What do you think of this food?

Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Member Posts: 1,439
edited 6 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon, potatoes, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, oceanfish meal, potassium chloride, methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein 34% (min.), Crude Fat 18% (min.), Crude Fiber 3% (max.), Moisture 10% (max.), Magnesium 0.1% (max.), Zinc 120 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Taurine 0.1% (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% (min.) Caloric Content: 3,935 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 6 September, 2010
    We dont' eat anything with barley in it. Barley is a grain that's comprised from gluten and it can give kitties the poops! The only grain we will eat at all is rice.;)
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 6 September, 2010
    It is certainly not a bad food and if it is within your budget and your kitties will eat it, go for it.
  • Kaila HobKaila Hob Virginia BeachMember Posts: 443
    edited 6 September, 2010
    It looks pretty good. I prefer grain-free, but this brand is fairly good for a grain-in food. What brand is it?
  • Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Member Posts: 1,439
    edited 6 September, 2010
    I'ts 4Health at TSC, tractor supply stores. A 5 pound bag is $7.00. So it is wayyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than other brands I have seen. One source said it is made by Diamond and compares to Taste of the Wild. Another source said it is not made by Diamond, so I don't know who the manufacturer is.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 6 September, 2010
    I think it would be more closely related to Diamond Naturals than TOTW, but if you check the address of the manufacturer on the back of the bag (its teeny, but it is there) and google it, you will find that it is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods. Not a bad food, but dry food is not really good to feed kitties, no matter how great of a food it is. I have to supplement with some dry because of my budget, but the majority of Maddox's food is canned/raw.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 6 September, 2010
    Found this discussion on a doggie board about 4Health. If you google 4Health cat food, alot of stuff comes up. So far no one has a prob with the food, their only concern seems to be, they are not sure who mfgs it. Some think Diamond, some think its by Tractor Supply, and its their exclusive brand. Which just means, they adjusted some formula, slapped Tractor Supply on it, and call it theirs. But the bottom line is, someone had to mfg it. If I understand the one post correctly, seem someone looked into it and was told it is privately owned. Ingredients look good, if price is a concern, and it is for alot of pet parents. My only concern would be, if one starts having probs with the food, who do ya go to? I myself, would go into Tractor Supply, and ask for the manager, and ask him/her, who mfgs 4Health. Do not accept, Tractor Supply, they don't mfg it, they just put their label on it, and sell it. If they give you a hard time or give you the run around, that, should be a red flag. Ask for the corp #, call them and ask them. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.dogforums.com/dog-food-forum/67781-4health-dog-food-tsc.html
  • Kaila HobKaila Hob Virginia BeachMember Posts: 443
    edited 6 September, 2010
    I really wouldn't be surprised if Diamond makes it. If not knowing who manufacturers it really bothers you, a 5lb bag of TOTW is usually about $10.00. It's more than 4health, but it is high-protein, so you may not have to feed as much. Anyway, if there's anything I know for sure about cat food, it's that you rarely find the 'perfect' diet for an individual cat without experimenting a little.:D