Best Food for Sensitive Stomach?

Robin FuchsRobin Fuchs Member Posts: 18
edited 23 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
After a visit to the vet today, I was told Mao\'s chronic diarrhea was due to a sensitive stomach, and to get a dry food that is easy him. Do any of you know of a reasonably priced dry food for this purpose? Thanks in advance! :-h

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 15 September, 2010
    What do you feed now? I suspect, that is what is causing the diarea. Read this link, by our good buddy Alex, and I am sure Alex will see this post, and be a tremoundous help to you. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.ibdkitties.net/index.html
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    Thank you very much Bumpurr!!! :D Can I ask what brand of dry food you're currently eating? Can you eat canned food at all? I would definitely recommend going grain free for either dry or wet food. If you go on the link that Bumpurr gave you and click on the commercial food link, I have a whole list of grain free, both of the premium kinds and of the cheaper kinds. Only the flavors I have listed are grain free and I include the website links so you can check the ingredients and where they're available. You have the tapeworm right? Was that you earlier today and you're still waiting on some fecal results? I would also consider getting an over the counter water filter. One that hooks right up to your sink and you can change the cartridges. Make sure to get one that clears parasites as well as the toxins. That's what we have! Sometimes all kinds of sneaky things can get into the water supply.
    Your very welcome Alex! :h You and your awesome site, are the first thing I thought of, to help her. Now, can you explain to me, more about this filter thingy, that you attach to the faucet? Sounds like it would work great, for Prowler, its been almost 2 yrs, and no crystals. They all get their wet food mixed with water, so its soupy, well, except for Mr I ain't eatin no wet food, mol, and it sounds like I would no longer have to buy the purified water for them to drink. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Mao, Freckles has a sensitive stomach/mild IBD and all dry food gave her diarrhea until I tried Halo Sensitive Formula turkey flavour. She really liked this and it didn't cause any diarrhea/soft stool. She eats mainly Trader Joe's canned food which she does well on and is very reasonably priced too. http://shop.halopets.com/Dry-Cat-Sensitive;jsessionid=ph7MMRTMwF32H4m2tBRCx2CzF4LvCn27YnxD2d3zFR3Q413VfrqX5YXl7VQys0lHLJJsG2cZTqhG5TxV64myTl0L4j7Nmv8yXKdp1PpwJmXkMb3qyNg2nSsLly6FPCS1!-197997108
  • Robin FuchsRobin Fuchs Member Posts: 18
    edited 16 September, 2010
    I was feeding them Meow Mix. There were so many options at the store and none of them seemed right. I ended up buying \"Healthful LIfe Purina Cat Chow\" Good Choice? =;
    Yes, this is the tapeworm kitty. He ate his pill with no problem so thats on the road to be taken care of. I know that tapeworms do not make the poo mushy, rather, its the food. So hopefully this new mix will work! *crosses fingers*
    Anything you get in the grocery store, is full of grains and by-products, which cause a plethera of health issues. I feed Blue Wilderness, the blue one, chicken, its by Blue Buffalo, you can get it at Petsmart. There are also other quality grain free foods out there, that the others can tell you about. :D Feeding BW, elimated Bumpurr's tummy issues and Prowler's crystals. Here is another good site to read. :D http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/ Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    Mao, you may want to do some research on feline nutrition and make some decisions that work for both you and mom. I had horrible, bloody diarrhea when I came to live with mom. Once she eliminated my prescription food and put me on a raw diet my tummy cleared up within 24 hours. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it was like magic for us. You'll find a lot of helpful information on Alex's mommy's site that can get you started with your research.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    Hmmmm, Purina is kaka (sp?) food I'm afraid. yucky stuff in there. It's true, most grocery store food is junk. If you HAVE to do grocery store stuff, the only thing is some of the wet foods that I list on the site with no grains. Other than that, the dry food you have to go to another store to get the good ones. It's worth it in the end because even though it's a little more money, it's better health for you. If you could switch to a wet food OR a raw diet, that would be ideal! Bumpurr, I'll send you a pawmail shortly about the filter and a link to buy one. They're not expensive and really worth it! =;
    thanks for all the info guys! good, informative stuff! will be doing some further research. thanks again! :)
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 17 September, 2010
    I tried every food that is recommended for "sensitive stomach" on Oscar and nothing helped except raw. I fed him Nature's Variety raw one day, and his diarrhea was gone in ONE day, forever. Just keep this in mind if nothing else helps. Nature's Variety grain free canned might help, or maybe grain free Wellness.
  • Charlene luportCharlene luport NapaMember Posts: 1,094
    edited 23 September, 2010
    I recently switchd the boys to taste of the wild venison and no more puking from pico helped his sensitive tummy alot. I get a big 15 pound bag for 28 bucks at my local feed store. I also found an awsome wet food called fussie cat its all humane grade and smells so good theres even whole shrimp in there and its made in the USA. Duno if fussie cat can be found outside of CA as there a small L.A based company.