Recovery from anesthetic

Krista PugsleyKrista Pugsley ScarboroughMember Posts: 43
edited 5 August, 2011 in Cat Health
Binxie's mom here. Yesterday I took Binx to the vet to have his teeth cleaned. He as put under around 10:00AM, and they called me at 10:30 to advise me that he was awake but sleepy. I picked him up at 1:30. When we got home he was obviously still 'drugged' pacing back and forth, staring at the walls like something was there. He couldn't seem to hold still. Today he's just laying down, seems completely lethargic. He seems so weak. It's been 24 hrs - anyone know how much longer before the anesthetic is out of his system and he starts feeling better? I called the vet, and the advised me to wait until tomorrow and if he's not better to bring him back in.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Depends on what kind of anesthetic they used but usually they should be snapping out of it long before now. That was over 24 hours ago. What I would suggest is trying to get him to move around and see if he's okay, meaning is he able to walk, is he eating, is he wobbling, etc. If not, it sounds like he's having a bad reaction to it, which can happen. If he's not doing too well today, if it were me, I'd take him to the ER just to be safe. If he is able to walk around okay and is eating, I'd get him up and attum! Make him walk it off and get it out of his system. play with him or try to get him to play at least. Most people and animals now get an anesthetic that wears off very quickly. This is too long.:-/
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Finnegan is right, it does depend on what kind of anstesia, they used. I know there are different kinds, from when the kittens were neutered. :D The kittens were done in the morn, and I picked them up after work on Fri, they were pretty out of it, which is normal, and they always tell you to confine them to one room, or a cage, so they don't hurt themselfs. I put them in the bedroom, and they just slept. My vet called to see how they were doing on Sat morn. They were better, walking around, but I could tell, they weren't feeling that great, and they only picked at their food. She said if they weren't better by Mon, to bring them in. Which by Mon, they were back to their normal crazy boy selfs. But I agree with Finnegan, he shouldn't still be so lethargic, he should at least be walking around and at least show a little interest in his food. If my kittens were still acting like that, on Sat aft, I myself, would be calling the ER vet. Well, I would call my vet, but that is only because I have her cell. But I realize most people don't have that privledge, so yes, like Finnegan said, take him to the ER vet, or at least call them. Then call your vet first thing Mon morn, and ask, what anestesia was he given and how much, and was there a tech in there too, to monitor him, or was it just the vet. Future reference, always ask, if a tech will be in there to monitor him too and ask, what kind of anastesia will be used. Something about kettermine sticks in my head, but forget now, if that is the good one or the bad one. The others can prob tell you better about that one. Please let us know, if you took him in, and how he is doing, please don't wait. Best of luck, hope he is feeling better soon. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • anthony priseanthony prise austinMember Posts: 1
    edited 30 August, 2010
    well they are very nice and healthy pet to keep.I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone ======================== Dental Health
  • Krista PugsleyKrista Pugsley ScarboroughMember Posts: 43
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Actually, I did call the vet this morning. He said give him one more day...because he didn't sleep when I brought him home, and he apparently was quite nervous and stressed while at the clinic (before the cleaning). Vet things he's probably playing catch up today. He did eat a couple of treats that I gave him (while laying down) so that's a good sign.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I would still keep an eye on him, but I am the overly picky one on here, mol. That he ate a few treats, yes, is a good sign. I gave my kittens a little baby food, like a 1/4 teaspoon, mixed with water, so it was soupy, just to get some nutrition and water in them. :D What you want to be careful of, is that he does not get dehydrated, which can also cause him to act like he does. Has he drank any water yet? Even if its a little bit. :D Hey, if we can put up car pictures, I am putting up my PT, mol, or even my horse, pretty car. :))
    edited 28 August, 2010
    yes, I don't quite understand that car post myself, LOL! I also think that treats aren't enough and he should be at least eating a little bit of food by now. It definitely sounds like he had a bad reaction to the anesthetic which can happen to anyone, people and pets. Keep this reaction in your own records so if he ever has to be put under for another cleaning or another reason, YOU make sure the vet knows or remembers what happened and to use another anesthetic. Can you do like Coal suggested and feed some baby food (NO garlic or onions at all) just to get him interested again? Like I said, maybe try and get him up and around to walk off some of it. The more he's active, the more he'll excrete the leftover drugs. Poor little guy. I hate that groggy, yucky feeling and I HATE seeing my cats acting like that!! It's a helpless feeling.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Okay, so I took your advice and picked him up. I put him in the bathtub and turned it on a slow drip (he likes drinking from the tap). He drank water for a good minute. He jumped out of the tub himself and walked about 6 feet, then flopped down onto his back for a belly rub. He's currently sitting on the back of the sofa. He still seems really anxious and tired but he won't go to sleep. I called the vet and asked what he was given. Best I can understand he had a shot with 3 different sedatives (one which is ketamine) :(( Then he had the gas anesthetic during the procedure. After they gave him an antibiotic shot. Like I said when I brought him home he wouldn't stand still. I think either he was seeing things, or his vision was messed up. I just started reading today, and apparantly ketamine can cause hallucinations. I'm definitely not letting them give him that again!
