Cat Carrier Help

Christine KChristine K Member Posts: 44
edited 14 July, 2010 in Cats & Travel
Hi guys, New to this forum! My furbaby will be coming home in two weeks, and I was wondering what hard crates or soft crates you recommend for the flight? I haven't decided yet whether I'll be flying with him or not, though I'm going to have to decide soon! He's a 3 month old maine coon so I was looking for a larger carrier to use as he gets older. Looking at a price under $80. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July, 2010
    We have a PetGear "I-GO2 Traveler" carrier. It's not huge, but it's great for traveling. It has a pop-up handle and wheels so you can roll it behind you, shoulder straps so you can wear it as a backpack, a strap to carry it over one shoulder and a handle for you to carry with your hand. It's good for the car, too, because it has loops that you can put a seatbelt through. It even comes in cool colors! =; Amazon has models that can carry up to 20 pounds for $59.99: http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Traveler-Backpack-20-pounds/dp/B0015MFZNE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1278824092&sr=1-11 Up to 25 lbs, if you think Leo might grow that big, for $75.99: http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Traveler-Backpack-25-pounds/dp/B002AMYWDW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1278824092&sr=1-6
  • Christine KChristine K Member Posts: 44
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Oh I took a look at those! They look too big (with the wheels and all) to put under a plane seat, but I was considering getting one for car outings. :)
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July, 2010
    We haven't tried it on a plane yet, but I think it would probably fit ok if you lay it so that the mesh flap that's in front when it's upright is more on top. :-k Does anycat else have one of these who's tried it? :-h
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Are you flying with him? If not, check with the airline before purchasing a carrier as they have certain restrictions if the animal is flying alone (type of carrier, size, temperature on the tarmac, etc......)
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 11 July, 2010
    I highly recommend you do not ship him by himself, they will put him in the cargo hold, and Bella is right, there are only certain kinds of hard carriers you can ship him in, the airline can tell you. With him being put n the cargo hold, and the high temps this time of year, plus, the temp on the tarmac, plus the risk of the plane sitting for hours, due to some delay, and passengers/baggage not being allowed to deplane. You have to put shredded newspapers in the carrier, you cannot put a cat box in there, and you have to tape a baggie with his food on top of the carrier, in case he gets delayed, water, I forget now what they do. I just would not take a chance, with the high temps, and all that can go wrong, and all the delays. If you fly with him, the airline also has carrier restrictions that they can advise you about. He has to be able to fit under your seat. Not sure how far you have to go to get him, but I would just drive and go get him. Best of luck, with whatever you decide to do, he is so cute!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 11 July, 2010
    We have an "original" Sherpa carrier, but I only use it to take the cats to the vet or when Gimli has a cat show. There are even some Sherpa carriers made specifically for traveling on Delta and American Airlines. Sherpa Pet
  • Christine KChristine K Member Posts: 44
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Bumpurr, thank you! He's my cute baby. I wish I could drive down to pick him up, but I can't take the 3-4 days off work that it would require (counting the weekend). My only option is to either fly out to pick him up or have him shipped out to me. And I did take a look at the sherpa carriers. Was considering the delta one. :)
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 11 July, 2010
    We have a large red Sturdi bag and a tan Sturdi tote. A large or extra large Sturdi bag should accommodate a large cat. They might be a little more than you are looking to spend, but they are great quality and the large is currently on sale in bone. We are very happy with ours. http://www.sturdiproducts.com/4111/xcart/home.php
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 11 July, 2010
    I used to fly with my bridge baby Felix all the time. Just make sure you get a hard, plastic/resin carrier that fits under the seat. It was a Kennel Cab. And they're wonderful, sturdy carriers. I will say that I ONLY flew with Felix if he could be underseat. I refused to put him in cargo. And he flew so often that he should have had frequent flyer miles. :)):)) Do check with the airline first. Get the space requirements. His carrier also had a little tray that attached inside for some food and water. I also recommend to take a big bottle of water just for the cat, and to take some food with you in your carry-on, just in case you get delayed. The hard carrier literally saved Felix's little life when we were in a near crash. (They took the flight up in the middle of a thunderstorm and the plane dropped 12,000 feet in about ten seconds.) And taking food and water helped us in an eight-hour delay. Also, to keep the kitty calm, try spraying the carrier with Feliway. And make sure you put something in with him/her from wherever he's coming. Either a toy or a towel -- anything with a familiar scent form where he came from. Good luck and concatulations! Purrs, Coop's mom
  • Penny McCaffreyPenny McCaffrey HolmesMember Posts: 25
    edited 12 July, 2010
    I've used a Sherpa bag for both a toy dog (traveled under airline seat) and to transport cats to the vet. It is well made, easy to clean and has plenty of ventilation. Not inexpensive, but mine has lasted a long time. =D>
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 14 July, 2010
    My vet once had my humans give me some children's liquid benydryl for car rides when I was around. It helped keep me calm. Now, I would DEFFINATLY talk with the vet if they suggest this or not and if they do what the amounts are. But if they say its OK it might be something to bring in case your kitty decides to howel for the whole plane trip. Felliway is also a must. Also bring some baby wipes so if he goes potty you can wipe up the mess inside the carrier. (these can go down the toilet in the bathroom). If you can afford it get first class as they have a bigger space under the seat. If you cant- then you want the first row into economy class- because there is more feet room between you and the bulkhead. This way you can check on your lil guy easier.