I have Diarrhea :(

Heather FranklinHeather Franklin Member Posts: 10
edited 1 September, 2010 in Cat Health
I have had diarrhea now for about a month. Mom took me to the vet and I stayed there for the night while they checked me and took my stool for a culture. I was then given this bitter tasting blue pill that was called Metronidazole and a paste that was yummy called Florentine. They have not worked, My stool is runny, and I stopped using the litter box because I have associated it with feeling yucky. I have gone on my moms bed and on the floors. The vet says my culture came back and it showed I had high levels of Cryptosporidia, and thinks the next step is for me to have B12 shots for the next week, as well as maybe some Tylan powder. Has anyone had this problem? If so, please help!! :(

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 1 September, 2010
    We have not had this problem, but have seen many CATSTER members post and suggest trying canned pumkin...NOT pumkin pie filling, just plain canned pumpkin. Also chicken baby food - be sure it contains no seasonings. This seems to help. Good luck and keep us posted. The New Orleans Kitties
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Hi there little one! You could have gotten that bacteria from your water supply. Are you on city water? If so, maybe your mom could get an over-the-counter filter like we have. It comes with a replacable cartridge so you can inexpensively change it every six months! it works great and is very healthy for all of us. The other thing is that Metronidazole is an antibiotic that wipes out all of your good bacteria with the bad. Tylan is also, it's just not as strong. But something you can try that works terrific for a lot of kitties (we've tried it) is Eaglepack Transition Solution. It's a chicken flavored powder that you sprinkle on the food and it tastes yummy and has mild probiotics in it! You can get it anywhere they sell Eaglepack foods OR Here's the link: http://www.petstore.com/Eagle_Pack_Holistic_Transition_Supplement_2.2oz_Adult_Dog_Food-Eagle_Pack-QG59300-DGFDAD-vi.html I would also suggest changing to an all grain free diet if you're not already on that. Grains can aggrevate the system. Another thing to add is Colostrum. This is the closest thing you can get to a mother's milk and gives back a kitty the vital antibodies it needs to fight things like this. Again, it's just a powder and it works great! http://www.iherb.com/Symbiotics-Colostrum-Plus-Powder-6-3-oz-178-6-g/5457?at=0. I'd continue still with the stuff you're on now, just in the meantime until things settle down. if you want information on the water filter, pawmail me and let me know, I'll send you a link for that as well. Also, yes, the canned pumpkin can give immediate relief, not the pie filling, just pure pumpkin and preferably an organic one. Let me know if you have any other questions!!!