Mild Separation Anxiety??

Steven GellesSteven Gelles Bossier CityMember Posts: 16
edited 21 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
My adopter brother, George and I grew up together until George passed away last November. I am now an only child at 6 years old. After he passed, I became a new kitty becoming more affectionate and playful with my mommy and daddy. Now, I find myself a little confused or other type of feeling when I feel that I am alone in the house. I miss my folks when they have to go to work. I feel that I have thrived being the only child, but mommy and daddy are concerned and do not know if they should get another kitty to keep me company. So, are my feelings normal? Do you think that mommy and daddy shoud get me a playmate? If so, should they get me a kitten or young adul? I am six years old. Your opinions are welcomed.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 June, 2010
    I'm so sorry to hear about George! We lost my brother, Arthur, last year after almost 16 years together, so I can definitely tell you that it's normal for us to feel loss and grief. If you and George were close, you may benefit from bonding with a new feline family member. Whether a kitten or an adult cat would be better, I think would depend on your personality. If you're laid back and patient, or if you're still young at heart and could keep up with a kitten's energy, then you might do well with a kitten. If you're unlikely to put up with a little one's antagonism, then an adult cat who gets along well with other cats might be ideal. Being an only cat can be a wonderful thing, too. Many kitties do great when having the house, and the parents, all to themselves. Only your parents know you well enough to decide if you're ready and need new feline companionship, or if you're still grieving for George but ultimately happy with your "only" status. Either way, I hope it works out for the best for you, Gracie! Keep us posted! |:|
  • Steven GellesSteven Gelles Bossier CityMember Posts: 16
    edited 21 June, 2010
    I had my Daddy look up Feline Separation Anxiety on the web. After reviewing the signs ans symptoms, he decided that I did not have the condition. As for getting me a little buddy, I think that I wish to wait a little longer. Thanks to all.