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Yowsers! Well, he sounds like he's much better though. THANK GOODNESS! I'd say keep him active, I know he's restless but maybe getting him to move around and play or something, will work some of that off and out of his body. That's great that he drank like that because yes, dehydration could have been an issue. Especially since anesthesia can give you a serious case of dry mouth. Keep him drinking to flush it out, maybe do that a couple of more times today with the bathtub if he likes it! Hopefully by tomorrow he'll be fine. Phew! I'm feeling better about him now.:)
    edited 28 August, 2010
    So very glad he drank, and is feeling a little better! Part of it might have been he was dehydrated. Sorry wasn't more specific on the baby food. I use Beechnut stage 1, Chicken or Turkey ONLY. I gave the kittens the chicken one, as turkey has the same effect, as when you eat TG turkey, ya want to take a nappy, mol. :D Try and get some baby food in him, remember to mix it with water, so its soupy. It will give him addl water intake, get him flushed out, and get some nutrition in him. OK, so kettermine is the bad one, couldn't remember, thanks for that info. Call the vet back, and ask, specifically, what anastesia's he got, and how much, and write it down, don't just accept well there was 3 shots in there. Make them tell you. *If* he should need to go to the ER, the ER vet is going to need to know, exactly what he had and how much. Will help him/her better with the diagnoses and treatment. And like Finnegan said, your going to need this for future reference, should he need anastesia in the future, weather it be this vet or another vet. :D It should not be a prob for the vet to tell you this, you paid for it, they didn't do it for free and Binix depends on you, to take care of him. :-h My vet knows how I am about Bumpurr and the kittens, mol, and I was a wreck, mol. They prob flew in 6 surgeons from Johns Hopkins, mol, they also know how Bumpurr is, he don't take no for ans. :)) They didn't want anything to go wrong, mol. The super great kitties on here held my hand, thru the surgery and afterwards, we are all here to help and support each other. :-h Please keep us updated, how he is feeling (((((((((BIG HUGS TO BINIX))))))))
  • edited 28 August, 2010
    I agree with Coal/Bumpurr. Be a pest. ;) Make your vet tell you exactly what was used. It\'s your right to know. It\'s a pet peeve of mine when I hear about vets who just blow their clients off with vague answers, grrrrr. Also, I\'m sure the water is a big help. Not only will it help re-hydrate, but will also help flush out the leftover toxins from the drugs. Hope he is feeling back to normal soon.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I forgot to mention that being dehydrated will affect hunger so by making sure he's drinking enough, that will get him eating again. The fact that he drank for like a minute is very telling. Cotton mouth for sure!;)
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Actually the girl that answered the phone did tell me what he was given, but the Ketamine is the only one I can remember. I'm pretty sure that's what's messed him up. Anyway, I brought him some wet food and he ate. I think his poor little mouth is sore, because he shook his head and meowed after his meal. He's currently sleeping on the couch & he looks more relaxed right now.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Glad he ate something, that is a good sign, and a huge plus. Try mixing his wet with water, so its soupy, if his mouth is bothering him, it will be easier for him to drink it, than eat it. Kinda like we have to have soup after dental work. Please keep us updated. :D
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Yup, that's the cotton mouth thing I was thinking about. He was probably not eating because he hadn't had any moisture and I swear I don't know why they don't know enough to just drink when they're thirsty! That's great to hear that he ate some wet food and is more relaxed. He's on his way to full recovery, thank goodness. It's just so scary to see them freaking out like that, it freaks us out, which as kitty parents, isn't hard to do!:)) Yes, I double the suggestion of adding a little water to his wet food, just enough to get some extra moisture in there. So glad he's feeling better!=;
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Now, your next mission, is to call the vet back, and write down, what she said he had, and, how much. If she says it too fast, tell her you can't write that fast, mol, and ask her how to spell it, if ya don't know. Don't make Bumpurr have to call that vet, mol, he will come back with a detailed report, of exactly what was done with him, from when you dropped him off, to when you picked him up, and when Bumpurr gets done with the girl, she will be "happy" to tell you anything you want to know, mol, the big Bump, don't take no for an anser, mol, mol, mol. :)) Finnegan, is the amount of anastesia based on the weight of the cat? If not, what do they base it on. :-k
