Need info: Grains bad for bladder kitties

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 5 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I am looking for any studies/websites that say grains/carbohydrates are bad for kitties with bladder issues. Does anyone know of any? Thanks. Mommy is putting together a comprehensive handout for bladder kitties at work, and wanted to cite a few references/studies or websites that talk about feeding grain free for bladder kitties (as well as to help convince daddy that it's better).

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 5 July, 2010
    Hi Munchie, it's me again! I don't have any specific websites for you but I do know that grains put stress on all the organs, not just the intestines. Grains turn to sugar, sugar turns to fat. Fat has to be processed through the liver which makes it work harder and sugar needs to go through the pancreas which can cause diabetes, hypothyroidism, pancreatitis, etc. Now all of those things will affect all the other organs around it. Because no one organ works by itself Munchie. When the pancreas works harder, so does the liver and kidneys because they are next to each other. Then when the kidneys overwork it makes the bladder overwork trying to get rid of the extra filtered junk the kidneys are trying to get rid of and this all causes acid reflux which then affects the GI tract. Do you see where I'm going with this? It's all a chain reaction. The very worst of the grains is corn as corn is mostly all sugar. Even humans can't process that much corn and to feed it to a kitty every single day is almost barbaric! Talk about overworking your organs! If I find anything on the web in the next couple of days I'll be sure and let you know. Good for your mom for sticking to her guns! =;
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 5 July, 2010
    Here is a great link to a study done on just that I will send more when I can find them. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14974568?dopt=Abstract Click here