Kitten food?

ashley deckerashley decker Member Posts: 96
edited 14 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I've been looking into kitten foods for shyloh and sofee, right now they are on wellness kitten dry which i refill their bowl in the morning before i go to work because i worry they'll be hungry during the day. And they get a small can in the morning and evening. Am i feeding them ok? they seem to be doing well on this routine so far. Also how is wellness food? Recommendations for anything else?

Comments

• Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Wellness is a great food, but I don't recommend feeding dry as a significant portion of their diet. Maddox has a handful of dry food left out for him at all times because like you I am gone from home during the day, but he barely touches it most of the time and gets all the wet food he wants when I am home. It is really just there for him to snack on, and doesn't comprise a great deal of his actual food intake. Sounds like you are doing good though!
  • ashley deckerashley decker Member Posts: 96
    edited 9 July, 2010
    the majority of what they eat is the canned food, the dry is available incase they get hungry while I'm gone.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 10 July, 2010
    Hi cute kittens! Wellness is a good food. If you are interested in trying something else, I used to feed Shade & Smudge EVO Cat& Kitten and 95% varieties and NV Instincts when they were kittens. Both are grain free and all life stages foods. Just make sure that what you feed is either a kitten formula or all life stages and not \"adult maintenance\". Also, wet food is superior to kibble. Have you read catinfo.org? Purrs, Shade
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Wellness is a great food. I eat several different types of canned food (wellness, blue buffalo,Avoderm, I eat just canned food as it's healthier for cats to find out why read this site: Clicky: Cat Info . If you go to the wellness site, you can sign up for the Well Pet Club and they send you coupons at the beginning of each month, which is pretty cool :)
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 14 July, 2010
    You girls are so cute!! Anyway, I too fed Hunter wellness kitten formula. After about 2 weeks he wouldn't eat it anymore. I was new to the "wet food world" and found it hard to find a grain free wet kitten food. So I talked to my vet. He said that in the wild there aren't any mice labeled "for kittens" which made me laugh and completely made sense. He also said that as long as I feed him small meals throughout the day, I should be fine! So I believe Hunter was 3 months when I switched him to Wellness Grain-free adult formulas. Haven't had a problem. I too feed him dry, but I feed him Wellness Core. which is formulated for all life stages. He loves it, but only over night incase he gets hungry. ;) Hunter is one well feed healthy boy! He's 6 months old and bigger than the dog!! :)) Good Luck!