Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

A hard decision has been made....(long)

Keri LewisKeri Lewis Member Posts: 113
edited 17 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Hi All, I have come to a decision that I know none of you will be happy with :-O. As most of you know I\'ve been having issues with both my kitties, be it stones or vomiting. I\'ll the give the lowdown....Pickles had 4 calcium oxalate stones removed and has to be on Royal Canin Urinary SO dry because it\'s the only thing she\'ll eat, and the stones are non-dissolvable so having them come back is not an option. Cinders on the other hand, I was attempting to switch to wet, which she enjoyed. BUT..she was vomiting daily, hairballs and vomit. Plus she was going through stages of not eating some of the wet. Long story short, hubby and I went away for the weekend camping, and came home to (wait for it) no puke! I had separated the two so Pickles could have her prescription food, and left Cinders with what she was eating before, Natural Balance Chicken and Pea dry. She has always done well on dry, being 11 years old and never a urinary problem. So now both are back on dry but one is on a special diet. While I am not happy about the prescription food, I don\'t want her getting these stones again! As for Cinders, I can\'t do the puking anymore. I have fed every good canned food available to me, and every hairball remedy but to no avail. My couch has been vomited on, the white carpets (i rent) have been vomited on more in 2 months than in the 11 years I\'ve owned them. They are both healthy and happy and this is all I can say at this point...phewww. Thank you all for your kind words, and helpful advice during these tough months, it was greatly appreciated.

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 6 September, 2010
    In the long run, you have to do what's best for your kitties, without worriying about what everyone here has to say about it! Purrsonally, I refuse to eat any canned food, so Meowma says, big deal, and gives me dry. I won't even eat the 'better' dry food very well, I chew up a lot of it and spit it back out. So, Meowma is putting me back on Purina ProPlan weight control. I was losing weight on it like I need to, as long as I'm not given free choice, and just got another perfect (except for overweight) vet check..and I'm 14.5 years old. Now, if meowma ever gets a kitten, she thinks she would start it on wet to avoid possible future problems, but she does think dry food is not the horrible cat killer some people seem to think it is, if kitties aren't fed too much of it. Many people have no idea that the right amount for most cats is much less than what you would think. As for the claim that cats don't drink much water, maybe they don't if there is wet food in the diet, but we haven't seen that problem here. And as for "cats in the wild don't drink water", look for "lion drinking', tiger drinking" or whatever, and see how rare it is.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 6 September, 2010
    I completely agree so don't feel like you have to explain anything to us. After having a kitty that didn't eat and then vomited everything, I would have given her ANYTHING if it stopped her health issues. You do what you have to do and as long as they are both feeling better, that's what counts! Some kitties believe it or not just tolerate the prescription food better. Makes no sense considering what's in it, but it can be the case. We're so glad they're doing much better and give them purrs and kisses from all of us! We just want a happy and healthy Pickles & Cinders!=;
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 6 September, 2010
    Hi, You can only do what is best for you. They\'re your cats and it\'s your decision. You don\'t have to explain anything. I did want to mention that I would have some concern about putting your cat back on the Natural Balance dry food when the other cat developed oxalate stones while eating that. I did look at the ingredients and the urine acidifier, Methionine, is pretty high up on the ingredient list. Over acidification is what can lead to oxalate stones. Most dry foods have these urine acidifiers added due to cats being prone to urinary problems on dry food (struvite crystals (the other type of crystal) and cystitis). Cats systems can take some time adjust to wet food. It\'s an entirely different food with much more moisture, so when you switch to wet you may have some vomiting and diarrhea until they adjust. And you have to find a food that works for your cat. Best wishes to you and your kitties. When we post about our concerns with dry food we are just sharing information. Not all cats develop problems with dry food, but there are many who do. Diabetes, urinary ailments, IBD and allergies are a few. I have a diabetic cat and I know eating high carb, grain-based dry food for years contributed to this disease. He\'s now in remission and appropriate diet is so important and helped him heal. That\'s why I am passionate about this subject. Sorry I didn\'t mean to go on so much. I know the food issue can be stressful. We\'re sending you lots of purrs! |:|
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 7 September, 2010
    I feel the same as Alex, and Gump, you do what you can, no explanations. We are just really passionate about feline nutrition is all, and only want to try and help in any way we can. Glad your kitties are feeling better. =;
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 17 September, 2010
    Don't worry, your kitties aren't the only ones who don't do well on wet. Hobie has liquid poo no matter how long he's on wet and Zelda vomits it up. Both tend to loose weight and really just look unhealthy on an all wet diet. I did discover, however, that I can mix about 1/4 can of wet with their dry and it seems to solve the problem. We just have to try our best and do what works for our furbabies. P.S. We
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 17 September, 2010
    Hey! Who buys the food, cleans up the mess, takes them to the vet and loves them. You do. No one else gets a vote!!! XOXO