Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Merricks Before Grain

edited 26 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
In my piles of research I have been conducting I have come across Merricks Before Grain many times. However, I saw that it needed to be supplemented and wasn\'t sure if I was up for that. I have one cat that will anything. However...every grain free food I\'ve tried my other one will not eat. She will sniff and lick and look at me like I\'m crazy. She rigt now eating Blue Spa (I know it\'s not grain free) and Avoderm (again...I know now grain free). I would really like BOTH of them on grain free but I have to feed what they will eat. At least the one is with the program. So onto my question... I just looked up Merricks Before Grain and it says now that it is COMPLETE and BALANCED. I will post the website and any feedback would be great. I can get this within my budget and would love to put it into my rotation. Suggestions or ideas would be great! Thanks! http://www.beforegrain.com/

Comments

• Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 22 July, 2010
    Hey ! We just discovered this stuff. We have always eaten grain free. For dry we eat Evo, and wet we combine WeRuVa, BG, and Wellness. When mom first seen this on the shelf, she said.. mmmm look at this plain packaging, she read the ingredients and said "What the heck, lets try it" everything looked very impressive. I want you to know we are the most finicky cats ever ! But we did seem to eat some of it even tho its a Pate'. Anyway... mom buys a couple cans every week and uses others along with it - we use about 3 different type of grain free wet foods, rotated up so we dont get to bored. One day she will give us Wellness, the next day WeRuVa, and so on. We are very hard to please kitties, so us eating it is a good thing. You got our stamp of approval.|/h/| Get this, we are so picky that the two of us who weight 9 and 10 lbs dont even finish one small 3.5 oz between us per day. The plate is never licked clean, thats how picky we are. Go figure.:-/
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 22 July, 2010
    Yes, Merrick BG is balanced now. But none of the stuff I can get around here is as of yet... Mine love the quail!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 22 July, 2010
    It's true. Merrick B.G. is now a completely balanced diet. It's good stuff! My momma recommends that one on her website.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 22 July, 2010
    Some stores may still sell the old non-nutritionally complete Before Grain canned. Be sure to read the label closely before you buy it. The old formulas are either 100% meat or 100% fish with water for processing, nothing else. The new formulas contains a much longer list of ingredients that include vitamins and minerals.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 23 July, 2010
    Ok call me a negative nanny but... Im just leary of this product the reason being is the compnay ( family owned)has its own slaughter warehouse right next door to the food manufacturing plant. This is my leary thought anyhow.:-#
    edited 23 July, 2010
    Ooooooooooooooooo :-O I know that must be sad, but the meat has got to come from somewhere, maybe they dont like to commute to work :))
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 23 July, 2010
    My cats loved the BG Quail before they changed the formula to the new \"complete and balanced\" one. Now my cats really dislike the quail. Too bad, I won\'t be buying it again.
    edited 26 July, 2010
    We purchased the Quail this w/e since a few of you guys seemed to like it, I will keep you posted on if us finicky cats like it or not.
  • edited 26 July, 2010
    So far the girls love the chicken! So we are trying the Turkey and Quail as well!