come in hissing and screaming the first day but best friends in a week. If you can't separate and do a slow introduction just keep an eye on them and let them work it out. Kittens are usually easy because they want to play with the other cat. Good luck!
  • Kori LugarKori Lugar LubbockMember Posts: 104
    edited 11 June, 2010
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. The kitten ended up hiding and feeling safe in my closet, so I put some food and water in there and he had lots of comfy clothes to sleep on. Today he ventured out and has been exlporing and seems much, much more comfortable now that he's more aware of his new surroundings. However, Solo on the other hand is quite pissed about the whole situation. He follows the kitten around and watches him, but when the kitten tries to sweetly come and say hi, he growls and hisses. Solo was raised with many other cats and kittens before I got him (which was about a month ago) and he gets along wonderfully with every dog I've ever introducd him too, so I'm surprised he's acting like this. I'm assuming that it will just take some time for him to get over it and become friends with the kitten.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 15 June, 2010
    when i brought max home, i put him in the spare bedroom with his things. i left him in there fro a few days and just set aside time every day to play with him. Then after a while i would keep him with me at night in MY bedroom. in the morning he was back in the spare room. Switching rooms like that gives the cats the chance to sniff the other cats without running into them, and also gets the 'household scent' onto them. After 2 weeks of this i opend the door to maxes room. the other cats strolled in and of course it was hissing. i let them hiss but removed them if it got to bad. after 10-15 of this i shut the door and gave them all a break. i did this for a few days. currently, all the cats roam together ( max still has his own litterbox and food in his room) they are together all day but at night max and one of the kittens who gets along with him are locked together in the bedroom to give all the cats a break from eatchother. I have introduced many foster cats this way, its worked for me everytime.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 15 June, 2010
    i should add, i dont allow any of the other cats to "stalk" the other and if they are being to nasty or harassed, but the new cat away for a while.