I\\\'m new here, and my kitty needs help.

Shanna DShanna D Member Posts: 5
edited 22 August, 2010 in Cat Health
I took in a stray non-feral cat that had been abandonded by her owner last winter. She\'s a sweet, long-haired little thing who\'s a bit shy. She loves to go outdoors and has done so with no harm for the past year and a half. She is spayed and has all her claws However, in the past few weeks, she\'s come home with injuries. She was clawed all the way down a side, and got an infection that merited a vet visit. Today she just came with a deep slash across her nose and brow that thankfully missed her eye. She was panting shortly after, something she\'s never done before. She\'s quieted down and napping currently, but seems extremely cautious and was meowing oddly earlier. She\'s generally a quiet cat. I\'m worried that some new cat or animal has set up residence nearby, and that I may have to keep her inside. What\'s up with the panting? How can I keep her inside for her own safety without stressing her out?

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 18 August, 2010
    Hey Lacey, we have the same name! LOL! I'd say there's another cat beating her up and that's stressing her out WAY more than keeping her inside could ever do. I wouldn't let her out anymore because cats can be incredibly violent and you may not see her again next time. When I was younger, my sister and her husband lived two blocks away from us. My dad was over there and there was a "gang" of neighborhood cats beating up my sister's cat and it got so bad, that when my brother-in-law tried to break it up and rescue her, they turned on him. He had to go to the ER for stitches and shots! The panting is from stress! She's probably scared and was fighting for her life. Don't let her out anymore, I think that's the best thing you could do for her. Besides that, ever hear a cat mating? Even though she's spayed they can still come after her and it's loud and sounds like they're fighting. It's not sweet love making let me tell you, it's nasty!
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 19 August, 2010
    Hi lacey, lacey is right, the best thing for her is to keep her inside for good. i was a stray too, 10yrs later, i am 99.9% indoor kitty. the only time i go out is when my daddy takes me out, then brings me back in. its much safer and better inside. so, keep her inside,and you will have less worries and vet bills. lady
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 August, 2010
    It sounds as if she would do better inside. All of mine have been indoor cats. Natasha was under a year when I got her. She was a stray and had lost a litter of kittens in the pound because of her weight. She won't go near the door. She likes it inside. She will look outside but enjoys our company. More and more owners are bringing their cats in. You will find more are in than are out....
  • Shanna DShanna D Member Posts: 5
    edited 19 August, 2010
    Thanks for the answers! I've been telling my parents we need to keep her in from now on, or our vet bills are going to keep going up. We're taking Lacey in to the vet in a half an hour, because she's developed a limp as well. Hopefully nothing too serious.
    edited 19 August, 2010
    Get her a harness and take her out with you once a day in the yard. Something like that is good enough to give her some time in the grass without subjecting her to anymore violence.
    edited 19 August, 2010
    We do have a harness for my kitten, and we've tried to use it on Lacey before. It didn't end well. We're not sure what we're going to do for now. The vet said it was another cat, and that it had bit her leg, hence the limp. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and reccomended we leave her inside to heal for several days.
    edited 19 August, 2010
    Then I really would just suck it up and let her stay inside. She'll get used to it. It's for her own safety otherwise it's obvious she's going to get hurt again.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Cat bites are serious so be sure to keep an eye on it in case it gets infected. Lacey is such a pretty girl, you need to keep her safe inside. Cat fights are the number one way in which a healthy cat gets infected with FIV or FeL -- life-shortening diseases.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 20 August, 2010
    A very close Friend\'s cat was just bitten, very badly, by a dog. She thought he had been shot. But the vet said it was a dog attack. Boo boo Kitty is doing much better now. Friend is now keeping him and his Sisfur inside only. Good Luck and please keep us all advised to how she does!
  • Marla BradfordMarla Bradford Palm Beach CountyMember Posts: 630
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Lacey, you're so pretty! I'm a stray too...well, I was abandoned outside but I stayed in the parking lot outside the home of the people who abandoned me. I was just too scared and small to go anywhere else! Indoor is lots better for kitties -- you'll be healthier and have a much longer life if you mostly stay indoors! I had my fill of the outside when I was abandoned; I look outside now and will even stand in the open door way, but I don't want to go out! Inside is much better...food, water, air conditioning...
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Nobody has mentioned--if she's "meowing oddly""--are you sure she's spayed? If not, she could be in heat. Anyway, I agree with everyone else--stay inside!
    edited 21 August, 2010
    Thanks for all the care and compliments. :) Lacey is for sure spayed (and luckily for her, recieved her booster shots for feline leuk last week, and is up to date on all other vaccinations) and has since ceased the panting and strange mewing. Her left eye is now swollen a bit in the brow area, which makes her look evil, but otherwise, it looks pretty good. We do plan to take her in once more next week to ensure that it's healing properly without becoming a cyst like the vet warned us could happen. She's stayed inside without any issues, and we've actually discovered the general area where this mean cat has moved in.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 21 August, 2010
    =D> I am sure glad you are feeling better. Keep up the good work. =; I just got my booster shots and dewormed. The Vet lady and everyone there told me I had such a nice shiny, soft coat! The Ladies with the cat rescue could not get enough of me. They all told Meowma that I am a Mackerel Tabby with White. I am most likely part if not all Main Coon. They told Mom to watch my tail and see if I get furry feet... what ever that means. I came in, ate a few bites, drank water, went pee and now I only want to sleep.....:^: edited for spelling
  • edited 22 August, 2010
    Sounds like you're on the right track for healing. Stay inside for a while. I just wanted to chime in on the harness idea. It takes time and patience, but if you can get kitty accustomed to it, she will come to love it. Look up bunny harnesses, some of them are softer and easier to get on... not at all like the cat/dog harnesses in the pet store. The key is to take the introduction to it very slowly... literally a few seconds per day at a time. Build slowly up to minutes per day, then to hours, then even a full day or two... just for the harness. Once kitty is fine with the harness, hook up the leash and hold it straight up from kitty's body. Don't pull on it, just hold it up out of the way. Let kitty move where she wants, don't try to lead her around. Again, do it for a few seconds, then minutes. Let her do the walking, then slowly start to direct her and ease into leading. Take your time... bit by bit... give yourself and kitty a few weeks to work it all out. Impatience is your enemy, do not give it to it. Once kitty realizes the harness and leash are not attacking her, take her outside. From this point forward, always take her outside with the harness & leash. She will begin to associate the harness & leash with the reward of going outside. =;