Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Picky Eater - Which Food ??

Meredith PetersMeredith Peters Member Posts: 21
edited 29 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Charlie has become a picky eater along with 2 of my other cats. All 3 of them are refusing their Wellness canned food, all flavors. The vet tech said they all feed their cats Pro Plan weight management food. I was pretty disappointed after reading what's in the food! But of course the 3 cats are eating it like crazy. I would prefer they not be on a diet that has corn, etc. in it. What is a good canned food diet for picky eaters. We feed them 75% canned food and 25% dry food.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 27 September, 2010
    You are right not to want to feed that food. Go to my website, click on the commercial foods page and check on the long list of grain free foods, both canned and dry. www.ibdkitties.net. There's PLENTY to choose from and you can check out the ingredients on each site's links I've provided. None of these have grains. Some have only particular flavors that are grain free. You should try another food or a couple and then keep rotating to different foods. This decreases the chances of them getting bored with their food and developing food allergies. I also have a switching foods page with the link at the top of that commercial foods one. Good luck!%:D%
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    I highly recommend Blue Wilderness, chicken, the blue one, its by Blue Buffalo. When I did the research, to find a better quality food, it had to be dry, as Bump will not eat wet, BW was the only one he would eat, and i about tried them all, and was pretty much, running out of options. BW also comes in wet. You can get it at Petsmart or Petco. :D http://bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/wilderness-cat.shtml
  • Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooeleMember Posts: 1,805
    A couple months ago, we took our kitties completely off of Science Diet Prescription C/D because we found out how bad the ingredients in it were. They were only on it because Greenlee had urine crystals. Now we have her on Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice recipe dry food (They LOVE this food!) And we also just turn the water of the focet on when we see Greenlee because she drinks from the tap! And for the other 2 kitties, we just have a fresh cup of water in the bathroom for them to drink out of. Anyway, I guess my point is, I think most kitties love Blue Buffalo hard food and I\'m sure your kitties would love Blue Buffalo canned food or Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned food. Good luck with your search for the best food for your kitties!!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    We always heartily reccomend Weruva. It's pricey, but it works for picky eaters like us. We too used to eat Wellness wet, and all of a sudden, a few months ago, just stopped. We think something changed in the formula of the food, and it made us not like it anymore. We also used to eat Merrick's, but pretty much turn up our noses at anything other than Weruva these days. :-$
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 28 September, 2010
    Hunter is a picky boy too. I was getting so frustrated trying to find a food he would eat! I would spend money left and right trying different foods, just so he could turn his nose up and walk away. He too just stopped eating the Wellness a few months ago. I don't know why. Anyway, I was told that rotating his diet is best, even my vet said that. However, it wasn't the best for Hunter. I tried different foods VERY SLOWLY for about 4 weeks or so. I think it made him even more picky. This is what works for Hunter: Breakfast is Weruva: PawLicken Chicken, Nine Liver, Cat on the Wok, Steak Frites. Lunch and Dinner: Addiction Buffalo and Addcition Rabbit Merrick Cowboy Cookout Natures Variety Lamb. Dry: Wellness Core in the process of switching to Orijen. You have to figure out what your cats will and will not eat. Hunter HATES Turkey, will not touch any chicken pate, dislikes Venison, doesnt like Duck either. It was really hard to try and find a system that works for him. Oh and Alex recommended we try Eagle Pack Transition. Hunter LOVES that stuff! I mean he comes running when he sees the little bottle come out of the fridge. He will lick it off the floor. Plus it has helped with his appetite. (he was so picky he wouldn't eat) I also bought stainless Steel bowls. They're great. I got them at Petco. I also find that if I deep clean them before I put his food down, he is more apt to eat from it. Its quirky things like that I've found out that work for him. There are so many different foods out there and I think Hunter has tried them all. Once I found a few kinds of food that he likes, I stuck with it. He does get a rotation but its food that he'll eat and I'm not introducing more foods. Its really hard and frustrating, but once you find what works, stick with it!! Good luck! :-h
    I like what you're doing with Hunter because he's getting a very good variety of top notch foods in the course of even one day! Good job!!! Even though it was difficult, he's still having very good meals and good food. Different proteins and different brands. Hurray!!!|/h/|
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    Thanks Alex! Without your help, I would of gone nuts! That Eagle Pack transition powder is a miracle in a bottle! I'm still shocked that he likes it so much since he isn't really a fan of chicken flavored anything! :) He still isn't eating everything in his bowl, but its getting better. I came home yesterday to an empty plate, He even ate the veggies!!!! Now thats progress! :)) I feel comfortable with what I'm feeding him. I do like the fact that he is getting 4 different proteins from 4 different brands. Its a work in progress, but things are definately good with him right now. No more obsessive mom! (well for the time being anyway) LOLOLOL Thanks for all the emails, advice etc. THATS WHY YOU ARE AWESOME ALEX!! ;c;%:D%~a~|/h/|
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    Talk about PICKY... thats my middle name. I wont even discuss the pickyness of our eating habits. We use a variety of 4 wet foods, one dry.. switching it up. MOM is fed up with us.. so shes says as long as we are not losing weight.. so be it. We feed expensive grain free so these picky eaters will have to deal. We are tired of being a slave to cat food.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    Eat it or go hungry, just like Grandma used to say. MOl, dont worry as you can see we are not starving.
    edited 29 September, 2010
    Oh my goodness, that's the old generation's way of thinking "eat or go hungry!" It's too easy for a kitty to get fatty liver if they don't eat. But as long as they are getting enough calories and you're already feeding them grain free, then it's something you'll have to work around. As long as they're healthy! Hunter your momma is doing a GREAT job with you and I'm thrilled to see you getting better with your food. Good boy sweetie!! That's pawsome when our pawents see that we've cleaned our plates. Hmmmm yummm! You'll be a much happier and healthier kitty and from the sounds of it, you're already there!;c;