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Hmmm, well I just googled it but didn't come up with much. But I do know that anesthesia lowers blood pressure, heart rate, etc. so hooking patients up to monitors for constant viewing of those numbers, I'm guessing it has to do with all of those things, weight included and also how easy it may or may not be to dose someone. My mom has been told she was given as much as they'd give to a horse and she still wasn't fully out and she's not a heavy person. There's also the factor of being drug resistant. So it's difficult to tell, they can only give you so much before it becomes dangerous. I can't imagine for a cat that weights under 20 lbs. it's all that much. But depending on his other issues like the blood pressure rate, heart rate, etc. is when they'd decide to either give more or less.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I remember with the kittens, before the surgery, like a week before, they had to have a blood panel done, if I remember correctly, that tells the vet, if they have any issues, and something about the white blood cells or the red ones, forget now exactly. :-k I do remember, and this was alot alot of years ago. Before Brandy was spayed, there was something wrong with her white blood cells, or maybe it was the red ones. Because of it, they had to use different anastesia, and something about they had to have another vet in there, in case, and if something went wrong, they had to close her up immed. I was a worse wreck that day, than I was with the kittens, mol, but it all went well. If the others get involved in this post, some will tell you horror stories. What anastesia they use is huge. Did Binixe get a blood panel done the week before surgery? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Yep. His white blood count was a little high. But they figured that had to do with the state of his teeth. He also has high kidney levels. The doctor said he should go on a low protein diet. I currently have them eating EVO Ancestral diet. It's supposed to be the closest thing to a raw diet -- but it's High Protien low carb. Sigh. I don't know what to believe. I guess I'll put them back on Wellness again.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Can I give you my opinion on the low protein thing? it's a crock! In all of my research on IBD, there are so many kitties that get kidney issues because let's face it, once one organ is straining to work right, it affects the others a lot. And a lot of vets now believe as long as you lower the phosphorus level, the protein level should stay the same. I find that to be true with my nephew kitty Moufasa. He does just fine on high protein as long as the carbs, phosphorus and other stuff is low. Canned Wellness is fine but I wouldn't recommend going on the Wellness Core dry if that's even an option. That is being talked about on several threads right now and on my newsletter listing as possibly being the cause of a lot of crystals in kitties. So to be on the safe side, I wouldn't feed it. You know what I give Mouffey for his kidneys and it works fantastic? It's this product here: http://www.entirelypets.com/vbutracsupp.html. I bought it at my local grocery store so it's becoming very widely available. It's very inexpensive, it's all natural and very gentle but boy does it do him a lot of good. It's a huge tablet but it tastes like beef so you can crush it, break it into pieces or whatever and put it in his food. Mouffey is a crazy nut, he loves pills for some reason so I just break it into pieces and he eats it like a treat!!! There's plenty of things you can do for kidneys that's easy.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Thanks for the tip Finnegan...I'll have to look a little deeper into the Supplement for Binx. His urine was actually too PH (alkaline)back a few years ago and he developed crystals and I had to rush him to the vets for an overnight stay and treatment.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Does he eat only wet food? Has he always ate only wet food? I'm wondering if he by any chance ate the Wellness dry that we've been talking about.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    He was my roommates cat and she was feeding him grocery store food. When she moved away, she left him with me and he became permanently my baby, and shortly thereafter ended up at the vets with crystals. I immediately put him on what the vet recommended (Science Diet Oral Care) but then I started reading the ingredients which freaked me out. I then put him on Wellness (not Core, because it didn't exist back then). Within the last year, I moved them over to Evo because I read that it was the best quality and higher protien. Binx nibbles at the dry food, but mostly he likes his wet food. He gets canned Wellness. If you have any suggestions for another food though, let me know. I want to do whatever I can to help him live a long, long life. By the way, just an update. Binxie is up and around, and seems to be feeling better...he ran around for a few seconds...but that tired him out and now he's laying down. But it's a huge improvement from this morning/afternoon. So I think he's on the mend. He ate some wet food, but I'm pretty sure his mouth hurts because he was chewing funny. I'm sure it'll take a couple of days for that to improve.