Keeping kibble fresh?

Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
edited 25 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Maddox eats a predominantly wet/raw diet so he doesn't get a whole lot of kibble. However, there are days when I am away from home for 12-14 hours at a time and, him being a kitten, I want him to have something to munch on throughout the day so I leave out a small amount (no more than 1/8 cup) for him to snack on throughout the day. This creates the problem, though, that it takes him forever to go through even a small bag of kibble. The last bag of TOTW I bought him he only got through about 2/3 of the bag before it went rancid and I had to throw it out. I just bought a 2.5lb bag of Blue Wilderness and don't want to end up throwing out a lot of it too. Any tips for keeping it fresh? I currently leave the food in it's original bag, air rolled out after each use, and stored in an airtight plastic bin. I think I heard somewhere that you could freeze kibble to help it last longer but I don't remember if that is correct or not. Any tips?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 19 September, 2010
    Hmm, I keep an emergency supply of kibble for fosters that won't eat anything else and I put it in a zip lock bag in the fridge. I haven't had any reason to use it in months but I guess I should check it! How do you know it's gone bad? Anyone know if the fridge will keep it fresh?
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    Hey guys! I googly-googled it and found this site: http://www.bestbetpetsupplies.com/dogsupplies/dog-food-5-ways-to-help-keep-your-dogs-food-fresh.html. It's based on dry dog food but big deal, same thing as far as keeping it fresh. Good hints here!
  • Hannah RoseHannah Rose ChicagoMember Posts: 167
    I keep my cats kibble in airtight bug proof storage container and i dont keep in the fridge and it stays fresh. i use vittles vault storage container from petco.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    This bag of TOTW lasted about 3 months in an airtight container, so I guess it lasted quite a while haha. I hadn't fed Maddox any kibble in a couple days (like I said, he only gets it on days that I am going to be away from home for an extended amount of time) and then I gave him some Friday morning before I left for school. He munched a few pieces while I was getting ready to leave and almost immediately started throwing up. I then smelled it (which I probably should have done first) and it smelled a little off. He has always eaten this kind of kibble with no problems so I am assuming it just went rancid or something. Thanks for the link! Seems maybe I can put it in the freezer. I am thinking I will freeze about half of this bag and save it for later.
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 21 September, 2010
    Tupperware type containers work well. There are all sorts of cannisters you can buy @ pet specialty stores, but they can be expensive. I'm a single-cat-dad on a budget, I use washed out mixed nut containers, they come from big jars of snack nuts from stores like Costco and have a good airtight screw on lid. Matty has begun eating more wet and less dry since Selby passed on, so I have that problem too, I usually use a Sharpie and mark the exp date listed on the bag, then write the date the food was put into the plastic former nut tub.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 23 September, 2010
    It's best to keep it in the original bag inside an airtight container. The original bags are made to hold the food and keep it fresh, whereas just dumping it in a plastic container can leech away nutrients over time. However, if you really go through it slow, I'd put it in separate baggies and keep it in the freezer. You can freeze kibble for a long time without it losing nutrients. If kept in the fridge it will begin to lose nutrients.
  • Holly StonerHolly Stoner Member Posts: 23
    edited 23 September, 2010
    I agree with Hobert...the bags the food come in, at least these higher end foods, are designed to keep the food fresh, so I would keep in the bag, in a plastic air tight container.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 25 September, 2010
    I already leave the food in the original bag inside an airtight container. I was just looking for ways to keep it a little fresher because it gets stale towards the end of the bag. We go through it REALLY slow, like it took 3 months to go through 4lb of TOTW because Maddox doesn't eat it every day and doesn't eat much when he gets it (since he is primarily wet/raw and only gets kibble occasionally). I think I am going to try freezing a portion of it and leaving the rest in the bag inside the container. Hopefully this way he won't have to eat stale kibble for the last couple of weeks of the bag.