Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Switching foods.

Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
edited 16 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
So my meowmie has been learning alot with everyone's posts lately. She has ALWAYS been determined to give us the best food she could afford. She NEVER let us have any "cruddy food" from the grocery stores. But it turns out the whole time shes been feeding us bad stuff and not knowing any better! I started out on Science Diet kitten food, becuase meowmie worked at a pet shop and that was the best they had. Then Nutro came in the pet shop (this was way before the recalls mind you) and we used that kitten food. Then we went to live with Jmatt and Whispers and the doctor wanted whispers on Science diet hairball control light. So we both got put on that after I was 1. I have been on that since, and so has misty. Heres the thing thats bothered Meowmie. Misty is a kitten still. Maybe a 1.5 to 2 years. And she weighed over 9 pounds at the vet visit a few months ago. She may weigh more now. The vet was concerned a bit, but just inisisted we stay on the sciece diet light and no extra wet food (gasp!) or treats. That hasnt really done any good. Meowmie started giving us wet food again since she heard it was good for us, especially with the hot summer weather to give us some more moisture. But we had a HUGE container of the Science diet so we had to use that up. Its given her time to find a suitable, affordable replacement and try to talk the other furless ones into the change. The other furless ones dont think theres a problem with Misty but after reading some of the things on Alex's site meowmie is concerned that if she stays on this food it could really be harmful. Its not like we eat a lot of food, we just snack a little a few times a day. I am on the other hand the same weight as a year ago and the vet was very impressed with that. So heres the thing- we like to snack too much to go to a strictly wet diet, plus a wet only diet is a lil expensive on our budget. So we have been considering good dry foods we can get in a 12-20 lb bag. The one that meowmie is thinking of is Blue Spa Select formulas Specifically Blue Buffalo Spa Select Chicken & Brown Rice Adult Formula Cat Food because she can get it in the store nearby. Then she plans to supplement that with wet food at least 3 times a week if not daily. Is it ok to mix the flavors of the dry food, or is it best to stay with just one kind? Is this a good choice for the dry food? Do other kitties like it or is there a different flavor thats better? It looks like we will have to pick up one more bag of the science diet because we are very low on it and we have to go stay at the pet hotel for almost a week. They don't want to start switching us till after we are home again. Anyways, sorry for the long post. We just want to make sure we make the right choice this time for the food. Meowmie is kicking herself because I am 4 years old and shes been feeding me crud food and not realizing it :(

