Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Solid Gold Katz n Flocken

Hashini GunasingheHashini Gunasinghe Member Posts: 121
edited 27 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy's mommy (our grandma?!?!) brought us a big 15 pound bag of the Solid Gold Katz n Flocken because she's going to be cat sitting us for two weeks. Mommy's not familiar with the Solid Gold but she checked out the ingredients and it looked ok even though it wasn't grain free. Mommy has us on a rotation of Wellness, Evo, and Orijen dry foods but Evo and Orijen come from a specialty pet food store that mommy's mommy doesn't know about. We're excited about the new food (well we're excited about all food), is this an ok food? Mommy's started transitioning us over to the food alread cause she doesn't want to offend her own mommy but she hasn't heard much about this brand and it has less protein than we're used to. Mommy gives us Tiki Cat or Natural Balance cat food in the morning and then we have dry food all day long, so we have other sources of protein too. Also, I'm a little on the plump side so mommy's worried about me gaining even more weight from any grains.

Comments

• Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 12 September, 2010
    I know that Solid Gold is pretty good dog food. I would probably not advise feeding this long term because of the grains but I wouldn't think that a couple of weeks would be a big deal as long as your kitty is tolerating it ok. Check the amount of kcal/cup in your regular food and multiply that by how many cups you feed to get how many kcal your kitty usually gets per day. Then see how much of the Solid Gold that you would need to feed to equal the same amount of kcal (divide your cat's total kcal per day by the number on the bag to see how many cups). It could end up that your cat needs more or less of the solid gold to equal the same amount but again, I would think it shouldn't be a huge issue for just a couple of weeks.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 12 September, 2010
    Plump is ok at 6 months - I wouldn't start worrying about weight yet. But I wouldn't feed this food long term - meaning after this bag is done. You may want to do some research about dry food (I recommend catinfo.org) and in particular dry food with grains. It's just not a great choice for their long term health.
  • Danni BDanni B Member Posts: 123
    edited 27 September, 2010
    Solid Gold Indigo Moon is grain free, so you could try that in the future. :)