Freaking out

Lauren FrancisLauren Francis Member Posts: 122
edited 30 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Spazzy isn't acting normal right now, he seemed fine earlyer and ws playing with the kitten but now he is being odd. Seems to be quite tired and isn't coming when I call him,not fighting to get away when I try to hold him for a long period of time, usually within a minutes he pushes to get down. When I picked him up he felt warm but he was curled up so I guess it could be just warmth from laying down. We did have a change in weather today, it has been nice out but today the humidity came back and it was really hot. We do have A/C but it was still a bit warm. The kitten is acting normally so I don't think she is sick and gave him anything. He just isn't acting like himself and it's really scaring me, if he gets sick I will absolutly lose it, I am crying right now typing this. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Sally WaldronSally Waldron Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    edited 30 August, 2010
    Hmmm I know when the weather gets hot here, Macy isn't as active as the kitten.....is he eating and drinking and using the litter box? I know last year when Macy got a fever he was really listless and all he wanted to do was sleep in wierd places and when I picked him up he was sorta limpish. I like you freaked right out and took him right to the vet even though it was the weekend and they gave him antibiotics, and after a few days he was back to his old self. This is a pretty good link on fevers in cats and tells you what to look for: http://www.petplace.com/cats/fever-in-cats/page1.aspx
  • Lauren FrancisLauren Francis Member Posts: 122
    edited 30 August, 2010
    He had eaten and drank today and used the litter box. Right now I have him down in the cool basement with me and he finally purred a little bit, so that made me feel a bit better but he does kinda go a bit limpish when I pick him up and was sleeping inside the dog crate which he doesn't normally do. I think if he is still this way tomorrow I'm calling the vet. If I lose him I will die
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 August, 2010
    If you noticed, he felt warm to you, when you picked him up, then its been my experience, they are warm. Can't say in every case, but I remember with Smokey, when she was sick, she felt warm, and she was dehydrated. Give him some wet mixed with water, so its soupy, to get some water in him. Cats will hide, when they don't feel good, and anytime they are not acting their normal selfs, it is a cause for concern. I would call your vet this morn, whatever it is, its best to catch it early. Horses will colic, which is real dangerous, since they can't throw up, like a cat, dog or person, with a change in the weather, or if it is really hot. Seems like cats might react the same way. Before you call your vet, sit down and take a breath. Its important you describe all Spazzy's symptoms, without being hysterical. If ya have to, write them down, before you call. Best of luck, keep us posted. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Lauren FrancisLauren Francis Member Posts: 122
    edited 30 August, 2010
    He is much more himself this morning. I wrapped an icepack in a towel and put it in his bed for the night. I left my room for a lil bit and came back in (this morning) and he was right there at the door greeting me and purring then I asked him if he wanted his food and he gave me a loud meow, so he seems back to normal this morning. I will be keeping a very close eye on him though and if anything changes the vet will be called! Thanks guys!
  • Sally WaldronSally Waldron Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    edited 30 August, 2010
    Glad to hear he is feeling better! I never thought about the ice pack in the bed, that is something I will need t remember for the future.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 August, 2010
    We use the ice pack at shows, the kind that is prepackaged per say, I think its a gel. We put it under their blankets in their bench cage. We also have little fans, that work on batteries, that you can hang on their cage. Show halls are air conditioned, but some seems they don't work too well, or their is something wrong with them. :D Glad Spazzy is feeling better. :D