\'Slow\' Kitten?Brain Damage?

Nicolette BeachNicolette Beach PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 20
edited 30 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Hi! I've been fostering kittens and cat for a local rescue since July 2008 and have three of my own(failed fosters!) so I'm pretty experienced with normal and abnormal kitten behaviour. Currently, I have 4 fosters. Two are brothers, Seeley and Sully. Seeley is the picture of kittenhood. He's big for his age(about 14-16 weeks and almost 4 pounds),very very playful, loud purrer, social, etc etc. Sully, on the other hand is extremely small(between 1.5 and 2 pounds). He came to me as a bit shy but relatively normal. Now, he is very serious, doesn't play with the other cats, mostly just lays around watching the others, and doesn't purr often. He often looks distant or 'not there'. About 3 weeks ago, he came down with a severe infection literally overnight. His bottom jaw was swollen, he was lethargic, and very dehydrated. I took him into to the rescue, where they kept him overnight to give fluids and antibiotics. They told me it was calici, although to me, it looked nothing like calici. When I picked him up the next morning, he was rambunctious and completely healed. He was purring a mile a minute, was very vocal, and wanted me to hold him 24/7. A day later, he got into my air duct and fell a good 13 feet down the duct. When we got him out after 40 minutes, he was back to being aloof and distant. I thought he might have been traumatized but he never returned to the loving behaviour. On top of that, last week he had another bout of lethargy/dehydration. I gave him Sub-q fluids and the next morning he was right as rain(just not affectionate at all). The point of all this rambling is, has anyone else seen anything like this? I feel like whatever the first infection was may have caused brain damage. The fact that his brother is huge while Sully's growth appears delayed also suggests to me a genetic disorder or brain damage. He will be seeing a vet again for shots and I'm going to ask about his history, but I just wanted to see what your opinions were on this! -nicolette

Comments

• Valerie McMullenValerie McMullen PhoenixMember Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 June, 2010
    We hope someone with knowledge and experience will post but in the meantime, we are sending some purrs and prayers that all is well with little Sully. Bless you for all of your foster work helping these little ones out. I know it must be difficult at times. Sending our love... Hugs and purrs, Simon & Reuben(an angel) |:||:||:||:|
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 26 June, 2010
    Sorry to hear about Sully's difficulty gaining weight, lethargy, and other health issues. My kitty Leo has a neurological condition that affects the messages from his brain to the nerves in his limbs which can cause him to have very slow reflexes. When he was very ill from this condition, he was unable to stand or walk. When he first started showing symptoms, I took him to the ER, then my regular vet, and then a third vet (he rapidly declined over a 5 day period). I *knew* something was wrong but the ER vet thought it was just a little muscle sprain. The other two vets thought is was a horrible disease like FIP or toxoplasmosis. On the 5th day, I took Leo to a veterinary neurologist. He did all kinds of tests that I had never seen before, looking at Leo's reflexes in all limbs with special tools. He also put Leo under anesthesia and did more tests. He was able to pinpoint and diagnosis Leo's exact condition, when none of the other vets could. With the help from the neurologist, Leo is now 98% recovered and doing very well! All this to say, trust your instinct, something is definitely going on with Sully. If there is a veterinary neurologist in your area, I would definitely go there for a consult, at least to ease your mind (and get another vet opinion). Keep us updated!
  • Nicolette BeachNicolette Beach PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 20
    edited 26 June, 2010
    Thanks for all the well wishes! :) What did Leo end up having, if I may ask? I just feel so bad for Sully because he's so behind the other kittens here. He does like to snuggle with other cats but they either try to play and rough house(the other kittens) or hiss and run away(my adult residents). And then when I pick him up to comfort him, he just doesn't respond at all. I'll keep everyone updated!
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 27 June, 2010
    Leo has an immune-mediated condition called Peripheral Neuropathy. It can occur in cats with diabetes or thyroid problems. Leo was a seemingly healthy 5 month old when he first showed symptoms; the neurologist believes his condition was caused by vaccinations- too much stress on his immune system. It doesn't sound like Sully has what Leo has but, in my opinion, a neurologist or a specialized vet is more likely to get to the bottom of what's going on. Keep us updated!
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 28 June, 2010
    I would like to quote what you wrote: When I picked him up the next morning, he was rambunctious and completely healed. He was purring a mile a minute, was very vocal, and wanted me to hold him 24/7. A day later, he got into my air duct and fell a good 13 feet down the duct. When we got him out after 40 minutes, he was back to being aloof and distant. How long ago was this? Maybe it is just a matter of time and lots of love and attention and once again he will be back to being a sweet kitty. Lots and lots of purrs Wally |/a/||/a/|
  • Nicolette BeachNicolette Beach PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 20
    edited 30 June, 2010
    That was at least 3 weeks ago :(