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Awww Binx is so cute!!! Hunter was on wellness for a few months, well as long as I've had him really. Anyway, I noticed that when he was on it, all he did was sleep. I mean he would sleep maybe 16 hours out of the day. I actually did a little experiment, and took him off of the wellness, he perked up and seemed 'normal', I then put him back on wellness because of poop problems. All he did was sleep again. Now he is off of the wellness and a complete lunatic. Then again, he is only 7 months old. But in Hunters case I attribute his sleepyness to the Wellness canned food. Maybe it affects Binx the same way. :? Anyway, I hope Binx starts to feel better. Hunter was loopy for a few hours after he got fixed. But it quickly went away. Definately good advice from Finnegan, and Coal. Hi guys! :-h Feel better Binx! |:|
    edited 28 August, 2010
    LOL, Hi Hunter you cutie! Yes, Hunter's mom is glad he's running around again but he's mischievous like me! Grocery store dry!!!! I cannot tell you how much damage that crap does. That's exactly what my sister was feeding Moufasa and he was near death when they came to live here. I put him on all kinds of canned foods, raw, etc. and a lot of other things that I've learned about gastrointestinal issues and a year later he is finally doing much, much better. He's an old guy now and because of his breed (Siamese) and his whole life eating junk, he'll never be tip top. But he's happy, he's talkative, he's a big luv bug and he eats his food and has stopped having the poops and urinary problems. Does Binxie ever get foamy urine? If so, that's a sign of kidney issues. That product I gave you the link for, does a great job on that. I'd suggest for canned foods to start with Nature's Variety and see if he likes it. there are several different flavors to go with and I'd just give him each one and see how he likes it and handles it. If he handles it well, I'd start rotating his diet to other canned foods in addition. Finney and Lacey never get the same can of food in one day. I give them lots of different things. This way HOPEFULLY they won't get food allergies. I can't guarantee it but I can sure try! That's so great to hear that he's doing better tonight. You can both sleep better tonight knowing you don't have to bring him to the ER or call the vet back.;c;
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Thanks for all your kind words and advice... I've been reading up on the different foods, and I'm really confused now there's so many 'grain free' varieties now. What do you guys feed your cats? I think it's time to switch their dry food to something else, but obviously there's a lot of stink on Wellness dry now with crystals, so I won't be moving them back to that. Maybe Blue Buffalo? I'll keep feeding them the Wellness wet though, because it seems to be the only wet food they really like.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Thanks for all your kind words and advice... I've been reading up on the different foods, and I'm really confused now there's so many 'grain free' varieties now. What do you guys feed your cats? I think it's time to switch their dry food to something else, but obviously there's a lot of stink on Wellness dry now with crystals, so I won't be moving them back to that. Maybe Blue Buffalo? I'll keep feeding them the Wellness wet though, because it seems to be the only wet food they really like.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I feed Hunter mainly Weruva (breakfast and dinner) and for lunch he has been getting Addiction Safari Buffalo meatloaf, he LOVES it. It's his favorite. Then overnight he gets 1/8 cup of Wellness Core Dry. Thats if he eats it... Will be switching to another food after this current bag is finished.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Thanks for your response! I'll have to look for those...I never seen them at the Pet Value where I get the Evo. I'm in Canada.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Binxie you can look at the list of grain free dry foods on my mom's website: http://ibdkitties.net/CommercialFood.html. Never mind the grocery store stuff like Friskies, the grain free variety are in there because some sick kitties won't eat ANYTHING and we need to entice them to eat. So Weruva is definitely a great brand, Blue Buffalo is too, we feed Nature's Variety, yes Weruva also, some Nature's Balance, some Petguard, anything that's grain free I try and give them. They don't like Wellness food at all, so that's a no go. Addiction is definitely a good one also, we just don't have it here. Thanks for reminding me Hunter, I want to ask my local place to get me some cans for sampling.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I haven't seen the 3oz cans anywhere of the addiction food, and I haven't even seen the dry. (was thinking of trying that out after the "core" is finished, oh well) All I've seen are the 5.5oz cans. Haven't tried any other flavors yet, but I bought them all I think. Its thick food though. If I open it, and give him some, its fine. However, if I put the rest in the fridge, and then give him some. its dry. I have to put water in it, heat it up, and then mix it. Its different. But he loves it, so at least hes eating now... :))