Strange Behavior - ideas??

Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
edited 1 September, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Shadrach is afraid of thunder storms and hides under the bed every time. Nothing strange there. However, night before last when we had a storm in the night, something REALLY spooked him. First, we have a throw rug at the doorway of the living room and hall. As throw rugs do, this one \"crawls\" and forms humps. It\'s been there for more than a year and has always \"crawled\" and has humps all the time (I get tired of straightening them out!!). Second, when DH got up yesterday morning Shadrach would NOT walk over the rug and/or go into the kitchen with DH. VERY unusual as he is ALWAYS starving to death in the morning and always beats us into the kitchen when we get up in the morning, waiting impatiently for his breakfast. Third, while he will reluctantly walk on the rug now, he walks AROUND it as much as possible, smells it endlessly, and hisses at it every time he walks by. I picked the rug up today to see if there was something under it and he sniffed and sniffed and hissed and sniffed for almost 3 minutes. Does anyone have ANY clue, idea, suggestions, etc.?? The last time he acted like this he saw a bear in our yard in the middle of the night. He wouldn\'t come out from under the bed for 2 days - not even for food. At first we didn\'t know what was wrong, but then we saw the bear poop less than 25 feet from our bedroom window! When he finally went outside (3 days after the sighting), he wouldn\'t go off the deck onto the grass. However, I doubt a bear was on the throw rug, which appears to be the center of his fears right now. THANKS!!

Comments

• Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 14 June, 2010
    Shadrach, you are such a character! :)) I giggle at your posts over in the raw forum all the time (in a good way!). ;) Since the rug crawls anyway, I wonder if maybe he was walking over it at the exact time thunder boomed, and maybe he tripped over a bump? He may have thought the rug had \"turned on him\" and was attacking since it was such a scary time? :? Silly boy. Can you try taking up the rug for a day or two until he settles down?
  • Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
    edited 15 June, 2010
    Thanks Isabelle for your comments. We are really baffled here! DH thinks it is POSSIBLE that a snake (black snake) came through the floor of the screen porch and crawled on the rug (a trip of about 20 feet from back door to rug). That BAD thing about that is that if the snake crawled IN, is it still IN, or did it crawl back out????? ::o Of course the fallacy of that is that Shadrach isn\'t afraid of the kitchen floor, which would have snake scent all over it. :? Plus, he still spends most of his time ON the screen porch (see his avatar photo). So, we are back to square one!! I think I will take your suggestion and pick the rug up - maybe put it on the deck outside to let it air out for a few days. Thanks for liking my posts! I have a diary too but often forget to post there.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 15 June, 2010
    oops posted twice accidentally
    edited 15 June, 2010
    well EEk I sure hope there is no snake! But I went through something a little like this with Maizy a few months ago. Something spooked her (I figured out it was The Dad's black junky shoes hidden way under the bed) and she would not walk into the room, and would slink around in the area. When I tried to carry her in the room, she hung on me & shook like she was terrified. After I searched on the floor where she kept staring, I removed the offenders, and slowly but surely she got back to normal. But the other day she was all wierd over a pair of flip flops I had by the door. I would try removing the rug & see what happens. Something with that rug spooked Shadrach and I guess it is detective time.
  • edited 15 June, 2010
    :-k I wonder if something got tracked in on someone\'s shoes and transferred to the rug? I think removing the rug and airing it out is probably the best idea.
  • Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
    edited 16 June, 2010
    Thanks all for the great ideas and support!! And of course, dad came in and told mom this morning that a BEAR was into the trash at the golf course (he plays there and also works a couple of days a week). That is about 1-1.5 miles from us, so..... dad thinks I might have seen a bear again. And, the idea about the scent being tracked in on shoes is a good one. The rug goes outside for a thorough airing out - I\'ll tell mom to do it NOW!!!
    edited 16 June, 2010
    hmm could it be that the shoes Dad wore might have picked up the bear scent at some point & then wlked on the rug? that would make sense then that there may be a smell that Shadrach can sense?
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 17 June, 2010
    Hey Shadrach - how's that naughty rug doing? Bear scent all gone? ;)
  • Lauren FrancisLauren Francis Member Posts: 122
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Just reading this thread now, did everything end up ok? I figured that maybe during the storm he was on the rug and a big boom of thunder came and maybe he jumped and it made the rug move so he got scared thinking somehow the rug had made the thunder noise or something to that effect. I also agree with the possibility of Dad tracking in some bear smells, who knows with these crazy cats! They have such amazing noses.