Consistent Hairballs

Keri LewisKeri Lewis Member Posts: 113
edited 17 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hi, Now I'm going to switch gears and speak of my other cat, Cinders. She's always been the one to vomit hairballs, and now that she's eating wet food everyday~a~ she literally pukes hairballs every, single morning like clockwork. What am I to do? Carpet and puke do NOT go together ::o ...And it wasn't my idea I rent.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 17 August, 2010
    Well for one she may be eating too fast. 2nd, you can get some Petromalt. I know, there's grains in it but we have to bend somewhere and there's not that much really. Get one that's a better product than Hartz, blech. That has too much mineral oil in there which is not good for them. But because of the switch in foods and eating too fast, it could be a temporary thing. This past spring I ripped out all of my carpets and put in click lock hardwoods. Best thing I ever did for them and for me. Although you rent so you can't but we know about carpets and puke and poop! :-O Also, you could get some icelandic salmon oil or sardine and anchovy oil: http://icelandpure.com/index2.html. This has some great Omega oils and helps to coat the GI tract and help the food slide down. If you can feed in smaller, more frequent meals, that's a better way to do it but if not, try to feed a quarter of a can and let her eat that, wait 15 minutes and give some more to let her get it down first. Hope this helps!
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 17 August, 2010
    Give 1/2 teaspoon of melted butter 1-2 times a week to lubricate the digestive track or you can give a teaspoon of fish oil once a week. Personally I choose to not use any of the hairball medicene as I don't like the ingrediats.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 17 August, 2010
    I wouldn't give butter because it has saturated fat in it and you want to stay away from that. Saturated fats can clog arteries and cause high cholesterol. Just to be safe I'd stick with the salmon or sardine oil myself. Sorry Mo, wasn't trying to poo poo you're idea. Hope you know that! We love you. Just want to be cautious.:D