Comments

• BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Hi, Anna Belle! First of all, tell your mom to give herself a break. You do better when you know better. No use worrying about something, or kicking yourself over something, that you didn\'t know was a problem. Now - as to what to do going forward. I would really like to strongly encourage you to completely eliminate dry food from your feeding regimen. It has been discussed here ad nauseum many times before, but bottom line, any kind of dry food, including grain free, is species inappropriate for cats. I understand that premium canned food can be expensive, but consider this: Feeding a premium canned food as opposed to dry food, even \"premium\" dry foods (an oxymoron as far as I am concerned) is going to result in a healthier cat, and that will not only keep your much-loved cats with you LONGER, but will reduce or eliminate your vet expenses (partner to this is a well-considered and prudent vaccination schedule, but that\'s for a different forum). Additionally, though there are very few commercial food companies I would endorse without reservation (the Natura Foods sellout to Proctor and Gamble was yet another crushing blow to my confidence in the pet food industry as a whole), the fact is that most of them would be far superior to what you have been feeding, and some of them, such as Eagle Pack Holistic Selects and Wellness, come in larger 13 ounce cans, which is a more economical way to buy canned food. You might also consider a raw diet. Nine months ago, I switched my two adult cats, Olivia and Tanner, from a diet of 50% premium canned food and 50% premade raw, to a diet of 100% \"home prepared\" raw and I have saved a considerable amount, even with adding a growing and very hungry kitten to the family! So if you are open to that, though it does take a little bit of research and planning, it can be a more economical way to go than canned food. Additionally, and this is the reason why I switched, not the cost, that was just a fringe benefit, it is IMO the best and most species-appropriate way to feed a companion obligate carnivore. If this is something you are open to, check out the raw feeding forum one forum down from this one. We will help you all we can.
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 15 July, 2010
    I would be proud of myself if I were you! It seems like common sense to follow what our vets tell us to feed our pets. I found out how terrible Hill's science diet and prescription food was AFTER my poor lil doggy died :( Your cats are still young and it is better late than never. I only have one cat but I understand how expensive feeding them is. I do 2/3 wet food and 1/3 dry food in a 24 hour period. Wet in the morning and before bed and dry food for snacking during the day and night. I found this to be the most affordable for me while still giving a good amount of wet food. Chicken Soup is a great brand and very cheap compared to other premium food. You can get a big bag of that for way cheaper than what you paid for science diet. Then you can get large cans of wet food as the other poster mentionned, but consider ordering online like at amazon.com, they have amazing deals for 12 or 24 large cans. You should calculate what you pay now and see how much you would be spending on new food and see if you can add the wet everyday. You would be going through dry food way slower and they will be hungry less because they are eating food with actual meat and not just fillers. Keep us posted and good luck with the transition!
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Oh and I forgot to add, here is a site to help you compare prices and ratings on different dry foods. http://www.petfoodratings.net/cats.html
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Well....we measured out how much of the science diet we had left and decided to go ahead and replace the food today because we have enough to do it without buying more science diet. Meowmie REALLY didnt want to buy another bag of that! Dont worry, we have enough to switch it ...although it looks like we are picking out the new bits first |/h/| . Both Misty and I sniffed and rubbed on the new bag- before it was even open. Meowmie is also committed to giving us more wet food, even if we don't go to a strict wet diet. We like to much at various times of the day so dry will always be offered. Although the wet food we have stocked up right now is the Fancy Feast® Elegant Medleys because that's the kind of consistency we like. Meowmie picked up a couple cans of the Blue canned food but its a pate type - and I am just not sure if I like that :-k Now Misty tried it and ate some, but even shes unsure. We just got two Teaspoons of it each to try. Whats a good, and affordable, wet food that has the consistency of the Fancy Feast® Elegant Medleys ? Oh! This is the formula we decided to go with for the dry food: http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats/healthy-living-chicken.shtml
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Actually the food is Blue Buffalo Spa Select Chicken & Brown Rice Adult Formula Cat Food and the link is http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750081&lmdn=Brand - Silly AnnaBelle chose the wrong link.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 15 July, 2010
    AnnaBelle, We have been switching our dry food to Blue Spa Select Chicken also! I am a furry picky eater. I refuse to eat wet food and Mommie has tried several different kinds of dry food. I seem to like this best. An added benefit is that it has L-lysine in it, which helps boost a kittie's immune system! Read my sisfur Bella's diary if you want to hear what Mommie thinks is happening as a result of us getting the new food!!!
    edited 16 July, 2010
    We are going to be getting at least one meal a day of wet food for now and then work our way up from there as money and as we cats allow ( we have to eat it first!). Meowmie put the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge from today\'s experiment. She put the Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck pate and mixed it into the Fancy feast that we will eat. Whats a good way to warm up the canned food so it can be room temp for us to eat it? The only thing Meowmie and I can think of would be to run warm water over the sealed container like she did when she was watching a friend\'s baby and had to warm up the breast milk.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 16 July, 2010
    That's a great way to warm it up. You could also put it in a baggie and put the bag in a bowl of hot water. Voila - in minutes you have a warm meal! I went on vacation recently and the babysitter said that BK made her warm up his canned food - even if it was a new can! Well, he is the king - if he says jump, you jump! :))
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 16 July, 2010
    Mommie has warmed up canned food in the microwave. Just heat for a few seconds and make sure to stir it to remove hot spots. Mommie tests it with her finger!:))
    edited 16 July, 2010
    My meowmie doesn't have a microwave. A fur-less roommate turned their nose up at THREE different microwaves the meowmie was willing to pay for- so she stopped offering and said we just wont have a microwave, MOL :))! She did do the heating it up by running hot water over the container this morning, she also floated the closed container in some hot water in a big bowl in the sink and got it room temp for us. Misty downed her portion with the Duck but I still wont touch it. So Meowmie caved and opened another fancy feast can (which we plan on using anyways) but just mixed a single teaspoon of the duck from last night into my FF portion. I ate it. Left some meaty pieces behind so that's in the fridge now for later. She also measured how much of the dry food has been eaten. She put two cups in the feeder yesterday afternoon and now there is 1.5 cups left. She wants to keep track so she knows what to tell the pet hotel next week. It looks like we are off to a good start. Just need to find a healthier wet food that I will eat and we really will be on a roll ~a~
    edited 16 July, 2010
    Have you tried serving it to them without warming it up? I give wet food straight out of the fridge and she loves it, no problems. It would be easier and less time consuming..if they accept it :-k
    edited 16 July, 2010
    They dont like it when its that cold. Ive tried that way before. Ill work towards convincing them otherwise...but right now Im happy to get them to eat it at all. Little steps because we have little paws. Im going to try and always mix some of the pate kind into the FF kind, since they like the sauce and chunks..then work our way up to just eating the good kind (and it looks like whats available at the local store for the good kind is mostly pates, so we have our work cut out!) One day we will be off of the dry food. I just have to convince the other humans. I am setting a goal for by this time next year, no more dry food. Annabelle is a lil picky so it might take that long. But I think its doable in that amount of time if I can get everyone on board with the program. ~ AnnaBelle's Meowmie
    edited 16 July, 2010
    It looks like we have found at least one pate style food that I will eat! |/h/| Its the Blue Buffalo Spa selects seafood flavor (light blue can). Meowmie gave me 1 Tsp to start with by itself and I gobbled it up :))! So did Misty! So we got a lil more to make a meal of it. |$| It may have just been the Wilderness duck flavor. Awesome! |/h/| ... Now to find a wet food thats healthy and affordable! eek!