Dental Health

Ling Ling ChangLing Ling Chang Member Posts: 33
edited 15 October, 2010 in Cat Health
Hi everyone! I was wondering about your dental routine. Do you brush your cat's teeth everyday?...if not everyday then how often? What do you use? Do you just go for yearly dental cleanings? I'm curious. For me... I'm trying to get Mochi used to at home teeth brushing! |^|

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 1 September, 2010
    I try about once a week to brush. I have tried the finger brush, the regular tooth brush, and now the wipes. I kind of like those, cause I can get in -get out -done pretty fast. I also just got some Pet Kiss liquid. You put it in the water & it is supposed to help with tartar & such. They can't seem to taste it, so I guess that is good. But Maizy is 5 and she has beautiful teeth & gums, so I guess I must be doing something right! puurrs
  • Pauline ButlerPauline Butler Member Posts: 113
    edited 9 October, 2010
    I got an "at home" dental kit from my vet... it came with the special kitty toothpaste and 3 "brushes" to get her use to them -- i use the finger one i try every other day but usually only get in one good brush on sunday's --- its the only day i'm home all day with her ---
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 9 October, 2010
    Hi everyone, please be very careful using any tooth products containing carrageenan. Carrageenan is already in our food which can't be helped but it's in higher concentrations in tooth products and it's documented in many science, research papers and websites as being a trigger and potential cause of feline & human IBD and pancreatitis. I'm not trying to scare you, I know it's almost impossible to find a tooth product without it. However the high levels of it in the tooth products have been suspected for a couple of years now as triggering feline IBD. I know of several cases personally where the kitties developed severe pancreatitis after using those products and had to be hospitalized. I just thought you should have the information, I wish I had an alternative to suggest. ::o
  • Pauline ButlerPauline Butler Member Posts: 113
    edited 9 October, 2010
    what is IBD?
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 9 October, 2010
    IBD is inflammatory bowel disease and it's a very painful condition that can only be treated but not cured. It can lead to a lot of other serious conditions as well. It's not worth it, trust me. I died of Triaditis; IBD, pancreatitis, and fatty liver. www.ibdkitties.net.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 9 October, 2010
    My three purr monsters are on a raw diet, which helps keep their teeth and gums naturally clean and healthy. However, I also use, not often, but occasionally, the Petzlife Gel. You just rub a little bit on teeth and gums, and no brushing is required.
  • M BenkeM Benke Member Posts: 581
    edited 10 October, 2010
    I've never brushed, and don't feed raw. I've only had to do a dental once on my 7 year old, and there were no extractions or gum disease, just tartar buildup. However, Kovu (RIP) was one of those cats who needed weekly brushing and yearly dentals and still passed away with hardly a tooth in his head at 10 years old. Each cat is different. A lot of cats won't tolerate tooth brushing, and there are things you can add to their water to help (not sure how well they work). Sometimes, it may just be a matter of talking with your vet and keeping an eye on their teeth and going in for a dental when necessary.
  • Diane HooperDiane Hooper Member Posts: 314
    edited 11 October, 2010
    I used to brush Pookie's teeth with just my finger and kitty toothpaste (I forget the brand), but fell out of the habit last year when I stop feeding him dry food. I give him raw chicken gizzards about twice a week and he usually gets a piece of raw chicken or turkey as his second dinner, and it seems to be working because at his check-up in August the vet said his teeth looked great. ~a~
  • Charly HuxCharly Hux Member Posts: 3
    edited 13 October, 2010
    Koda just lost her second canine tooth. And because I am such a worrisome mom I looked in her mouth to make sure there wasn't any damage or her teeth weren't broken out. I discovered a small black line across her gums over her front teeth. Ive read where some people say its just breed. If that's the case, fine. But this is the first time I've seen this line, I am not positive, I almost think it showed up after the tooth fell out. Any ideas?? Should I worry?
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 15 October, 2010
    I didn't know the ans to this either, mol, and wanted to learn something new, so typed "black line on gums cats" in my search engine, alot of stuff came up. If I understand it correctly, it appears it may be the beginning of dental disease, and it recommends you take your pet to your vet for a dental check up. :D
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 15 October, 2010
    Some cats develop black freckles on their gums. This is normal :) Orange cats are most likely to get freckles in their mouths, lips, and nose. Resorptive lesions can appear as black stuff at the gum line. This indicates really bad dental disease and needs to be treated. If you are unsure, definitely ask the vet =;