Can Cat Fly in This Carrier?

Jessica MeederJessica Meeder Kaohsiung CityMember Posts: 31
edited 26 July, 2010 in Cats & Travel
There are pictures in my profile of him in the carrier that fits the airline's strict 43x25x25cm size limit. (It doesn't hold its shape when it's open.) I'm worried that he's too big for it, and that they won't let me on the plane with him. If they do that, I'll be stranded with everything that I own in suitcases, nowhere to go, and no one who can help me, so I really need to make sure that they'll let him on the plane. I know this little carrier isn't ideal, but with the summer heat here, he can't fly in cargo, and there is no one here who could take care of him for me until fall. I'm almost forgetting to give a little background information, Cat and I are moving from Taiwan back to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on this up coming Tuesday morning. Making the arrangements has been a prime example of Murphy's Law at every step, mostly because of the airlines.

Comments

• Lynda SmithLynda Smith Member Posts: 25
    edited 24 July, 2010
    I haven't traveled by air with a cat in a long time, but if I were you I would check with the airline that you are using. When he is in the carrier can he turn around? I think this is one of the tings they look for when approving the carriers, as well as being able to fit under the seat in front of you.
  • Jessica MeederJessica Meeder Kaohsiung CityMember Posts: 31
    edited 25 July, 2010
    He is able to turn around in the carrier, but he can\'t stand up fully, only crouch. The airline\'s guidelines says he should be able to stand up and turn around, but he can only turn around. Unfortunately, the airline couldn\'t tell me any more than their website says when I called. It all comes down to what the person at the check-in counter says when I get there. Hopefully it\'ll be someone who is easily swayed by tears because if they try to tell me no, I will cry, I won\'t be able to help it. I\'ve got friends who could go to Taipei next weekend and pick him up, and another who could take him till the fall when it\'s cool enough to send him to me cargo, but I\'ve got no place to leave him in Taipei until my friends could go and get him. That stupid airport that boasts of being so great doesn\'t have a pet hotel anywhere near it.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 July, 2010
    I would buy a hard carrier to the airline dimensions. I don't think they'll let him on the plane in what you have to be honest. He also needs a water cup, and food cup. Your flight is extremely long - and the airlines are very strict. Willow flew from Puerto Rico to Newark, and we had to get a hard carrier, plus the other things. Hope all your papers are easy with vaccines & health certificate? Cargo for this cat to the US would be horrible!