Changing food from Nutro! HELP!!

Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
edited 16 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Ok guys I need some help. Ok when we found Tigger two years ago we decided we were being good samaritans and went to the dollar store where they had "Meow Mix" and bought that for him. He LOVES it. But after we decided to keep him and my knowledge grew I found out Meow Mix is pure crap. But when I tried to switch his food he went on a hunger strike. So I got Felidae he refused to eat it. Then one day I went to the pet store and a sales rep was there giving out samples of Nutro (this was about a year ago) and they said even picky cats like it, The Max Cat Rosted Chicken. And thed give me a free small bag. He wouldnt eat it alone but then I mixed it with the meow mix and he eats it. But I buy the HUGE bags and put them in air tight canistars to hold them. That was about 5 months ago. Now hes getting low and and now I have a second cat Emma who right now is eating what the rescue was feeding her Iams Kitten food. But now I've been reading the Nutro has been recalled and kitties are dying from it. EEEKK Scarry! So My question is what is a good brand of cat food. I dont mind the price. Money is no matter in my babies health and happiness. But mommy gets queezy with the thought of raw so I need help with good brands of adult and kitten food for momma to get for us. Thanks in advance guys! Your the best! :-h

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 14 July, 2010
    Hey there! I have a huge list of grain-free, much better foods on my website: http://ibdkitties.net/Food.html. If you don't mind paying extra I very much recommend some of these; Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Merrick, Wellness, Weruva, Evo, there are a lot more but you get the picture. These are all really good foods and I've also listed each website for them so you can check their ingredients! Good for you for wanting to feed them well and keep them healthy! You're a great parent. =;
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 14 July, 2010
    The best thing you could do for both of them is get them off dry food and on canned. There are some great grain-free canned foods out there and some great tips for switching them over. Take a look at catinfo.org and ibdkitties.net for information on how to get them switched to canned food. They'll both be so much healthier in the long run. Good luck!
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 14 July, 2010
    Thanks so much Alex. But which do you think is THE BEST and tastiest for the fur kids? I'll look through them thanks again! I did natural Balance with my dogs and they all got very sick Im not going to risk that again! BK my kitten Emma LOVES canned but my cat Tigger is not a normal cat. He doesnt like toys, catnip, cat treats or canned food. Hes a typical man he wants some outdoors time some loving and good simple food. My husband says he LOVES him and wishes our other pets were more like him...cheap and easy to please MOL!! :))! Im also afraid that my Tigger wont take to a new food. Should I continue to mix it with Meow Mix? Or what are good tasty healthy foods for a picky cat?
    edited 14 July, 2010
    Thanks so much Alex. But which do you think is THE BEST and tastiest for the fur kids? I'll look through them thanks again! I did natural Balance with my dogs and they all got very sick Im not going to risk that again! BK my kitten Emma LOVES canned but my cat Tigger is not a normal cat. He doesnt like toys, catnip, cat treats or canned food. Hes a typical man he wants some outdoors time some loving and good simple food. My husband says he LOVES him and wishes our other pets were more like him...cheap and easy to please MOL!! :))! Im also afraid that my Tigger wont take to a new food. Should I continue to mix it with Meow Mix? Or what are good tasty healthy foods for a picky cat?
    edited 14 July, 2010
    edited 14 July, 2010
    Hi Tigger, in my opinion Nature's Variety is one of the best because they have high quality, high protein canned foods. Their rabbit is a very, very good high protein, low carb food and has lots of moisture in the can. Always feed more than one protein source if you can. What I would do is buy one can of each flavor, they have quite a few. Then in between feeding the Meow Mix, start them off with a quarter of a can to see if they like it. Never just stop their regular food because it will be too much of a shock and they may rebel and reject the new food. So if you could say give them their regular Mix food in the morning, then when you get home from work (if you work) try a can of rabbit, lamb or duck. Then again at night give the Mix before bedtime. Here's my page on how to switch foods. http://ibdkitties.net/switchingfoods.html. Also, once you get them on Nature's Variety, what I do with Finn and Lacey is give them a can of Weruva fish once in awhile, maybe a couple of times a week as a treat. I always rotate protein sources and even different brands of food. But NV is definitely one they are always on. I hope this helps! Let me know if they don't like it, I'll suggest something else. There's plenty to choose from out there now. Much better than it used to be. Just make sure to stay away from any grains, gluten, sugars, etc.
    edited 15 July, 2010
    WOAH! Sorry about the triple post I just realized it! I have always free fed and they do fine. I KNOW Tigger wont eat canned. If I get the canned with the meat pieces in the gravy he licks the grav and leaves the "meat" pieces. If its the loaf he wont eat it at all!
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 15 July, 2010
    I won\'t eat wet food either! Mommie has recently switched our dry food, after doing several trials of different kinds, to Blue Spa Select Chicken flavor. She gets it at Petco. It is a little extra cost, but we all seem to like it, and as an added benefit it has L-lysine in it which helps kittie\'s immune systems. Mommie has noticed that my sisfur Bella, who has mild kittie asthma, has had a lot fewer spells of coughing since we started using it!!~a~
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 15 July, 2010
    :-h Hi Tigger! I am not really wild about wet food either. Mom has been experimenting with Wellness flavors and I do like what she calls the stinkier ones.So that would mean fish. There is one called Sardine,shrimp & crab that I actually eat. Someone suggested your mom should get a can of each. In the end it is a matter of taste and everyone is different. By the way my baby bro, Ollie thinks your baby sister Emma is gorgeous! Orange smooches Milo
    edited 15 July, 2010
    :)) Seems your keyboard had a huge hiccup. Okay, I'm not someone who says eat canned or nothing at all. I agree that dry is not the best food at all but our cats dictate to us what they want and they are the most stubborn creatures on this earth! The important thing is to give them at least the best quality food that they'll eat and make sure they are eating the amount of calories they should have. You just cannot switch every cat to what you want them to eat unfortunately! So going with that then, I would first of all still either stay with Nature's Variety dry (make sure it's the Instincts Gran Free) or there's Merrick Before Grain which my nephew and neice kitty eat and it's a really good brand. And Evo is great too. You could rotate all three actually, there's no reason to stick with just one. I would invest in a good timed feeder instead of free feeding: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000241NRI/ref=oss_product.
    edited 16 July, 2010
    I was looking into Wellness Core it looks like the BEST quality food out there and maybe keep buying the meow mix and mix a tiny bit in just so he'll eat it, maybe slowly fasing it out? What do you think? I know EXACTALLY what you mean by "stinkier" foods. Yeah the fish ones are extra stinky...meaning extra yummy for them to eat and then give little stinky kisses. LOL Ollie she thinks your quite cute too! If Tigger could talk he'd tell you, You can have her if you want. LOL Tigger gets frustrated with her because hes very very mellow and quite the couch potato and she is off her rocker NUTS! Thanks everyone for your suggestions trust me they are all being looked into. Whats everyone opinion on Wellness Core?
    edited 16 July, 2010
    I was looking into Wellness Core it looks like the BEST quality food out there and maybe keep buying the meow mix and mix a tiny bit in just so he'll eat it, maybe slowly fasing it out? What do you think? I know EXACTALLY what you mean by "stinkier" foods. Yeah the fish ones are extra stinky...meaning extra yummy for them to eat and then give little stinky kisses. LOL Ollie she thinks your quite cute too! If Tigger could talk he'd tell you, You can have her if you want. LOL Tigger gets frustrated with her because hes very very mellow and quite the couch potato and she is off her rocker NUTS! Thanks everyone for your suggestions trust me they are all being looked into. Whats everyone opinion on Wellness Core?
    edited 16 July, 2010