Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Wet food poopies?

Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
edited 25 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Hobie has never done great on an all wet diet. Since he can absolutely only eat Natural Balance duck & pea due to his allergies I'd like to mix the kibble with wet to prevent any possible urinary problems (he's had crystals in the past). Started him on the dry mixed with water and he did fine. Then began mixing in 1/4 can wet with the dry. It's been 6 days and his stools are still loose and his poos smell absolutely deadly. I'm not sure I can stand it. Should I hold out and see if things improve? Are things likely to improve? Any ideas?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 23 September, 2010
    Personally I wouldn't feed the dry if he's had urinary issues. But besides that, adding canned or water to the dry is a breeding ground for bacteria. It's not recommended.
  • Holly StonerHolly Stoner Member Posts: 23
    What BK said is true. Cody too has urinary problems and is a dry food addict, but I have changed his diet to be 70-80% wet food to 20-30% dry a day. Cody has IBD so I really have to make changes to his diet super slow. The poop issue will probably get better in time, it may depend on what type of wet food you are feeding. I would say go bit slower with the introduction, it may just be upsetting his intestinal tract, but it will probably improve.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    Nope, going all wet is not appealing to me. I tried awhile back and he lost weight, his fur dulled, and he had diarrhea for a month. Not putting him through that, it's obviously not optimal for his body. As for it causing bacteria, my cats eat their food in less than 5 minutes, so not concerned on that issue either. I really just wanted to know if other experienced prolonged diarrhea and horrendous poos on wet, or if it eventually cleared up.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 24 September, 2010
    I have that trouble with certain canned foods such as Evo and Wellness Core. Even trying Weruva once gave me mushy poo. And it does not smell pleasant! Mommy doesn't want to put me thru that either so she just keeps me on the food that works well for me. For some reason Wellness canned and pouches don't give me the mushy poo. My Vet said that wet food will give some cats soft poo. I think you said you have allergies so have to stay on a certain can of food. You are right that if you eat the food within 5 minutes or so, bacteria should not be a problem. You also try mixing in some plain pure canned pumpkin (NOT canned pumpkin pie) with the wet food and that will help give your poo some bulk. Most say you can have up to 2 tablespoons a day. Usually just a teaspoon mixed with your food will help. You could try doing that for a few days and see if it helps.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    A stinky poopie woke me up from a dead sleep last night! :-O Thanks for the pumpkin reminder, I've got some on hand for the dogs, but never thought about using it for the kitties! I wonder what it is about the wet that causes this? As a baby I mixed the Wellness pouches in his kibble and he never had an issue, and he's never had an issue with adding moisture by soaking the kibble. Hmm. The stinkies make me think he's having a harder time digesting it, and yet isn't wet supposed to be easier to digest?
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Sorry can you remind us again what food allergies your cat has? When you start to feed wet a cat that has been fed dry food will have issues. Their digestive system is not used to it, so it will take time for it to get better. Now that being said, that would be from feeding a high protein food, so just give it some time. If you are feeding a lower quality wet food it could be why the stinky wet poos. Also mixing the wet and dry together, even if its eaten right away can give stinky poos.
  • Holly StonerHolly Stoner Member Posts: 23
    edited 25 September, 2010
    Are you still feeding the Wellness pouches?? Or are you feeding something else? If something else, than I would have to say it sounds like it's the food doing this, and it may very well just improve once his system is used to it. If you are again feeding the Wellness pouches than I would think it's primarily because of it being a change in his diet and it should get better. Either way, it's a change. It can take some cats much longer than the commonly told 2 weeks to adjust to a new food. Most people and food companies tell you to make a gradual change over the course of 14 days (some may actually claim less)...but with Cody I have found that it still messes up his digestive system, so I go slower than that anytime I need to intro a new food. There could very well be something in the food you're feeding that he is having problems with, but I think many times it's just a transitional thing. I also think that most cats fed a wet food diet will have softer poo and it will likely be stinker. Wet food is like 70% water. Perhaps adding probiotics to his diet will get rid of the soft poos. You can do that by giving plain (not flavored and not light which may contain sugar substitutes) yogurt..I find that cats and dogs like it..not all cats though..Cody is one picky eater...but his dry food contains it.