Wellness Pouch Question

Rich BauerRich Bauer Member Posts: 4
edited 14 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
A lot of people are feeding Wellness pouches here. I was wondering how many per day people feed ? The package says feed TWO pouches per 5 pounds of body weight. That seems like a LOT of food. Is one chicken & turkey in the morning (80 Kals) and one at night (80 Kcals) with a little bit of Evo dry in the afternoon (40 Kcals) enough Kcals (200) for an average inactive 12 pound spayed female ? Also is there enough protein in this diet ? The Wellness pouch is only 8% but a can can be 10% or 11% even.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Feeding those pouches would be very expensive. The best thing to do is just give those once and a while for a treat. Feeding the large cans of the Wellness wet would be more affordable, especially if you buy a case you usually get a discount. ' Here is a link that explains about protein and how to get the dry matter basis for protein. Wet food always has more protein than dry. You just have to know how to read the labels and do the math to get the real amount of protein. http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/faq.html#express Your cat if it is 12lbs should be getting about 235 calories a day. Plus some exercise (play time) to keep fit. =;
  • Rich BauerRich Bauer Member Posts: 4
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Thank you very much for providing the link and calorie information. I wish that I could get her to eat more than a tablespoon full of any kind of canned food. I think she likes to pick up the pouch chunks with her teeth. It is very expensive at two per day but it's the only wet she'll eat for some reason.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 3 September, 2010
    We eat the Wellness grain free canned food but have never tried their pouches. They sound yummy. I think Mommy will buy us the grainfree Chicken and Turkey flavor like Rosey eats. Each pouch only has 80 calories? So that is less than a 3oz can of their food. It will be interesting to see if Zack and I like the chunks or not.
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Rosey eats it in 2-3 sittings. The first sitting is just to drink the juice, but then she comes back to it within 20 minutes to eat the chunks. :)
    edited 8 September, 2010
    :-h Hi Rosey! We got our case of the Wellness Pouches today and Mommy opened one for Zack and I to share for one of our meals. We LOVED it!! We actually ate the meat chunks first and then lapped up the gravy. Mommy could tell we really enjoyed the meal. Mommy is going to try splitting 2 pouches for us a day to start. And then we'll eat the canned Wellness the rest of our small meals. Mommy thought the food looked really yummy. I'm glad I saw this thread so Mommy would order some for us. ~a~ ~a~
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Hi Zoey! :-h You like the Wellness Pouch? Mom won't feed them to me anymore. She said I was bad once. I was so excited, I tore open the pouch by myself, licked all the gravy that came out, and left the chunks all over the livingroom chair! Maybe if I be super lovey, she'll buy me more! Glad you and Zack liked it! :D
    edited 9 September, 2010
    :-h Hi Hunter!! It sounds like your Mommy was the bad one who left the pouch were you could get it! :)) Mommy keeps all our food up in a cabinet where we cannot get at it. I think most cats would do the same as you and make a mess. Not your fault! Did your Mommy ever get a chance to put a pouch in a bowl for you to see if you liked the chunks? We had the pouches again this morning and Daddy watched us eat them too and he got a kick out of how much we loved the chunks. :c9
    edited 14 September, 2010
    What flavors do you guys get ? My parents only give me Turkey & Chicken because they think I get too finicky if given other choices. So it's that one flavor day after day or nothing. Doesn't seem fair !
    Rosey we only get turkey and chicken food. Which we love so we are fine with that. Mommy gets us that because we love it plus easy to find grainfree. In the Wellness canned we get the turkey and the chicken. In the pouches we get the same as you, the turkey and chicken. Mommy recently ordered a case of the pouches in the Chicken & Chicken Liver also for us to try and that is being delivered today. I'll let you know if we like it. All the above is grainfree.
    %:D% We tried the Wellness Healthy Indulgence Pouches in Chicken & Chicken Liver today and we loved that flavor too. ;) Probably didn't have too much of a different flavor though than the Turkey & Chicken Recipe. So we will be eating both those flavors. ~a~