What\\\'s the best cat food both wet and dry?

Member Posts: 7
edited 17 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I give my cats Purina Pro Plan for dry and was giving them fancy feast for wet food. They grow bored of wet foods often, so I started giving them Meow Mix,and they seem to like it. Looking up ingredients and ratings online, it looks like neither the Purina, Fancy Feast or Meow Mix are really good. But at the same time, they love Purina, and I want them to like their food. Whats the best food both wet and dry that\'s not going to kill my pocket book, and at the same time, tastes really good so they will eat it? On a sidenote, they only like wet food that is in bits or chunks in gravy.

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 8 September, 2010
    The most important thing I have learned from this site is to make any food you choose, grain free. Alex has a nice site that lists alot of food info. I feed my 3 Wilderness Blue dry & they get ProPlan wet - grain free ones, but those are pate type. Alex has a list of grain free foods, even the lower priced ones. Now Blue is not cheap, but they eat less of it. I have not actually figured out the $ difference, but I can def see a difference in their coats, and how healthy they are. More casters will give you ideas too, there are alot of good dieas around here! Here is a link to Alex's site www.ibdkitties.net. I think the other info site is catinfo.org. Feel free to ask lots of questions, we all want to help each other!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 8 September, 2010
    Hey Tigger! Thanks so much! I'm wondering though. I just looked up the Purina Pro Plans and I don't see any of them that are grain free. Which ones are you eating? They all have grains in them as far as I can see on the ingredients.:D
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 9 September, 2010
    You can try the Wellness Pouches. Lots of gravy and chunks, look for the Grain free label on them. Also, Taste of the Wild wet is chunky. Although Hunter didn't like that at all. Weruva isn't really chunky, more like shredded but boy do cats love those! Good Luck!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Well....... I have been on that very long journey........ Bump loved his Goodlife, was free fed, grazed like a horse and ate like a truck driver. But....... then he started having tummy issues, was throwing up alot, judges are telling me he is getting too fat, took him in, yup, he needs to lose a few pounds. Vet wanted to put him on tummy issues Hills, oh...... no....... I said, this was the beginning of my learning about qualtiy feeds. Didn't know about all the others yet, was still learning and doing research, but I knew, Hills was to be avoided. So, the very long journey began, now we knew what we were looking for, now just gotta find one Bump would eat, beeeee-cause, he wanted his Goodlife back. Tried about every quality food out there, I ain't eatin' that crap he said, where is my Goodlife. Found Blue Wilderness, the blue one, chicken, he loves it! He would rather have his Goodlife back, mol, but I would rather have him healthy, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Eddie SEddie S north providenceMember Posts: 50
    edited 9 September, 2010
    What got my cat constipated in the first place was every brand you mentioned. Grains have no business in cat food, and as it ages you will see diabetic problems, definately digestive problems. If you care about your cat and want to avoid expensive vet bills feed the brands i mention below, but at least feed it organic. Putting flax seeds in the can food is not only beneficial but they dont seem to mind them--and my cat is the female version of Morris! Always go with organic, especially because they know what cats can, and CANT eat. I have this great holistic vet now that has enlightned me to things i hadnt considered before. I feed my cat raw meat half the time, cooked half the time. Her new diet (no dryfood save for the dehydrated stuff) keeps her spry and, drum roll....NOT constipated EVER. BTW, i decided to make some sacrifices and go with the holistic vet (her consultation fee was a bit high but oh well). Money I would be spending on eating out and gadgets I dont really need goes towards feeding my cat the stuff she needs (like organic canned that my vet recommends). Think about the vet bills you will be spared by feeding your cat right..... healthy is cheaper! Canned is a company called "Wellness". Dry or dehydrated is Country Pet Naturals. I got the chicken because she didnt like the lamb which was like lamb jerky.
    edited 9 September, 2010
    When switching a cat to a new food you must do so GRADUALLY, not all at once. If you do it all at once this may upset their stomachs and make them throw up.
    edited 9 September, 2010
    There is a lot of speculation on whether flaxseed actually does any good for cats or could be potentially adding to problems. I got this off a website that has vets answer questions: Flax seed oil contains around 13% linoleic acid but no arachidonic acid. Cats do not have the pathways to convert linoleic acid into arachidonic acid, so another source of arachidonic acid is necessary. Cats can only obtain arachidonic acid from animal products, so if you want to give your cat an essential fatty acids oil, consider a fish-based oil instead. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cat-Food-3490/2009/3/Flaxseed-Oil-Cats-Pet.htm. Not saying it's bad for them, They just can't convert it. I've just heard this before from several holistic vets and some others who are very knowledgable about it.:?
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Alex, they like the proplan chicken & liver or turkey & giblets - I will read the cans again cuz I thought there was no grain in it. eesh I hope I was right, I will feel terrible if they are not. Maizy will eat a bit of those two, but she loves the ocean fish & salmon. She only eats about a 1/2 tsp, so I figure that is not so bad. She refuses any other wet food, so I figured a little at least is good for her. I am going to check them cans right now!
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Hey Tigs! I just looked that one up and you're right, my bad! That particular one is grain free, sorry about that. I think I stopped halfway down the list because they all seemed to have either gluten, oatmeal or soy in them! Soy isn't a grain obviously but still not good for cats.:?
    edited 9 September, 2010
    The Turkey & Giblets definitely has wheat gluten Tigger. wheat gluten, meat by-products, soy flour, soy protein concentrate. There's only 2 out of all those flavors I found to be okay! The chicken & liver and the ocean whitefish & salmon.;)
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 10 September, 2010
    Team TOTW ;c; canned and dry, we love em both (TOTW=taste of the wild)
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 September, 2010
    Most of the foods you get at regular grocery stores are going to contain grains, glutens and other fillers. You want the first ingredients to be meat based (and not by products) - chicken, fish, etc. Buffalo Blue and Wellness are a couple of dry foods that have good ingredients. They can be puchased at places like Petsmart or other pet specialty stores.

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 13 September, 2010
    Go! Natural grain free Chicken, Turkey and Duck in canned and dry is yummy. I rarely get the dry nowadays though.
  • Patricia HeilPatricia Heil IpswichMember Posts: 14
    edited 16 September, 2010
    Orijen just won pet food of the year. They are from Canada. http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/ Go and Now are also good foods. http://www.petcurean.com/ We used to feed Innova Evo but stopped last month due to Procter and Gamble buying them out. They may stay OK but we are not taking a chance. We also feed Instinct and WeRuVa wet foods. http://www.naturesvariety.com/ http://www.weruva.com/ You may need to find a specialty pet food store for these. Wellness is sold at bigger stores and has grain free but doesn\'t a large company own them now as well?
    edited 17 September, 2010
    I agree Alex about the flax seeds, I forgot to mention that it was merely for the constipation. I put organic sunflower oil on her food and she seems to like it--some EFA's I think taste like fish oil to them.