Young Kitten Peeing on Bed?

Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
edited 10 July, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Well, I have had Maddox for a week now. He was doing very well and getting nice and settled in. He has been using his litter box consistently and has had no problems. Until a few days ago, I had him confined to a spare bathroom, but recently bought a second litter box and put in my closet in my bedroom. All of his things (toys, food/water, bed, etc) are in the walk-in closet (it is a HUGE closet) and that is where he is currently being confined when I am not home to watch him. Up to this point, I have also been keeping him confined at night when I sleep, for fear that he might "forget" where is litter box is or something. So he was kept in the closet last night. I got up and fed him this morning, and when he came out of the closet he apparently jumped up on the bed and peed, because 5 minutes later I came back in and there was a big wet spot on the bed. So I washed the sheets and cleaned everything (he actually peed on the fitted sheet at the bottom, not on the comforter) and hoped it was just a fluke accident. Well, I was just taking a nap and decided to let him stay out of the closet (I have done this multiple times; I take small naps generally around this time of day and he usually naps on the pillow beside me) and as usual he hopped up and napped with me. A little while later I felt him start to move and he walked down to the middle of the bed and peed again, this time on top of the comforter in a different part of the bed than last time. So this is the second time today. Now, my boyfriend is here visiting me and this is the first time that the kitten has been around him, but he held and cuddled with the kitten yesterday, and Maddox fell asleep in his lap watching television last night, so he seems pretty comfortable with him. Anyway, I guess I am just wondering what I should do. This cannot become a habit! I want him to have full access to the house, to be able to sleep in the bed if he wants, but if he keeps this up he is going to have to be confined and kept out of the bedroom. Any suggestions? He is only 9 weeks old.

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 June, 2010
    I'd check with your vet. Inappropriate urination is often caused by a physical problem, like a UTI.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 28 June, 2010
    Also, check the page on catinfo.org about litter boxes and inappropriate peeing. All the reasons in one place. Good luck!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 29 June, 2010
    Figure out how often he pees, and then you can sort of time how long he can be out; keep an eye on him and you know once he goes you are good for a couple of hours-put him on the bed with you right after he goes, and let him stay awhile, then instead of putting him in the closet, let him explore the rest of your house with the bedroom door closed. If you don't have more than one box, get one or even two. He may be afraid to go back in the closet to pee lest you lock him in there. While he's this little, I don't know, but suspect that leaving him out most of the time, but setting him in the box for petting every hour or two may help--and don't lock him in when you do this! Also, do read the litter box issue pages here. I also recommend getting some Dr Elsey's kitten litter if only for the 'litter issues' tips included in every bag; they are very good.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 29 June, 2010
    As Ben recommended, definitely have him checked out by the vet. You want to rule out a physical/health issue first.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 June, 2010
    I would definitely rule out any medical issue that might be going on. Quite often owners blame their cats for peeing on bed for something that may be out of their control. The cat won't pee in the usual place because they blame that place for the pain of peeing. Once, you have checked that out. I would think about your changes that you have done. I do use Dr. Elsey's cat litter as there is no dust in it. They also sell Dr. Elsey's attract to litter in smaller containers to get the cats back to their litter box. For every cat, you need one litter box extra. I have three boxes here. Some cats like to pee in one and poop in another...I remove the pee/poop twice a day. They also need their food located away from their litter too...Hope things resolve soon...Clean the litter up well or the cat will go there again.....
  • Walter AbingtonWalter Abington Member Posts: 3
    edited 29 June, 2010
    Sometimes cats are like dogs and pee when they are excited or happy. Your cat may also be telling you he does not like to be separated from the rest of the house when you are not home. I had a cat that threw a fit if I put him in another room, even with a litter box. He would claw the furniture, curtains, flooring. It stopped when I let him roam the house on his own. You may want to put a litter box in the room where you sleep with the cat and see if he will use that box instead of the bed? Check with your vet too like others have suggested.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 29 June, 2010
    The thing is I live in a teeny apartment, so there isn't really room in my bedroom to put the litter box. I have a huge closet though, so the litter box is in there, but it is attached to my bedroom so it is RIGHT there. I have decided to let him roam around in my room while I am away. I had an old vinyl tablecloth that wasn't being used so I put that over my bed to keep him from peeing on it while I am away. I can't let him roam the rest of the house. The apartment furnishes leather sofas and if he chewed or scratched those up, I would have to replace them and that is NOT going to be possible lol so he is going to have to stay in the bedroom when I am away. Hopefully the tablecloth will deter him from peeing on it. I just thought it was the oddest thing that he peed in the bed while I was in it!
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 29 June, 2010
    There seem to be many good answers here about physical problems for the kitten etc......look into them.......but all I can tell you is that we once got a 12 week old kitten who pooed on the bed (right in the middle)....!!! She had been taken back to the shelter because of this, but we took her and she did it to us a few times, but, as she became happy in her new home, she stopped and never did it again..... don\'t know if this is helpful or not...... Jan
    edited 30 June, 2010
    Oh, I agree with Tambolina that this could also be a stress issue due to being new, and he may also be a little lonely. I peed on Meowma inb the bed a couple of times right after she got me, and I was 10 years old already; incidentally at the time I was confined to the Cat Jail to integrate me into the house. Meowma wonders if I was peeing so she wouldn't forget about me while I was in lockdown!
  • Kyla DowlerKyla Dowler Member Posts: 41
    edited 30 June, 2010
    Misu is having this issue too. I highly doubt it is a UTI or litterbox issue because he does use his box, it just seems like beds are a more alluring place to pee. So far we've just kept the bedroom doors closed.
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Ok so the peeing on the bed started the weekend before last while my boyfriend was visiting. The first time it happened, I was in the kitchen and he had JUST gotten out of bed when Maddox jumped on the bed to pee. The second time (later the same day) we were lying in bed taking a nap and Maddox was asleep on the pillow. I felt him get up, walk to the middle of the bed, and start scratching around. The bf left the next day. Fastforward to yesterday, a week and a half later. No accidents on the bed for a week and a half (though I do think he peed on my dogs bed). The boyfriend came to visit again on Monday. Maddox has been sleeping out in the room with us fine, no peeing problems. I got up yesterday morning and got ready for work, fed Maddox, then left him in the room with bf when I left. I got a call about 10 minutes later from a very angry boyfriend. Maddox had jumped in the bed after I left and peed right in the middle, getting bf's shorts in the process. This morning AS I was getting ready for work, Maddox hopped in the bed and started scratching around. BF grabbed him and said "NO" and put him down in the floor and Maddox immediately RAN to his litterbox and peed. What in the world is going on?
    edited 9 July, 2010
    He's little--when you get up you will just have to take him out of the bed, and put him in the closet until he pees; don't leave him on the bed unsupervised. Remember, the bed is soft and he can scratch around to make little "holes" on the sheet, so it probably seems like an ok place to pee. Don't give up, it sounds like he's doing better. And good for you catching him before he does it; maybe when he gets up and starts walking around the bed you cam just pick him up and put him in the box, to avoid yelling, then put him back on the bed and pet him after he uses the box. I know I'm going to get a lot of disagreement, but I have always thought boy dogs are WAAAAY harder to housebreak than girls; maybe that's true of litter training too.
    edited 9 July, 2010
    The weired thing is Boo, he would rather sleep in his cat bed than in my bed. He is allowed in my bed at night if he wants, but his cat bed is right beside mine and he goes in it and gets in bed and that is where he sleeps. When the peeing happens, he just goes and jumps in the bed and pees. But, the first time it happened, my boyfriend was visiting with his big dog. Then it didn't happen again for a week and a half, then my boyfriend came back and he was fine for 2 days. Then, my mom and little brother and sister came to visit for a couple days and the peeing in the bed started again. Mom and the kids left yesterday, and he hasn't even tried to pee in the bed today. What I am getting at is I am thinking that it may be stress related, or maybe that he is trying to tell me that he is uncomfortable or stressed out.
    edited 10 July, 2010
    I think you are right--I didn't know or overlooked your Mom visiting also, and the dog and so forth. I guess when you have lots of activity you will just have to watch him extra carefully and hope he outgrows it. Actually, when I very first came here, I peed on Meowma in the bed :r and ruined my nice cat bed peeing on it. But I never pee in the wrong place now. Ringo on the other hand has always peed in the box but if there is too much activity he will spray a little, usually in the back bedroom where he hides to stay away from `extra people. He is fixed, and it doesn't smell like Tom, and only little amounts, but Meowma is still glad she has installed the new floor where it can be seen and cleaned up in a hurry. And as he's gotten used to people that come here often, he doesn't do it unless someone has to come in to work on the house or something.